Guest viewing is limited

TKR Reassurance needed

Seen my GP she thinks its my anxious state but say to up my sleeping meds to 15mg from tonight.
I thought the lack of sleep would have stating to lessen as I am more mobile, driving, going for walks maybe not very long ones. Going upstairs using both legs still working on down.
My PT said my ROM is 119 & 2. Will now be doing water one day and one day land (a little anxious about the land PT dont want be pushed to hard which I have mentioned to him.) I might not be doing enough to feel tied at night.
Drinking water taking Protein shakes.
Having health anxiety suck's, story of my life.
Thanks for your timely replies I do need reassurance.
Lesley x
 
@William1950
Hello Lesley, I’m sorry you have this anxiety. Your knee will get better, there’s so much evidence to back this up on here. However upping the PT and exercise too much can be counterproductive for your knee as it’s only 2 m since your op. I found my sleep gradually improved after 3-4 months and I just accepted some nights I wake. When this happens I read, then go back to sleep again. The best thing about retirement means if I need to sleep til 9 on my second sleep then I can. I still have a couple of nights like this every week and for me it now seems to be my normal.
I have a stack of books ready for my revision procedure and just accept there’ll be a lot of sleepless nights and it’s going to happen. It’s all normal and part of the healing process. I hope this helps. Apparently before electricity and modern life two sleeps were perfectly normal so just lean in to it and that way you’ll get enough sleep.
I’ll post the activity guidelines here. Take care.
 
hi Lesley, it's commendable you're trying many different things to deal with what is a difficult situation. i agree with @Legseleven about too much exercise possibly being counterproductive at this point. i sympathize.. .i would love to get fitter (and lose some weight) but i really have to rein myself in so i don't overstress this baby knee.

same sort of thing about lack of sleep as @Legseleven says. accepting that it's uncomfortable but not dire helps me take my reactions down a notch. "this too shall pass"! sort of helps anyway
 
William1950 does listening to music help you to calm down? There are numerous things you can listen to to try an occupy your mind while your trying to go to sleep. YouTube is wonderful, as are several of the streaming services. We have music on at night. Its just something peaceful to listen to while falling asleep. And when I make a restroom run during the night its just soothing hearing it playing when I get back in bed.

It's just at least worth a try if you've not tried it. And during the day if you feel sleepy take a nap. Naps are underrated. They can refresh you and turn the rest of your day into a great day. (Now if I'd only listen to myself!)
 
Going upstairs using both legs still working on down.
My PT said my ROM is 119 & 2.
That all sounds really excellent. I couldn't do stairs normally even just up for months; and I can hike fairly serious rocky trails now.
Try not to worry- you are making great progress.
 
I might not be doing enough to feel tied at night
Recovery is a big deal and aside from the anxiety you're dealing with by all reports your recovery sounds normal.
Your mind is spinning a bit because you've been through a lot and your normal routine was shaken up. Sometimes that includes our activity / social life evaporating. If you're not doing much daily, consider scheduling at least one activity per day, and try to follow through whether you're feeling interested, or not. Something like sitting in a coffee shop having a coffee with a friend, or even alone and people watching. Your physical therapy counts. Errands count, engaging in a hobby, if you have a favorite one counts, etc. When you find yourself in a cycle of negativity, maybe it will help to call a friend as a distraction, or invite a friend or family member over for a meal or for coffee to visit. I also think the breathing exercises and relaxation music suggested here may be calming for you. I wish you peace and hope you sleep well tonight.
 
Hey...I almost forgot....Abbey Rd!
How did it go? What did it feel like walking in there?
Was the sound fantastic? I must have felt a bit surreal. Please tell us all about it, I'd love to hear, William.
@William1950
 
Hey...I almost forgot....Abbey Rd!
How did it go? What did it feel like walking in there?
Was the sound fantastic? I must have felt a bit surreal. Please tell us all about it, I'd love to hear, William.
@William1950
Layla thanks for asking it’s tomorrow Sunday got my cane to hand even though I don’t need it’s so I can a seat on the trains, with others on there going to the London marathon. :heehee:
We are singing A Little Respect and Someone You Loved. Going be a long day. I know this site is about recovery of the TKR but I will try and post a pic from Abbey Road studio if I can as this part of recovery.
My name is Lesley I use my late husband as my user name.
 
Good luck! At least you are lucky with the weather. It is a perfect. Spring day here in London. Sunny but not too hot
 
Yes!
This is definitely part of your recovery and I can't wait to hear all about it from navigating the train to getting through your two songs at Abbey Road Studios. So exciting! I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Two months post TKR and look at you, you're still moving forward, still engaging in things that matter, it shows your strength and we're rooting for you...big time! Please do share a photo. You've go this, Lesley! :yes: :thumb:
@William1950
 
Well got to Abbey Rd I could have done with a good night sleep only got four hours. I know it might be some more weeks/months to come right, just a few more hours would be nice.

Anyway had a great time sung 3 songs in total. Trains full due to the London Marathon and also Football at Wembley what a day. Weather really good here.

My knee is doing well I just wish my body and brain take that onboard and let me sleep. I have no pain at night I just wake and I am aware of blood flow by the pounding in my ear that’s the frustrating part. I am assuming that the body is still in repair mode.

Anyway good day I am now icing and elevating.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Reassurance needed
    968C0AF6-A379-41D5-AD02-387A9F95ADBA.webp
    122.8 KB · Views: 11
  • [Bonesmart.org] Reassurance needed
    B03E1536-7BEF-4B96-A725-4F743C5F48DD.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 12
  • [Bonesmart.org] Reassurance needed
    582271AE-C894-4CAF-910F-5EC6BAD28B95.webp
    82.7 KB · Views: 11
what a wonderful report @William1950! so glad you made it to London, did your recordings --in spite of the uncomfortable obstacles--and now are safe home continuing your recovery. glad to hear your spring weather is lovely!
 
Hi Lesley,
How exciting for you! I'm happy to hear that your knee is behaving. It sounds like the trek to Abbey Road Studios was a success given the train ride you endured and I'm assuming you had to be on your feet for quite some time. Thanks for sharing the photos, it's always nice to be able to picture those we're communicating with.
Wondering if your GP suggested you check in with her again if the "pounding in the ears" doesn't resolve soon?

Thankfully you're having a good day. I hope it remains that way throughout the week. :SUNsmile: Stay in touch, we're here for support always.
@William1950
 
Whoa amazing Abbey Rd, great stuff.
Please do try not to let the sleep issue dominate. It’s all normal and will improve. I’m now relaxed about my two separate sleeps in a night when it’s a wakeful one, and that way I get enough shut eye. I also use the Benson Meditation when I’m awake at night, you can look it up. Sometimes I listen to gentle music, or listen to falling rain. I’m definitely not looking forward to the lack of sleep post my imminent revision op but I know this too will pass.
Sounds like the knees and you did great on the train and with the singing too. Congratulations.
 
Hi everyone on week 10 week 11 soon. I know I written this before but it’s the sleep issue yet again had some good nights sleeping but then also having early wake ups as well. I wake up naturally with no pain but then cannot get back to sleep which is frustrating. I have tried to take on board what you all previously posted back to me. I sort of understand what is happening I think the knee is still healing but my subconscious is still in overdrive, fight or fight mode. I think I might have got tolerance to my Mirtazaphine which can happen. My anxiety is having a field day. Seeing my counsellor on the 14th hoping she can help move my mindset. from what I have read it can be up to12 weeks for sleep to get near to normal if not a little longer.
PT going well I am not being pushed, he said my ROM is getting there when he went to do the measurement today I said he rather not, he happy to leave it as I am on track.
Need your good vibes and of course reassurance.
 
I also had sleep problems come and go during the early months of recovery. As you describe: several good nights and then, suddenly waking up in the wee hours and unable to go back to sleep.

When I couldn't sleep, I'd make myself get out of bed and go for a little walk -- back and forth in the hallway, up and down the stairs. Sometimes that was enough for me to get back to sleep. Other times, it wasn't.

I think for many of us, it's just part of the recovery journey. Try not to let your anxiety turn it into something more than that. When your mind goes there, see if you can focus instead on how far you've already come.

You're doing great!
 
Hi Lesley,
I agree with, benne68, that instead of laying in bed when you wake and start having anxious thoughts...get up and try to read, or listen to some calming music, without any phone scrolling or internet searches.
If you're sleeping at all during the day, maybe try cutting that out also to see if it helps you sleep better / longer overnight. If you feel you've built up a tolerance to your prescribed meds, possibly you could speak with whoever prescribed them over the phone for some advice.

If there are specific negative thoughts or worries you're having in relation to your surgery or recovery and you think we can help, please let us know. Give us a chance to debunk it all. :wink:
You're making good progress, try to take comfort in that.
@William1950
 
it sounds like you're having a good recovery, @William1950 , congrats on all your work to get this far. sorry you have the extra dimension of dealing with anxiety. it does sound like you're taking very positive steps to deal with it.

sleep, ugh, i can relate! tomorrow is 8 weeks since surgery for me and it's definitely the choppy journey @benne68 describes. after a couple of relatively good sleeps, last night i had a ridiculous and very vivid nightmare smack dab in the middle of the night. by the light of day i can be much calmer about it than when it hit me out of the blue in the dark!

next time i wake up and can't get back to sleep i think I'll try some of the suggestions here, like a little walk around the house, or even some gentle stretching.
 
So sorry you are struggling with your anxiety, I don’t have any advice but wanted to send you a virtual hug and hope that your appointment on the 14th goes well and you are able to get some relief.
The sleep issue can be so demoralizing and hard to deal with I really feel for you.
I also think you are doing brilliantly and have achieved so much so far, though I know it’s not so easy to see that for ourselves.
The community here is awesome and they are always here for you and hopefully you can get some reassurance
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom