Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ready To Move On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew. A grand total of 11 hours from start to finish yesterday. It was fun--glad it's done! I love seeing young couples beginning their married lives together. I did have to nudged my husband at the "sickness and health" portion of the ceremony and give a little wink. I had a 3 hour nap this afternoon. I guess my body thought it needed a little R and R.

One thing I have noticed during my last few outings, especially yesterday, is how much the surface I am standing/walking on makes such a difference in my comfort. Concrete is miserable. I am able to tell if the surface underneath carpet is concrete within a few minutes of standing on it.

Hope you all have a great start to your week, and that it is a week filled with improvements and encouragement.
 
Toothfairy, maybe you could get one of those waterproof bandages that are completely sealed all around so you can take a bath. I hope that closes up soon as the water therapy, be it bathtub, jacuzzi or swimming pool helps me tremendously. Take care!
 
Thanks SadKnee I see my physio on Tuesday and my consultant for my 6 week review next Wednesday so I will ask their advice.
I am really looking forward to using the bath and the pool.
@Ready your weekend sounds great. How are you doing today? It is hard on our recovering bodies to have these outings but so very good for our souls!
Have a great week,
Toothfairy x :bicycle2: :wink:
 
Ready, I am just now catching up with you and your thread and you continue to give me hope for the future! :snork: I'm so glad to hear that your talk with your principal went well and that you have additional time to take care of you. It will really make you a stronger teacher for your students when you return more recovered and healthy!

Wow, the wedding sounds like it was wonderful! 11 hours though - I may need a nap just thinking about that! :heehee: You are so smart to nudge your hubby at the sickness and health vows, a little reminder goes a long way!

I agree with Toothfairy about how much you are able to do with PT! Even though I am at PT for a little more than an hour, 15 minutes are with heat to start, and 15 minutes are with ice to finish and the remainder of the time in between is spent on (or near) the table with stretches and leg lifts and soft tissue massage.

How are you feeling today post wedding day outing?
 
Hey, more snow in Minnesota today. It's the winter that never ends...I think I have recovered from my long outing this weekend. No additional swelling or new pain.

My therapist is a bit surprised, too, at all we are doing. There are a lot of things he has me skip in the office, like toe raisers or "clamshell" lifts on my side, anything he knows I will do at home. He knows my obsession with ice, so he leaves that up to me. We then focus on stretching and functional strength--things I need equipment or his assistance for. I am fortunate to have a fairly high pain threshold and a background in athletics. I realize that could be a dangerous combination and could work against me if I push too much, but I think I am being pretty careful.

Met with my OS today and came home with my tail between my legs. He was kind of upset that I am not taking the heavy duty slow release ocycontin anymore. It was mystified after reading so many threads from people who cannot even get their pain meds renewed. I truthfully don't feel I need it. The tramadol and quick release oxycodone keep me very comfy. My husband was with me and backed me up. I got scolded again when he found out I was going to PT 2 days one week, and 1 day the next. He want me there 2 days a week. Then, he raised his eyebrows when I asked about returning to work and told me we will talk about that in 5 weeks when I come back. I don't think he trusts me because he sent a work order to my school. I have been so excited and encouraged with my progress. I know I have made some poor decisions and have been a member of the over-did-it club, but I am learning to listen to my body and the signals it is giving me. Now I know how my students feel when they are reprimanded.

I need to process the thought of an additional 5 weeks and just learn to enjoy the time off. I stopped at school today to let my principal know the time frame. I visited with folks there for about an hour and left in tears. I really miss my peer and those kids. I only saw a few kids, but they look so big! In the mean time, I brought home a few projects to do for some other teachers. Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble and unload. 4-6 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow--doesn't exactly help my mood.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Ready To Move On
Count your blessings, Ready, that you have an OS who cares and has your best interest at heart. Some have not been so lucky. It's still mighty early in your recovery, so do be careful not to overdo the PT---it has a way of coming back to bite you if you do.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Ready To Move On
 
We had 79 in Connecticut today! It was beautifully warm and sunny and of course I went back to work this week. Hang in there - it will be chilly again here in another day or so and maybe the warmth and sun will come your way. The weather sure is predictably unpredictable!
 
Glad you made it to school for a quick visit! Aren't we blessed to have a career that is so rewarding and means so much to us that we miss it so dearly when we are not there?

I'm glad that you have the right mindset about being patient and allowing yourself this additional 5 weeks to heal and recover. I think we all get so used to powering through when things are tough (like working through the unrelenting arthritis pain pre-surgery) that it can be hard to give our bodies the proper amount of time to heal and recover fully.

My physical therapist reminded me just Monday that although I am doing very well for being in my third week, that this recovery is measured in months not weeks or days so there is a long road ahead. She was very pleasant about it and was still encouraging and supportive of my current progress, but was trying to remind me not to get too ahead of myself only to be disappointed in the weeks to come.

I hope today finds you well and enjoying your additional time off! Have you decided to pick up any new (or old) hobbies to help pass the time?
 
Thanks for the posts. I am feeling better today about my visit to the OS. You are right when you say he has my best interest at heart. Yesterday, we also talked about having my right knee done this June. We will confirm a date at my next appointment.:) I have to remember that and allow myself to take my time--that has never been something I am good at. Maybe I will get caught up on my scrapbooks and experiment with some on-line scrapbooking.

Another question: I wake up every 1-2 hours lately-not because of pain, but because of HOT FLASHES. I haven't had a hot flash in 7 months. In the last week, I have 7 every night! It's getting old washing sheets every morning in addition to being pretty tired. Any thoughts? The only change I have made is adding acetaminophen to replace the oxy. Today I am going to try (TRY) to avoid sugar and see if that is the culprit. I usually avoid sweets, but people have showered us with delicious desserts, plus leftover Easter goodies, so I have been sampling--a lot.

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!
 
I tend to have hot flashes too and I don't bother changing my sheets everyday it would be way too much work. Pull your covers back and let them air dry and change your pillow cases only so that you are not working at making the bed everyday.

Hang in there.
 
Thanks, Aileen. Good advice. This hasn't been going on long, but I will NOT be going through the laundry routine any longer. Perhaps it was a coincidence, but I did not take Tylenol last night and I only had one bout of sweating, and that was at 5 a.m. I will try again tonight. You said you went back to work this week. How did it go?
 
Going back to work has been ok. There are some issues with the heigjt of the desk and tjerefore my chair which is not good ergonomically and while I raised the problem, im not sure if/when it will be resolved. Also, there is a lot of up and down and back and forth so my knee is a bit swollen and sore but not horrible. Right now I am a temp so if my concerns are not addressed I may say bye bye even tho i need the paycheck. Ihas been a long week and I am tired but overall ok. I apologise for typos i am using my phone.

Thanks for asking.
 
I haven't read all the replies yet, but this is a great place to learn. I don't get to spend as much time as I would like here. But what I have the people are great and take the time to welcome you.
:egypdance:
 
Yes, this is such a great place for getting answers and reassurance. Whippetlover, when I first read your name, I thought it said Whippedlover. I got a good chuckle when I refocused and reread your name. I am about a week more out than you are. I think my recovery is going pretty steadily.

So, Aileen, do you have the weekend off? I hope you can get those ergonomics figured out. A paycheck does help ease the stress of it all. Earlier this week I was so disappointed to be told I could not return to work yet, but as the week has progressed, I see the wisdom in that. I would never be able to handle it. I am still too dependent on ice packs and pillows. Why do I always think I know better??

Have a restful weekend.
 
Hi Ready, I am pleased that you have adjusted to the thought of more time off.
Like you I was beginning to feel I ought to be thinking about work but a day out yesterday convinced me I am in no way ready yet. I have been signed off for another four weeks and will see how I feel nearer the time.
We don't do ourselves any favours by not allowing enough time to recover from this surgery. A few more weeks off now and being ready to return to work is surely better than rushing back early and setting our knees back. It is time to be a little selfish and put our own health first. Not easy when we are used to be focused on work and deadlines and keeping the show running.
I plan to make the most of my time off spending time with my husband and enjoying long lost hobbies from a previous life when I used to have time to do things other than work and sleep. Maybe it is time for me to try to permanently adjust my work/life balance again to regain some free time.
Have a great day,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :dancy:
 
I am pleased that you have adjusted to the thought of more time off.
I wish that I had waited to return to work. My OS said that eight weeks would be OK, so I was excited to return to the classroom.

Little did I know that, while my mind was ready to return to work, my knees were not there yet---and I was stiff and sore for quite some time.

Looking back, I now know that by returning to work that early, I essentially slowed my recover down considerably.
 
After my 1st knee i returneed after 8 wks. It was ok since it was mostly a desk job but tje first couple of wks were tough even with icig at work. This time it was 4 months simply because i didnt have a job and i must say i still got a little sore and stiff bit no set nack. Honestly, i would love to not have to work, kinda nice being around my soon to be both in college and moved away kids but single parentig doesnt pay tje bills so work it is. Yes I have weekends off. My hours are 9-5 M-F. True banker hours.
 
Hey, more snow in Minnesota today. It's the winter that never ends...I think I have recovered from my long outing this weekend. No additional swelling or new pain.



My therapist is a bit surprised, too, at all we are doing. There are a lot of things he has me skip in the office, like toe raisers or "clamshell" lifts on my side, anything he knows I will do at home. He knows my obsession with ice, so he leaves that up to me. We then focus on stretching and functional strength--things I need equipment or his assistance for. I am fortunate to have a fairly high pain threshold and a background in athletics. I realize that could be a dangerous combination and could work against me if I push too much, but I think I am being pretty careful.



Met with my OS today and came home with my tail between my legs. He was kind of upset that I am not taking the heavy duty slow release ocycontin anymore. It was mystified after reading so many threads from people who cannot even get their pain meds renewed. I truthfully don't feel I need it. The tramadol and quick release oxycodone keep me very comfy. My husband was with me and backed me up. I got scolded again when he found out I was going to PT 2 days one week, and 1 day the next. He want me there 2 days a week. Then, he raised his eyebrows when I asked about returning to work and told me we will talk about that in 5 weeks when I come back. I don't think he trusts me because he sent a work order to my school. I have been so excited and encouraged with my progress. I know I have made some poor decisions and have been a member of the over-did-it club, but I am learning to listen to my body and the signals it is giving me. Now I know how my students feel when they are reprimanded.



I need to process the thought of an additional 5 weeks and just learn to enjoy the time off. I stopped at school today to let my principal know the time frame. I visited with folks there for about an hour and left in tears. I really miss my peer and those kids. I only saw a few kids, but they look so big! In the mean time, I brought home a few projects to do for some other teachers. Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble and unload. 4-6 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow--doesn't exactly help my mood.


Hi Ready,
I just found your posts. I hope you are continuing to do well. I wanted to comment about going back to work too soon. I am an early childhood school psychologist. I went back to work after the Christmas holidays, which put me at 11 weeks. It was just about perfect for me. I too thought that I could possibly go back to work sooner, but I am really glad that I didn't, and glad that my OS encouraged me to take the time. The first full day when I spent a majority of it sitting in a preschool sized chair at a preschool sized table, I was looking for the ice the minute I got home! I then began to keep ice packs at school, so I could apply during lunch time or when returning phone calls or emails. Your job as a phys ed teacher will have you on your feet a lot, and that also will be a source of inflammation and discomfort. So, be good to yourself, and take the time if you can. You'll be happier in the end. I am six months post op now, and still get twinges (which I believe is normal) when I am on my feet for too long.
 
Another question: I wake up every 1-2 hours lately-not because of pain, but because of HOT FLASHES. I haven't had a hot flash in 7 months. In the last week, I have 7 every night! It's getting old washing sheets every morning in addition to being pretty tired. Any thoughts? The only change I have made is adding acetaminophen to replace the oxy. Today I am going to try (TRY) to avoid sugar and see if that is the culprit. I usually avoid sweets, but people have showered us with delicious desserts, plus leftover Easter goodies, so I have been sampling--a lot.

Ready, I was getting night sweats from the Vicodin. Sounds like you stopped taking narcotics, so beats me. I kept a change of tee shirts near my bed!
 
Thanks for your comments leenie60, Spingirl and referee54 about your experiences going back to work. I appreciate it. I have settled into the idea now of being home and know it is the best for me. I don't know what I was thinking. We had friends over for dinner and to play cards last night, which meant sitting at a table. 2 hours in I was looking for ways to get comfortable. Then this morning I could hardly keep my eyes open in church, which usually isn't the case. Like Toothfairy I will spend my time off with my farmer/husband. Believe it or not, it is snowing AGAIN, so he won't be working his fields any time soon. Maybe he should plant SNOWPEAS this year.

Vicodin is oxycodone and acetaminophen, right? I take them separately, so that combination might be what is causing the night sweats. I always wake up as they start, so I just sit up and strip off my shirt until it passes and I cool down. Thankfully I fall asleep again easily, but it makes for long nights.

Have a great day all. Anyone up for a Sunday nap?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom