Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ready To Move On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting some conflicting information. My OS just refilled my prescriptions for 2 different pain meds with nothing but a phone call. I read here about the importance of keeping up with the pain meds and not to wean off too soon. Today PT said I should be tapering off by now so I am just using Tylenol. I know I am not ready for that! He has been so great so far and I have really felt like he's not pushed me farther than I've chosen. It really threw me when he said that. Hmmmm

BTW I reached 104 today! I celebrated with a delicious dark chocolate Dove.
 
Hey, Ready......Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on that 104!!! It IS a good feeling to know your progressing, isn't it??

I don't have any advice about pain medication except I've learned that it's much too early for us to go to just Tylenol! I've been trying to get off of my Tylenol #3 so my body could have a few days without a narcotic before I have to start the strong stuff again for knee #2, but it's just not working. I have tapered it down, but I still need a little to get through the day and to sleep at night. Maybe you could try putting some extra time between doses now or lower the dose a bit? If you do it slowly, it should work ok.

I find it troubling that all of the advice we get from different sources is all different! My OS says one thing, my regular doctor says something else, and the therapist has other advice! We really do have to look out for ourselves!

I really think your body will let you know when you can stop the pain meds. It'll just get easier and easier as time goes on. For now, do what you need to do and don't worry about what others say!

Take good care!
 
Thanks Dewey. Just posted on your thread--I think about you and your situation often!
 
Hello Ready! Glad to hear that things are going so very well for you. You sound to have had a great early recovery so far. I am a few weeks behind you, and cannot even imagine driving or a trip to the mall! I bet that little bit of independence felt wonderful - I am just now starting to get "over" the sitting around all the time asking for someone to hand me this, or reach me that, or fetch me ice, etc.. I look forward to feeling up to some of those tasks soon - thanks for the pre-view.

I too am an elementary school teacher and I hope you have decided to lengthen your time off. While you probably "could" go back at 6 weeks, you may set yourself back a little in regards to stamina and swelling. Maybe you can give yourself 10 weeks and reassess at that point. Especially since you are a PE teacher and will be on your feet and wanting to play and demonstrate all day long!

As for the medication thing, I would listen to your body. I can respect the PT or a doctor wanting to be sure patients know they don't have to be taking the medication if not needed. However, you said you tried, but aren't ready yet, I wouldn't push it - why put yourself through unnecessary pain and stiffness.

Hope you are having a good day and that back of yours isn't bothering you too much. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for your lovely post, Sarah. I appreciate the reassurance. Why is it that even when we know what is right, we need to hear it from someone else? Somewhere in all of this there is a lesson for me to trust my own instincts.

Hope you are doing well. Missing your students? As much as I love my students, I will admit that I didn't really think about them until this past week. Maybe it is a sign that I am mending and my mind can go other places. All the best to you.
 
Hi Ready, congratulations on good progress and having survived your first month ( give or take a couple of days) of TKR rehab.
I have cut out my dose of pain meds in the middle of the night as I don't seem to need it at the moment. I still leave them handy every night just in case. I tried missing out my afternoon dose yesterday but my knee told me in no uncertain terms that it was not ready to miss that dose yet.
I have decided that the knee is the boss in these matters, I don't see the point in suffering. Hope things continue to progress well for you on your journey,
Toothfairy x :happydance: :egypdance:
 
Congratulations on your impressive recovery! I am just a month ahead of you. I noticed the most significant improvement in how I felt at the 6 and 7 week time frame. So, try not to rush back to work too soon.
 
Sarah, see what fringe benefits we get for having this surgery: naps and comfy clothes. I have napped more in the past month than in my entire adult life put together. Can't believe what I have been missing out on!

Milestone: My son passed his driver's test today. I am not sure how I feel about that...besides older.
 
Hi Ready, just popped onto your thread to say hello & I am so pleased that your recovery is progressing so well! Like Sarah, I'm a couple of weeks after you, so it's good to take a peek into the future (I know all recoveries are different, but just simple things, like Toothfairy doing 5km on her bike & Gami baking those gorgeous buns) all make us following behind y'all very positive about the future! So, keep it up! :puppysmooze:
 
Glad to hear all the recovery is going so well gives us all waiting lots of encouragement!:yahoo:
 
Thanks for popping in. Isn't it neat how we cheer each other on, we celebrate each others' progress and hurt for each other when there are setbacks. What a blessing this site is!

I have also been trying to see what meds I can skip and which ones I need to continue taking. I had my toughest night so far last night--nothing like what some here have experienced--but spent too much time watching the clock in the dark. I ended up going back to bed after seeing my kids off to school and slept until nearly 10:00! I will try something different tonight.

I spoke with my principal today and told her officially that I will not be back on April 15 as I had initially planned. Of course, she was fine with that and we will take it a week at a time. It is a relief to know I have her support and can forget about work for a little longer. My biggest worry is that when I do go back, my teaching day will be spent outside. Lots of uneven terrain and no place to sit down, plus I need to travel with each of my classes just to get to our space. I am tired just thinking about it!

My co-workers have been taking turns bringing my family meals. We have been eating like royalty. I am starting to feel guilty because I am now fairly capable in the kitchen. How do I politely tell the rest of the groups signed up to bring meals that we no longer need them? Or don't I?

Take care all.
 
WOW what a good support network you have! Depends if you want to start cooking or live it up for another week :heehee: You could buy them something such as chocolates with a thank you note and telling them you are now back on your feet and need to get back into the kitchen :sad:
 
Sounds like you are doing great, Ready. Good idea not to go back to work yet though.
 
Ready Sounds like your recovery is doing great. Out driving and shopping at four weeks--way to go!!! You are a great inspiration to the ones of us still on the other side. Please keep us posted as you continue to progress! :dancy:
 
It's a toughie that one. People like to be helpful, it makes them feel better. On the flip side, if you are itching to get back into the kitchen & do it yourself, the chocolates & thank you note is a great idea from Kathy :ok: . Its a nice dilemma to have, that you are feeling good enough to not need the additional support. :happydance: :egypdance: :yay: Nights are a problem! Have been awake from 3am till....... 3am seems to be magic hour for me. :mcoffee: It is great that we support each other, we have something that close friends & family don't, that's empathy. We've all been through (or are about to) the same think and only we can understand the extent of the changes& sheer rollercoaster experience of it all! Here's hoping you have a better night & sweet ubdisturbed dreams tonight. :puppysmooze:
 
I'm so glad to hear that you have some more time away from the school! It sounds like you'll need to be strong before you go back to your outdoor classroom! I'm wondering if there's any way the teachers could transport their classes to you for a week or two? Then you could just stay at the outside spot and the kids could come to you. That's what we do in our school. Our outdoor PE is quite a jaunt from the school building, too, and the classroom teachers take their kids and pick them up at the spot. Our PE teacher doesn't leave the PE area. ( She must have it pretty good, huh?)

Yes, this site is great for the support and encouragement from those that really know how we are feeling. For some reason, I'm not getting too many replies to my original thread anymore, though, and I'm really going to need that support next week as I undergo my #2. I wonder if I should start a new one?

My friends at school also brought me food.....lots of it every other night! Since there's just the two of us, we had so many leftovers and I hate to throw away food! My husband is a great cook and actually WANTED to cook dinner for me, so it was a dilemma for us, too. I was able to kindly stop it after a couple of weeks by postponing those signed up for my future #2 knee's surgery. So, we will also have the problem again soon! THey were signed up for 2 MONTHs the last time!! Isn't it great to have such good friends?? I will be watching to see how you tackle this "problem" as I'm sure I'm going to need ideas, too! The chocolate does sound like a good idea......or maybe actually bake some muffins for them to show you are really back in the kitchen!!

Again, it's so good to hear how well you're doing. It's really great encouragement for me.......and I need it right now!!!!
 
After a few days of sunshine, we are back in the clouds with snow showers. I guess that's spring in Minnesota! Just got back from a little outing with hubby. He needed to pick up his suit for a wedding and we had a nice soup and salad lunch at Olive Garden. Once again, a treat to be out amongst the living. Once again, glad to get home! Boy, a few hours and I am wiped out.

My new favorite thing to do is grab my book and read while I gently peddle on the bike. 30 minutes slips by and I hardly notice. What I do notice is a pretty tight spot on the lateral side behind the knee. PT thinks it is a tendon, but I will ask doc when I see him on Tuesday. It's got me a little worried. I have had this since right after surgery, but as I become more active, so does it.

Going to PT now is like going to the gym. Lots of squats, lunges, side steps. He had me speed walking, which aggravated the other knee more, but a sign of things to come. These activities don't bother me as much as the stretching. I just try to smile through it and get it over with. He put me on a balance board yesterday. I had fun pretending I was a surfer--I got wet but really enjoyed the challenge.

Long day tomorrow--90 minute drive to and from my niece's wedding, then reception dinner and dance. I know we won't stay long into the dance, and I definitely won't be kicking up my heels, but we are still talking a minimum of 8 hours. Riding in a car is still something that is uncomfortable for me. I will pack a cooler with ice packs, make sure my pain meds are handy, and hope others understand when I need an extra chair to get my leg up for a while.

Have a great weekend everyone.
 
Sounds like you have a busy day ahead of you Ready! It will feel so good to be out and about but make sure you try and get your knee up when you can. Maybe take a plastic bag as well they should have some ice at the wedding. Have fun :egypdance:
 
Hi Ready,
Have a super weekend and enjoy the wedding. You sound very organised with your ice packs for the car. Maybe they could stick them in the freezer at the venue for you so they are cold for the return trip?

I gently peddle on the bike. 30 minutes slips by and I hardly notice. What I do notice is a pretty tight spot on the lateral side behind the knee.
but as I become more active, so does it.

Going to PT now is like going to the gym. Lots of squats, lunges, side steps. He had me speed walking, which aggravated the other knee more, but a sign of things to come. These activities don't bother me as much as the stretching. I just try to smile through it and get it over

I am amazed at the amount of PT you are doing. I am using my exercise bike and doing the stretches advised by the physio and some walking but nothing like you are doing in the gym.
I am hoping to go to the pool soon but there is still a tiny bit at the top of my scar that is not totally closed. Hopefully will be closed very soon and I can get in the pool and in the bath.
Have a great weekend, look forward to hearing about the wedding,
Toothfairy x :happydance: :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom