Guest viewing is limited

THR Ray's Right THR Recovery

48 hours out and doing OK. The local block wore off yesterday evening and the pain has been very manageable so far. In fact the only real discomfort is in the anterior area under the incision when the hip extends walking. And that is really more like a tightness than pain. And this just on Tylenol and Celebrex this morning since I took my last narco around midnight. That Tramadol had been making feel poorly, with some indigestion and hiccupping. I looked it up and those are indeed potential side effects. So, I am done with narco except as needed. Swelling not too bad, either, but icing and elevating as usual.

Of course, I walked better yesterday when the surgical area was numb and not getting that pain signal. I'll just need to be a little more careful and use the walking aids for awhile. Like the PT said, you don't want to learn a limp into your muscle memory.

BTW, my helper is tied up this weekend and I won't have assistance for putting on those horrible compression socks. It was difficult for the two of us to do it and I know won't be able to do it solo... unless someone here has some magic way to make that work? Pretty sad that the one and only thing I can't do for myself is these stupid socks. LOL. I am scheduled for home PT again tomorrow so I guess I can ask them to help put on a clean pair. I'll be able to get the old ones off OK by myself and then shower.
 
Last edited:
I won't have assistance for putting on those horrible compression socks. It was difficult for the two of us to do it and I know won't be able to do it solo... unless someone here has some magic way to make that work?
Unless you have a magic wand, I don't think it's possible. So, if you come up with a way to get those on by yourself, patent it! You'll make a fortune! :heehee:
 
I wore thigh high compression stockings for three weeks ending yesterday. My wife helped me put them on and off. I could not stop them bunching around my knees when walking. I was quite active after the first few days and hence constantly trying to pull them up. I believe they were of questionable value when I became active but I did my best to comply. We purchased a donning butler that made it much easier to get the stockings started over the calf. Check Amazon, there are many available.
 
I googled it and found some devices, that are like PVC half pipes with cords attached. Stretch the sock over the halfpipe then pull it on up over the foot, then keep pulling until the half pipe comes out. I also found a fancier device... hard to describe it... but that's what I ordered from Amazon.

I won't have assistance for putting on those horrible compression socks. It was difficult for the two of us to do it and I know won't be able to do it solo... unless someone here has some magic way to make that work?
Unless you have a magic wand, I don't think it's possible. So, if you come up with a way to get those on by yourself, patent it! You'll make a fortune! :heehee:
 
The pvc half pipe doesn't work well for compression stockings. The one I purchased looks like this and works well. Many YouTube videos explaining use.

1712942254980.png
 
Last edited:
That looks about like what I ordered except it has folding handles. I hope the hinges are strong enough.

The pvc half pipe don't work well for compression stockings. The one I purchased looks like this and works well. Many YouTube videos explaining use.

1712942254980.png
 
Turns out the one I ordered is too small (narrow) for my size 12 feet. I got suspicious when the photo showed a tiny Asian woman putting one on. That detail was buried in the fine print. So back it will go.

But I WAS able to get the pair of comp socks my OS recommended to me on by myself. They each have a half zipper to make it a little easier. Then the trick I learnt at the surgery center was to put a plastic bag over your toes.... a Ziploc sandwich bag for instance. Then DO NOT roll up the sock, but pull it over the bag and your toes, then grab the top part behind the heel and pull it on, with the plastic bag making it slide easily. Then remove the plastic bag through the open toe. Works like a champ. It was still hard on the operated leg because the hip protests a bit when that hip angle gets smaller. But with anterior approach hip you can do it. Not sure about the lateral and posterior.

I suppose we can't post links so google this at Amazon. I am 6' ~200 pounds and got the large size. Seems about right.

Medical Zippered Compression Socks - Open Toe 20-30 mmHg Varicose Veins Compression Stockings with Zip Guard for Skin Protection,...​


That looks about like what I ordered except it has folding handles. I hope the hinges are strong enough.

The pvc half pipe don't work well for compression stockings. The one I purchased looks like this and works well. Many YouTube videos explaining use.

[Bonesmart.org] Ray's Right THR Recovery
 
Last edited:
Looks like your stockings are only knee high. They are easier to put on than the unzippered thigh high stockings. In my case the handles on the donning tool made it possible for me to reach down and pull up with my severely arthritic shoulder.
 
I never had to wear them but I did see a video where they used a plastic bag to help them slide on. Might do the youtube search for ideas.
 
I won't bury the lede: Meralgia paresthetica. Anyone else with anterior THR have this and does it generally resolve over time?

So, I went to bed last night without the dreadful squeeze cuff and headphones expecting a good night's sleep. But, no. I have had numbness on the lateral side of the replaced right hip, which isn't great but not the worst thing in the world. And I had a few instances where that feeling was accompanied by a burning sensation... but now that burning sensation is happening a lot more often... when walking, when rolling over onto the surgical hip, etc.

Sheesh, yet another thing about these arthroplasty surgeries that causes sleep disturbances. Last night I was like, hmmm, my right thigh is on fire but the smoke detector isn't alarming?? ;-).

Anyone else here experienced this, and did it resolve? I will speak to the home PT tomorrow and then call the OS office Tuesday if I need to.

My recovery had been going pretty well, I thought, until this. I only took the narco pain meds for a day and a half but now I may have to use them again, at least at night. Ugh. Maybe the anterior approach really isn't the best way to go. IDK.

Edit: now as I am up having coffee and moving around the burning has subsided a bit... but not the numbness, of course. I have read that the feeling in that part of the skin may never fully return.
 
Last edited:
48 hours out and doing OK. The local block wore off yesterday evening and the pain has been very manageable so far. In fact the only real discomfort is in the anterior area under the incision when the hip extends walking. And that is really more like a tightness than pain. And this just on Tylenol and Celebrex this morning since I took my last narco around midnight. That Tramadol had been making feel poorly, with some indigestion and hiccupping. I looked it up and those are indeed potential side effects. So, I am done with narco except as needed. Swelling not too bad, either, but icing and elevating as usual.

Of course, I walked better yesterday when the surgical area was numb and not getting that pain signal. I'll just need to be a little more careful and use the walking aids for awhile. Like the PT said, you don't want to learn a limp into your muscle memory.

BTW, my helper is tied up this weekend and I won't have assistance for putting on those horrible compression socks. It was difficult for the two of us to do it and I know won't be able to do it solo... unless someone here has some magic way to make that work? Pretty sad that the one and only thing I can't do for myself is these stupid socks. LOL. I am scheduled for home PT again tomorrow so I guess I can ask them to help put on a clean pair. I'll be able to get the old ones off OK by myself and then shower.
Well, I'm going in. For once in my life I drew the morning surgical appt so I should be done and back here in my recliner before lunch. And, like most mornings, I get up feeling a little better and start second guessing my decision to have THR. Then after making coffee and moving around the house a little the pain comes back strong and I remember why. LOL. Chugging black coffee now before my cut off time... See you on the other side later today or tomorrow.
Hi good luck I don't even know if I'm replying in the right place can you answer a question please whst is THR thanks.
 
I have now had two anterior hip replacements separated by 11 years. Neither was "painfree" and take a long time to fully heal. You are up and about quickly but the muscles and tendons they stretch take months to heal. My first surgery took about one year before the sensations around the hip fully disappeared. I still have very minor skin numbness around the first incision. My neighbor, about my age, had the posterior approach and her recovery was longer and more uncomfortable than mine but did resolve in the end. I am now about 23 days post op and recovering well. I walk without a limp but must concentrate to maintain a good steady gait and not push too hard. The hip complains when pushed too hard, there is still some minor swelling near the incision and sensitive to pressure. You are still very much in very early days and will improve.

I have never rolled over on my operated side during the recovery phase. I sleep on my back and am careful not to put pressure on the operated area. I am sure i would have pain if I did so. My previous glaucoma and prostate surgeries forced me to adapt to back sleeping. An oxycodone pill [or half pill] at bedtime may help.
 
Last edited:
I am not too concerned with the numbness but am with the burning sensation. It seems to come and go as I move about and is pretty bad. I don't really seem have much swelling, which is amazing, but I suppose there is some that might be driving this. Yeah, I quit rolling onto the operated side because of this last night but I could never get fully comfortable on my back or other side either. But like you say, I am only on day 4, very early. In any case this has gone a lot easier than the knee last September. Will bite the bullet and take a Tramadol or half an oxy tonight.

I have now had two anterior hip replacements separated by 11 years. Neither was "painfree" and take a long time to fully heal. You are up and about quickly but the muscles and tendons they stretch take months to heal. My first surgery took about one year before the sensations around the hip fully disappeared. I still have very minor skin numbness around the first incision. My neighbor, about my age, had the posterior approach and her recovery was longer and more uncomfortable than mine but did resolve in the end. I am now about 23 days post op and recovering well. I walk without a limp but must concentrate to maintain a good steady gait and not push too hard. The hip complains when pushed too hard, there is still some minor swelling near the incision and sensitive to pressure. You are still very much in very early days and will improve.

I have never rolled over on my operated side during the recovery phase. I sleep on my back and am careful not to put pressure on the operated area. I am sure i would have pain if I did so. My previous glaucoma and prostate surgeries forced me to adapt to back sleeping. An oxycodone pill [or half pill] at bedtime may help.
 
TKR= total hip replacement, also known as TKA or total hip arthroplasty.

Hi good luck I don't even know if I'm replying in the right place can you answer a question please whst is THR thanks.
 
My personal experience with Tramadol and Oxycodone is that Tramadol keeps me awake but light headed whereas Oxycodone tends to put me to sleep. Constipation is the big issue with Oxy. Of course we are all different in response to meds. The nurse at my surgery center suggested that I take Tramadol during the day and Oxy at night. I did that for days 2 and 3 then stopped both as my pain subsided and I relied on Tylenol and Celebrex.
 
I was pretty constipated on Tramadol and the literature says it has a higher risk of that, but who knows. I have just been taking Celebrex and Tylenol since 36 hours post op and that has been plenty... except for this burning thigh thing at night. It has come and gone today but has been quiet now for a couple of hours.

My personal experience with Tramadol and Oxycodone is that Tramadol keeps me awake but light headed whereas Oxycodone tends to put me to sleep. Constipation is the big issue with Oxy. Of course we are all different in response to meds. The nurse at my surgery center suggested that I take Tramadol during the day and Oxy at night. I did that for days 2 and 3 then stopped both as my pain subsided and I relied on Tylenol and Celebrex.
 
TKR= total hip replacement, also known as TKA or total hip arthroplasty.

Hi good luck I don't even know if I'm replying in the right place can you answer a question please whst is THR thanks.
Um let's keep K and H sorted!
TKA and TKR are total knee replacements
THA and THR are total hip replacements
@Crazyjan62
 
I took a pain pill last night and was able to sleep a little better. Still had the lateral burning sensation come and go, especially early. But sleep is sleep. Burning again some today, too, especially walking right after getting up. Hopefully this will resolve over time.

Later I also got out for my first drive, about 10 miles. No problems getting in or driving, although that was far enough. I could brake with my right operated leg if I needed to but mostly used the left. I also made a grocery store run, using a small cart as a walker. I am not ready for the Boston Marathon but I got this done easily enough... but that was plenty for the day. Now to watch the finish of the Boston marathon.
 
I won't bury the lede: Meralgia paresthetica. Anyone else with anterior THR have this and does it generally resolve over time?

So, I went to bed last night without the dreadful squeeze cuff and headphones expecting a good night's sleep. But, no. I have had numbness on the lateral side of the replaced right hip, which isn't great but not the worst thing in the world. And I had a few instances where that feeling was accompanied by a burning sensation... but now that burning sensation is happening a lot more often... when walking, when rolling over onto the surgical hip, etc.

Sheesh, yet another thing about these arthroplasty surgeries that causes sleep disturbances. Last night I was like, hmmm, my right thigh is on fire but the smoke detector isn't alarming?? ;-).

Anyone else here experienced this, and did it resolve? I will speak to the home PT tomorrow and then call the OS office Tuesday if I need to.
Hi Raylo,
Had my LATHR on 03/22 ,
Started out the first 2 or 3 days with numbness almost down to my knee , mostly on the anterior ,but also rolling over to the lateral higher up on my thigh.
Has been slowly going away and is now confined to area about as big as my hand on the upper thigh just below the incision.
Yes I did go thru the burning stinging for about 3 or 4 days ,when ever I turned a certain way, or stuck my hand in my pocket.
I learned real quick not to put my keys or anything else I would be reaching for in that pocket until the sensation went away, which it did.
I can still feel a very slight reminder of it if I turn my body to much .
Blessed Healings & Kind Regards , Dorsey
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom