3 week update: on the road to normal
First, my racoon proofing works! Both feeders have remained unmolested since I installed the rolling baffles. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Darn racoons have eaten a lot of my bird seed and nectar over the years.
I had a very busy day yesterday... I bought some mulch at Lowes and spread it, went to the grocery store for supplies, did my walk in the park only using the cane intermittently to give the recovering hip some short rests, then back home I pedaled my indoor bike for 5 minutes (with no resistance). None of this was easy, except maybe the bike, but doable, and it didn't make the hip feel worse, which is my criteria for deciding how much to take on. Then to the recliner for an icing session and a much needed nap!
The hip flexor pain and discomfort that makes me look for the cane is diminishing. Otherwise I don't seem to have any swelling and the pain seems to be limited to the upper thigh area below the incision. Sore to the touch, like a deep bruise, and numb/burning feeling on the skin. I hope and expect that to resolve over time but it doesn't seem to slow me down.
I am not doing any PT since graduating from the home PT. Seems unnecessary, at least in my case. And at least one of the exercises he gave me, standing on one leg, seemed to be counterproductive. That seemed to irritate the hip flexors. The strength was there so I am not worried about that for now. When the flexors are back to normal that will be an easy thing to do.
I see the doc next Monday for my first post-op check. Can't wait to see the x-ray.