Guest viewing is limited

THR Ray's Right THR Recovery

I won't bury the lede: Meralgia paresthetica. Anyone else with anterior THR have this and does it generally resolve over time?

No diagnosis but I still have some of these symptoms nearly a year later. There's one half-palm sized area that has a persistent sensation of tingling and some pain when pressed - and even a couple varicose veins.
 
12 week update... recovery seems to be on track. I have done about 180 miles on my bikes over the last 2 weeks, half on my pedal gravel bike and half on my home-made e-bike. The e-bike allows me to pedal with as much or little effort as I want so is probably a better recovery tool. It takes the stress off the joints, especially up hills, but I can dial the assist to where I still get a good workout. Otherwise I am basically back to my normal routine, working on a drywall repair and space heater replacement project... and some farm stuff. The THR hip still gets stiff after exercise and then sitting, like in a car. And it doesn't have full ROM, like crossing the leg or knee to chest... but it never had as free motion as the other hip even before it got arthritic. I will work on that but that extra motion doesn't make much difference functionally. I can walk, I can ride, I can get up and down from the floor, etc. Hope everyone else's recoveries are going well.
 
it doesn't have full ROM, like crossing the leg or knee to chest... but it never had as free motion as the other hip even before it got arthritic. I will work on that but that extra motion doesn't make much difference functionally. I can walk, I can ride, I can get up and down from the floor, etc.
My surgeons PA reminded me very early on that while our prosthetic hip will never match our natural hip, it can get pretty close. Realizing and accepting we can't do everything, but we can do what we need to do takes off the pressure. Well, I guess I should speak for myself.

I was whining about the inability to do something once and my mom reminded me that I can do things she can no longer do, just as my daughter can do things I can no longer do and so on. I am thankful for the second chance of joint replacement, which in the not so distant past was not a reality, but in many cases a sentence to a wheel chair for the remainder of life.

You're doing great raylo! I am happy for you. Stay safe and have a good 4th!
 
When reading people's stories. There is such a wide range of results that peolple are happy with. Some are running marathons and biking miles. Others can not do those things but are happy to be walking pain free. I guess people have different expectations. I wonder if it has to do with our age or what our capabilites where before THR. My thoughts have always been what could I do before THR and what can I do know. I haven't been so lucky but always happy when I hear a success story. Awesome that u are getting your spark back. Cheers
 
Last edited:
One interesting part of this is that many serious cyclists can keep riding pretty well even as their hips (and knees) fail since cycling is non-weight bearing. Many of us have done so many miles that we are one with our bicycles. For me, I was riding my bike right up until my surgeries... I just couldn't walk without a cane when I got off the bike. LOL.

When reading people's stories. There is such a wide range of results that peolple are happy with. Some are running marathons and biking miles. Others can not do those things but are happy to be walking pain free. I guess people have different expectations. I wonder if it has to do with our age or what our capabilites where before THR. My thoughts have always been what could I do before THR and what can I do know. I haven't been so lucky but always happy when I hear a success story. Awesome that u are getting your spark back. Cheers
 
Another milestone for me at week 13 post op... I needed to change the oil on my car which needs to be raised on my QuickJack hydraulic lifts which comprise two 5 1/2' long steel units, one for each side, that weigh 96 pounds each. I have them stored leaning against the garage wall so I needed to lean them over, roll them to the center, then lower them to the ground. I was wondering how this would go but the new hip handled it just fine. Also no problem picking them up when I was done. All this after doing a morning bike ride. :-). And I was getting down and up from the floor easily. I am really happy with the hip recovery, and my TKR knee from last Sept also continues to improve.
 
The "little" things that add up to recovery!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
It’s good to read how well your recovery is moving along. Great news on your knee also. Stay safe and enjoy the Summer, raylo!
@raylo
 
Thanks, Layla, I was well on my way to enjoying my summer but then my 29 year old air conditioning system died, of course during this nasty heat wave. I have new equipment coming next week so will need to install that before I get back to my regularly scheduled program. It's always something!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
It’s good to read how well your recovery is moving along. Great news on your knee also. Stay safe and enjoy the Summer, raylo!
@raylo
 
Nothing much new to report, recovery still seems normal and I am fully back to all my projects and even carrying some heavier stuff around. I finished the A/C replacement after getting a buddy to help move the new unit around back with a hand truck and lift it up onto the deck. At 150 awkward pounds I was not going to try to take that on solo. I still have some minimal anterior discomfort but nothing too bad. And I am still stiff after sitting in a car for awhile, but all pretty good once I get moving. Today is pressure washing. After TKR and THR I am about a year behind on all this stuff. LOL.

But a question: does anyone here use an inversion table after TKR and THR? I have one that I am reluctant to use now, not that I ever really used it that much for my bad back. I will ask the doc at my follow up in a couple of weeks but more than likely I will get rid of it.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom