TKR Randi's In Recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here's my latest sorry tale. Had (unreplaced) knee and hip x-rays yesterday. Haven't got the official feedback but several eyes have had a look. Hip shows some arthritis but doesn't seem too bad .Knee has 'floaters'...not sure what but not likely causing leg pain. So no answers there. :sad:

Off to the back super assessment specialist this morning with all my x-rays , reports ,etc --and very nervous he was going to say I was wasting his time (my personal neurosis). Started off just like that ! He said " hello, what's wrong." I said "well.."and he said "just get to it, I'm way behind because 2 people wasted my time this morning" :sos: . Before I could run away :scary: he had my back x-ray up on his screen and said "oh, now this is interesting" and "forgive me, bad morning. Please tell me when all this started and what's going on."

Long story short (I'm trying anyway...) ...he said I have a lot of arthritic changes, etc in my spine but the "real deal" is that I have degenerative spondylolisthesis at L3- L4. (You can look that up if you're interested). Interesting because my spinal fusion was due to congenital spondylolisthesis at L5-S1. Apparently these are two different conditions although both act the same way though the first is more severe (???) Orthodoc;

The interesting part is that he doesn't think this new glitch is related to either my previous spinal problems or my knee replacement and that the hip and knee findings are just 'red herrings'. He said I fit the pattern exactly both because of my symptoms and because I am fifty-ish (well a little past..) female, and a 3rd F...:shrug:.

Next steps ... stop all the physio for my knee that includes extension of any kind :tantrum:, start 8 weeks of intense back physio, have a CT and come back in 8 weeks to assess progress ....

So, sort of an answer. I'll be busy with physio at two different places (since the knee PT is hospital-based and can only do post-op stuff ) and more waiting to see if this conservative approach works well enough to avoid surgery for both issues.

Good thing I'm feeling positive :rotfl: about all this...and now off to bang my head against the wall !!!
 
Wow do you ever have a LOT on your plate Randi! I thought I had a lot going on but physically I'm only dealing with my knee. (We won't mention my neck and shoulders, they're minor in comparison.) I hope the back physio does the trick and you're feeling way better soon! Hang in there! :console2:
 
Randi,
I am so sorry to her you have all this on your plate. I can empathise with you on the back issues, I have them for years now. Mine start at me neck, then hit the middle of my back, then go to lower back. Hope the therapy will be enough for you to feel better.
 
Randi, I'm sorry to hear about this. I was hopping for a short problem not a long one. Are you able to do just simple things like hugging your dog? I sure hope so. mmm Thats a good idea. Have you hug your dog today?:heehee: Please keep us posted, we care. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Wow do you ever have a LOT on your plate Randi! I thought I had a lot going on but physically I'm only dealing with my knee. (We won't mention my neck and shoulders, they're minor in comparison.) I hope the back physio does the trick and you're feeling way better soon! Hang in there! :console2:

Thanks Lori. I think each of us has our own plateful...but we all have to find ways to move forward. I'll hang in right alongside you !
 
Thanks Lori, Rose and Tashia. Your support means a lot. I'm not giving in to all this -I'm a fighter. I just need some clarity so I understand what I'm fighting about.

Meanwhile, despite all this , life goes on. I'm still going out every day - though mostly to physio, it seems,:spin: - walking the dog for short walks at least, checking in on my Mom as needed, working part-time (from home, by choice, which helps), seeing friends and family, helping my hubby through a bit of a rough patch,etc.- I move more slowly than I like and apparently I'm 'hobbling' a bit as one of my friends reported to another yesterday. It's raining here today - hooray - we need it - and my bones are feeling it, but I shall officially start my day soon and do the best I can -which is all any of us can do.
 
:gaah: I just lost everything I wrote, I hate when I do that! I was hoping to back up and find my post still here but that would be way too easy.

What a way to start an office visit! I'm nervous enough without a doctor having an attitude! I'm glad he came around quick and even appologized. I wish he had better news for you though. Hopefully the PT will work. I'm afraid to hear what a doctor would say about my back exray. Last one kept asking how bad my pain was, didn't seem to believe I wasn't having any (knock on wood!). I do have sicatica issues but that's nothing new and not bad enough to go to another doctor.

Give that puppy a hug, that has to make you feel better. Now that I'm able to walk again I've been thinking about volunteering at an animal shelter. I miss not having a dog.
 
Not a good day..even feel guilty about something I said on another thread. Think I'll take a break from the forum till I get my act together. Thanks for all the support all.
 
We all have bad days. Hope tomorrow is better. If you need support you know where to get it.
Take care & hope to see you back soon.
 
Randi, we're here for you whenever you need us. You are allowed to vent however and wherever you feel like it. Please take care.
 
Randi, you don't need to feel bad. Your views were perfectly acceptable. I think Janet was right that what was said was probably wasted on Duke. But I was more interested in what someone else reading his thread might think or try to do themselves that would hurt and not help them. Of course, we all have the right to do whatever we decide to even if other people think we're dumb or crazy or whatever. Please don't cut yourself off from folks who care about you and are concerned for you especially while you're in a kinda dark place right now. Remember that we really do care.
 
Randi please don't drop out on us now. I really wasn't very nice in my post over there either, but it just seemed ridiculous to me that someone would cause themselves so much extra pain. So I also apologize for anything I said that might upset anyone reading these posts.
 
Randi said:
Not a good day..even feel guilty about something I said on another thread. Think I'll take a break from the forum till I get my act together. Thanks for all the support all.

Hey Randi, we're good! You didn't offend me, I just stepped back and thought my tone was unhelpful and pointless, so deleted it and decided to opt out of the responses to Duke at this point. It made me a little sick to read his posts and imagine others not in the know thinking he was correct about this. I think he got a mixed message along the line and is confusing 90 with 120, frankly.
 
I just took a peek back to see what was going on, and now I remember reading it before. I'm sorry to hear about your back, especially. You must have inherited similar genes to what I did (dear dad). Arthritis and wedged disks in the spine, arthritis in the hip, both knees, etc. I am thankful everytime I think of it that the back has calmed down other than an occasional pinched nerve that makes me think I'm having a heart attack, and my hip has stopped hurting and I baby it to keep it that way. But it's all there lurking! And the knee? It's hard to not get time weary getting through this. I hope you find some answers and that things start improving for you.
 
Hey Randi, Do what is best for yourself and your soul. These Internet exchanges can seem overly intense...sometimes taking a little break to get perspective can be just what's needed. And you are going through a completely new situation now with your back. Just take care of yourself and I hope to see you around here when you're ready! :friends:
 
So here I am almost a week later. I have been trying to convince myself things are better but honestly I just don't know. I just get tired of letting myself get so down about this so I'm telling everybody I'm fine. Those who know me well know I'm lying but it quiets them anyway.And despite everything I'm going about my business though I'm feeling very insecure about walking any distance .

My back seems to have settled down a bit but that's in part because I have stopped going for anything but short walks which seem to be the onset of both back pain and knee catches. Seeing the back physio in 2 weeks -she's the best and worth waiting for after her vacation. And by then I should have results of the CT scan though not likely that will show anything.

Meanwhile the knee physio is as confused as I am. We are working on strengthening quads- which were just fine 2 months ago - but the pain when I bend my knee stops me and she does't want me to go beyond that first twinge -in good Bone Smartie style. We've also discovered that my balance is way off so I'm trying to do some balancing exercises. Frustrating because this too was not an issue even 6 weeks post-op. I'm pretty much walking and stretching in the water only. The stationary bike is fine once I get my leg on it, which is painful, so I'm doing 15 minutes on the bike and 30 in the pool on days without physio and only balance and minimal quad stuff daily. Sometimes I feel okay, other times even a short walk -to and from the car , for example, will bring on this catching in my knee. Doesn't seem to be my knee cap, apparently, my IT bands seem okay ..so not sure .

Yesterday at physio I said maybe this is the way its going to be and I have to learn to live with it. The physio wants me to hang in for a few more weeks but I'm not convinced she thinks there's going to be much change either. Wondering when is it time to give up ...

Sorry I've gone on so long .
 
Wondering when is it time to give up ...

Sorry I've gone on so long .
Oh honey I'm so sorry!:sad: Being in physical pain is so draining and to see what seems to be a reversal in progress has got to be depressing. I so wish I could give you a REAL hug right now. There aren't any magic words to make you feel better but I want you to know I'm thinking about you and praying for the very best outcome for you! We all deserve to be able to live without pain! :console2:
 
Sorry you're going through this, Randi. Hopefully when your back physio is back from vacation you will be able to proceed from there. hang in there. :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom