PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

Just did a straight leg raise! Only an inch off the bed and only for two seconds but a little bit of progress!! Woo hoo!
 
Do you have a small backpack? Maybe a larger tote bag with long handles you could toss over your shoulder?


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Small back pack is a good idea. I was once on crutches for 12 weeks following microfracture. I used them to push washing downstairs, load the washer, push things around but would also use the handles to carry small bags of stuff around the house.

BTW, brilliant news on the leg raise! You are getting there.
 
Yay! On the leg raise! Took me a while for that!

I have a small tote I was carrying "all my worldly possessions" (or so hubby said) around in. Still carrying it as it includes my Kindle, phone, and tablet!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I don't have a trick. I'd carry a tote sometimes, if I needed to carry a few items around. But if I needed an arm free, I would put both crutches under the other arm- more stable than reaching for something with a crutch under that arm.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Raffs, I've been away on vacation and not checking in much this last week. Glad to read your surgery is done and you're home!! Hang in there….it will get better! I iced as much as I could with my Polar ice machine, day and night. I elevated as much as I could, but have had lower back issues for several years and found elevating too much put my lower back into spasms. The muscle relaxer I was given didn't do much of anything, so I probably didn't elevate as much as others. In the end, I recovered nicely, though. I guess what I'm trying to say is, whatever works for you when it comes to icing, elevating, etc.
 
Hook a small plastic bag on one crutch handle or on your wrist and then you can pop a magazine or little bits and bobs in it to transport from room to room etc. Or use a little shoulder bag across your body. I used a crutch to flick a light switch and could put weight onto my better leg plus one crutch to free a hand for blinds etc. Just take care not to tangle up. It gets easier.
 
I have BIG pockets on my pants, and they are cut loose enough to be able to stuff a lot in there. Last night when I was downstairs, I came up with my phone, two bottles of supplements, and an apple in my pockets. When I'm out and about I wear my purse like a kangaroo pouch. Because I don't look odd enough on my own lurching around on the walker. :loll:
 
Yay! Straight leg raises were the hardest for me! I still do them just reassure myself!
 
Straight leg raise = straight into the ODIC!!!! Had increased pain and swelling last night after pushing myself so won't be doing that again!!

@PolarBear60 @SuperSnapper yes I do have a small backpack - great idea thanks. Am already using crutches to hook things, prod things (hubby if ignoring me...) and reach things!

@tigz @JennyLynne I don't have a tote but now I realise I might need one so thanks for giving me permission to do a little bag shopping!

@Lovestoread thanks for checking in - I've got pretty bad neck pain from sleeping and sitting at odd angles so you have my sympathy re your back pain.

@Hopper small plastic bag on one of the handles is also a good idea, thanks.

@snowleopard that's too funny - but I'm finding that I absolutely have lost any sense of vanity right now - if it is comfortable and works then that's fine by me.

@KarriB I keep doing leg raises with my good leg in the hope that it will remind my bag leg how to do them! Hasn't really work so far....
 
The knee is a week old!! This time last week I was lying down on the bed in the anaesthetic room after the spinal had been put in.......well, what a week it has been!

Things that I now know to be true:

(1) Surgery and staying in hospital is tough. Your vulnerability and the reliance on others for everything is humbling.
(2) May as well leave your dignity at the door when you go into hospital because you sure will lose it during your stay! But at the time you just don't care as long as you are being cared for.
(3) No matter how prepared you are, actually experiencing the first few days after surgery is something you can't really fully prepare for.
(4) Coming home and starting to settle into a routine in familiar surroundings is wonderful.
(5) Comfort is everything after this type of surgery. Wear what feels comfy, don't worry about how you look. Make-up - what's that then!!??
(6) Do not be competitive, especially with yourself. You will end up in pain and/or taking a step backwards.
(7) Constipation is hell!!
(8) TED stockings are not a good look.
(9) The person who invents effective pain meds that work without side effects will be a multi millionaire.
(10) There really is nothing quite like the kindness of strangers to reassure you that there are some wonderful people in the world who are there when you need them most - thank you, Bonesmart friends, you're the best.
 
Raffs, that's a great idea about doing leg lifts with the non-surgical legs! It will offer encouragement, example, inspiration, and if all these fail, will surely shame the surgical leg into cooperation.

Actually, I've lost days in the recovery process recuperating from leg-lifts. Yesterday was my push-back day: I let the PT know that no-more-no-way am I pushing to the point where I have to spend a couple of days icing and elevating to recuperate. Feels great to finally have hit the steady-progress groove.

On a linguistic Ping-Pong note, I was moving my pillows around the other night, and asked myself, now where is my Snowleopard pillow?
 
@Raffs i have one word about constipation, Miralax. Didn't matter what I ate or what else I took. My wonderful male nurse suggested Miralax and it was the only thing that worked.
Straight leg raises-While in rehab my PT would life my leg so the bottom of my foot was facing the ceiling! Just to help my leg remember what it could do. Once I came home, I used my leg lifter to help me lift my leg into straight leg raises, everyday I used less and less arm power until 12 days after surgery I finally was able to do a few unassisted.
Sounds like you have a good handle on things. It will only get better, just slowly get better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some miralax from Amazon, came from the USA. Quite expensive but large bottle.
 
Hi @Raffs, had a very busy few days so just caught up with your posts.

You sound like you are doing brilliantly and I still remember the nights or as I used to call them my 24 hr days and sleeping and napping whenever.
Don't be a matter to the pain though, take what you need when you need (keep a note) and before you know it you'll realise you forgot to take a dose because the pain wasn't all that bad.
I remember also icing through the night as it helped hugely with pain control.
I am currently elevating and icing my knee as I have been on my feet pretty much for the past 2 days, we have just fitted a new kitchen floor (just waited 4 years) and there was a lot of work to do and I helped my partner as much as I could.
All the best for a good nights sleep tonight - well that would be split into a few hours at a time :yawn:
 
If you use something to raise that leg into a straight leg raise, you're also stretching your hamstrings, which need that, too, so even if you don't think your quads are benefitting, the hammies will thank you.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@PolarBear60 believe it or not, I can do a leg raise without a problem when I'm not having the spasms. I also have full extension so during the afternoon, I try and stretch the hamstring gently so as not to create another spasm. Haven't figured out what causes the spasms to start. Hopefully the doctor will have some answers on Thursday.
 
Oh, I missed that. That would be puzzling. If/when you do figure it out, post, so we'll all know.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Anybody else had a horribly stiff neck after the surgery? It's being caused by sleeping in half upright positions and moving awkwardly around the bed when lifting the cryo etc and also from straining it when doing my PT exercises. Ouch, it really hurts!

Constipation issues eased yesterday - been taking lactulose solution which may be similar to Miralax? I have some laxatives on standby if the problem persists or gets worse.

A totally surprising but completely welcome development is that I'm actually sleeping ok. I do wake in the night, go to the bathroom, walk around a bit to stretch, throw the cryo cuff on if knee feels hot or stiff but then, so far, I have been able to go back to sleep. Am enjoying this whilst it lasts as am well aware that this could change anytime.

Doing my PT exercises three times a day. Seeing the PT on Friday so I'll know better after then how I'm doing.

Plenty of icing, elevating and resting.

Meds still making me feel a bit yucky but had good chat with the doctor yesterday who explained why and we've tweaked things a bit.

Waking ok on two crutches, gait isn't great and I'm not bending the knee well but I know that will improve over time.

@snowleopard did you ever think that'd you'd be famous thousands of miles away because of an unvention? Do you have the TV show Dragon's Den over there? Google it if not, you'd make a fortune!

@KarriB I'll try the leg raises with my leg lifter (the belt from my robe!) thanks for the tip.

@jacs65 good to hear that the knee stood up to some serious DIY even if it is angry at you now. Thanks for checking up on me.

@PolarBear60 my hamstrings and glutes are tight so will definitely benefit from some stretching. Again, another good tip.

Right, my parents will be arriving shortly - they're on nursing duty today as hubby has gone to work. Better go get ready.
 
Brilliant report from you today. Have a good time with your parents.

Just to show you there is light at the end of the tunnel, I can do the leg press at the gym now with a 25kg weight! Been increasing it slowly since March and it's quite comfortable now. The quad machine is still only on 10kg as the other knee complains but that's to be expected.

We are just off to a short break to North Wales so expecting to get some walking in.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom