PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@Raffs I still can't do a straight leg raise on my own! If you hold my leg I can, but not on my own power and I'm doing real well. I was exhausted which made me not feel well especially once I got home. I am so surprised how much they are making you do. I walked with the walker and immediately went to crutches. Walking is what I did mostly. I practiced stairs on day 3 and that's about it. No real exercises until PT came to the house. Maybe that's why I'm doing so well. Keep the faith, it will get better!
 
Thanks @tigz and @momweb. PT just been and it was much better than earlier. She said that they like you to do a straight leg lift before you go home but it isn't essential. My pain is better controlled now so I could do what she asked without it hurting, just discomfort. And I've walked the corridor using the frame but no brace! Catheter is staying in til the morning then I'll go for hydrotherapy and start to use crutches. Feeling more positive now. The rollercoaster ride has begun!!
 
I couldn't do a straight leg lift for over 4 weeks! Don't fret it.
 
You are doing well and will do even better when you get home and can ice and elevate for as long as you think you need to . Don't worry about the straight leg raises, they will come.
 
@Raffs be very careful of that PT. I've only just started to do small leg raises, and I can only do 1" heel slides.
I'm glad to hear that you are doing well but please don't let the PT make you think you're doing rubbish. You are doing brilliantly. Well done Lynn x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Thanks to you all.

I was hoping to go home tomorrow but it's definitely going to be Saturday at the earliest now.

@Nana moon 27 I couldn't believe my bad luck when I got one of "those" PTs that I've read about on here and want to avoid. But by the end of the day we'd sorted ourselves out and she could see I was serious about not overdoing it and I was happy because I was able to walk albeit only a short distance with a walker.

@JennyLynne that is very reassuring to hear!

@SuperSnapper I am really looking forward to getting home and recovering my way and the BS way!

@iivesfam5 thank you. I thought I was prepared for this but already some nasty surprises have come along to say hi! Am feeling more positive tonight. 2 weeks to go for you!!
 
Hope your new knee is getting better by the day. Enjoy the hydrotherapy tomorrow take it easy. I have just over a week to go and feel very nervous.
 
@Raffs Glad to hear things have calmed down a bit. I wish I had hydrotherapy, but I still have staples which won't come out until next Thursday so it's still considered an open wound. I have issues with many adhesives so no glue for me. Today I found out I had a Baker's Cyst behind my knee before surgery which is now causing me pain since they did not aspirate it during surgery. Didn't even know I had one. You are right about one thing....this experience is full of surprises and I hate roller coasters! Give me an old fashioned merry-go-round any day!!:loll:
 
@Deeann thanks. It's 2.30am and I can't sleep so am doing some Bonesmarting! Not in pain, just uncomfortable in this hospital bed. I was nervous too, still am, but have found so much support here. You'll be fine, keep asking questions and try not to worry. Easy for me to say now I'm on this side of the surgery! We'll all be here to support you.

@momweb I have staples but the pool here is specially treated and is safe. I'll post about it once I've been in a few hours. Can they aspirate the cyst now? I love coasters but right now would prefer a gentle boat ride!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

Day 3 post-op
 
So, had a session of hydrotherapy this morning. It was pretty good. It was with the PT that I've been working with over the last couple of days which was good as we already knew each other so didn't have to waste time talking.

I was taken to just outside the pool room door in a wheelchair. Was then given a walker and walked to the top of the steps. I was already in my swimsuit and robe and had a change of clothes with me. Left the walker and went slowly down the steps into the lovely warm water. There were two other patients in the pool doing their thing.

The PT got me to sit in a chair that was suspended from the side of the pool and asked me to put my good leg on my operated leg and to gently push it back under the chair as far as I could. Did this a few times and got to 78 flexion. Then did a few mins of gentle cycling under water. Then went to the side of the pool and did some gentle squats, lunges and ankle raises. At no point was I pushed and none of the exercises caused anything more than discomfort. As I was about chest height in the water I felt very supported by the water. The last exercise was to walk backwards slowly across the pool (all the time humming Billie Jean, of course....!).

Then it was time for a shower (lovely) and I was wheeled back to my room.

Was a good experience, will see later if it has caused an increase in pain.

Now back in my room resting and icing, had lunch and meds and awaiting a visit from my parents.

So far, today has been about a million times better than yesterday. Am enjoying a good day whilst I have one.
 
Wow @Raffs that pool sounds absolutely heavenly! We have a special hospital here in Connecticut that caters to rehab and has a pool that sounds similar to that one. Glad to hear your morning was so good, after the incredible start you had, you deserved a good day!
 
The pool was great @momweb I think I'll get another pool session tomorrow and then I've been told I might be able to go home in the afternoon. I've progressed to crutches this afternoon and can get myself up and about ok using the @jacs65 and @SuperSnapper recommended "good leg lifting bad leg" technique which works a treat. Am dressed, showered and going to the bathroom unaided as - finally - the catheter is out. Pain ok too at the moment. Flexion 70-80 - they like you to get to 90 before they discharge you hence the additional hydro session tomorrow. Think extension is 0 is very near to it. I'm feeling incredibly lucky right now as I know that others who started this journey this week too aren't having such a good day. Thanks so far to everyone for your support.
 
Hi @Raffs sound as though you are doing very well and the hydratherapy sounds fab, by the way go tell the 'straight leg lifts' to do one! I was same as @JennyLynne about 4 weeks.
You have so much time for rehab, don't be bullied by PT's as some are bullies and some are lovely.

Glad pain is better control too, have a fab weekend...onward on your road to recovery.
 
Extension is more important at this stage than flexion or so my lovely physio told me. So you are doing really well for such early days! Great news on the pool too, glad you enjoyed it. Have a lovely restful weekend.
 
@jacs65 oh that made me laugh! That PT said she thinks I'll be doing a straight leg lift by Sunday! I'm seeing the PT that I started with a few weeks ago next Friday and it'll be interesting what his attitude is now that I'm post-op. He was quite relaxed pre-op.

Been told that I may be able to go home tomorrow - hope so - this is my 4th night!

Thanks @SuperSnapper thats good to hear. Yes, very early days but today has proved that good days do follow bad!

Happy weekend, all.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom