PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

Very pleased that you're sleeping better. Hope you had a good day with your parents.
 
Excellent report. I experienced sleep like you describe. When I'd get up at 4 am to go to the bathroom (I used the walker at night at first just to make sure I didn't fall), I'd do a quick set of PT exercises to get one out of the way early in the day on my way back to bed. I always felt like I was "cheating" that way.
 
@SuperSnapper Parents were well behaved! They fetched and carried things for me, tidied the garden and sorted out my flowers! Very helpful.

@PolarBear60 I'm sleeping about the same as I did before surgery - I rarely sleep through the night anyway - so at the moment this isn't much different for me. Like your cheating style!

Knee woke me up in the night hot and stiff. First time it has done that. Got up and walked around a little bit, then back to bed for icing before I dropped off to sleep again. I spent more time downstairs yesterday and did a little more walking around so I guess I was being told off!

Taking it easier today, shorter walks but more frequently. Lots of resting, elevating and icing.

Haven't started cutting down on meds yet as they appear to be managing the pain ok. Am 9 days out. When's a good time to start think about cutting down?

Staples out tomorrow and first PT session. Will be my first outing since getting home from hospital on Saturday. Am a little nervous about how the journey will be (30-45 mins) and just generally nervous about being outside the comfort zone of my home for a few hours.
 
Great update! Sleep makes everything a little better!

My neck and back hurt a lot from sleeping propped up. It usually loosened up during the day, but it made the nights tough.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes it does @JennyLynne . So does not being constipated and having a little appetite again!

Neck bit better yesterday and today.

Just been outside into the yard for a few mins - lovely to get some fresh air and sunshine. Three steep steps and no handrail so won't be doing that alone for a while.
 
@Raffs, sleeping still an issue now and again for me and like others back and neck niggles seemed the norm.

Isn't it lovely to have your folks over and look after you for a while.

With regard to the meds, let the body and sleep cut down naturally. I would avoid making a conscious decision to cut back but if you sleep through and forget one lot then so be it.

Think I was off day time meds after week two but also think I have a high pain threshold. No drugs after week four.

Hope you've had a good day
 
I don't have a recommendation for you on cutting down on pain meds. I will share my experience. My doctor told me he was most concerned about me getting off the oxycontin first and didn't really care about the hydrocodone. I was on time release Oxy, two pills a day, and hydrocodone every six hours. I needed to be off narcotics to drive, and since it was a left knee, there weren't significant safety issues as I have an automatic transmission.

After about a week, I cut my Oxy to just night time and skipped the daytime dose. I continued to take the hydrocodone every six hours. This worked well for me. After two weeks, I was off the Oxy and just used hydrocodone. When I got my staples out at two weeks and three days, I had replaced the hydrocodone with 1000mg of generic Tylenol three times a day supplemented with one Aleve at night. After about two weeks, I dropped the Aleve. Just this week (11 weeks out), I've been able to drop down to my pre-surgical twice a day for generic Tylenol.

I think most people would consider that an ambitious schedule, but it worked for me. That's the important thing to remember -- it may not work for you.
 
Everyone is so different re the pain meds @Raffs.
First time around I rather tentatively stopped during the daytime in the first week home and found I was ok without them but iced loads , especially at night.
This time I was ok without them as soon as I got home and just ice was good enough. However, I do think Im unusual in this and this is my second knee so I was more confident in waving good bye to them and how wretched they made me feel.
It just depends on how comfortable your knee feels and whats comfortable for you.
Enjoy being staple free today and I hope the physio goes well.
A trip out will be lovely - you can always take cyro/ice with you. Have a lovely day.
 
Day 10 update - pretty uneventful day yesterday. Took few steps outside. Felt like the quad was starting to wake up a bit as could move leg more easily. Can sit in a chair for a bit longer before it hurts. Got pretty bad heartburn and acid so decided to stop taking the ibuprofen as this has caused similar issues before. I'm taking a proton pump inhibitor (Omeprazole or Lansaprazole) but still was in some discomfort. I was due to stop taking it today anyway. No noticeable increase in pain or inflammation so hopefully it was an ok decision to stop. Managed 4 weak straight leg raises!

Staples removed today. Stung a little but not too painful at all. 25 staples! Wound all good. Looks like a comedy Frankenstein scar! My young nephews will love it when they come to visit on Sunday!

PT session too. Got full extension but only 75 flex which I have to say is a bit disappointing. He said it'll come and I'm doing well. Cleared to go down to one crutch as long as I'm comfortable doing so. Suggested that I use two outside until I'm confident using one. Got to practice walking with a better gait and less swinging of the leg. Carrying on with the 5 exercises I've been doing. Got to stop using the good leg to move the bad leg as much as possible. Booked in for hydrotherapy next Friday as he thinks this will help with my flex and gait. I've seen this PT before and thought he might be too pushy but I couldn't have been more wrong. Said I'll get there slowly and he'll be looking for steady progress each time I see him - an increase of 5-10 degrees in flex for example. Was pretty pleased overall.

Am shattered now! Car journey of about 40 mins each way. Sat in the passenger seat with leg on a pillow and iced there and back. Was as stiff as a board when I got home so icing and elevating now. Going to have a restful afternoon.

So far, so good.

@jacs65, @PolarBear60, @Hopper Thank you for sharing your wisdom re pain meds. I'm on co-codamol every 6 hours (combination of 60 mg codeine and 1000 mg paracetamol/Tylenol). As I've dropped the ibuprofen I think I'll stay on this combo for a couple of days to make sure I'm getting adequate pain control. Then I will start dropping down and replacing some of the co-codamol with just paracetamol/Tylenol. I'm seeing my doctor on Tuesday so will discuss further with her then.

Happy Friday, everyone! :yahoo:
 
Glad things are going well. I still find it hard sitting on a chair for longer than about 45 minutes to an hour. Well done on going down to one crutch and good news about your ROM and flex.
Keep icing, resting and elevating. Take meds regularly and have a great weekend. :dancy:
 
Hey @Raffs don't be disappointed with 75 ROM - its good. Why should it be more? Listen to your nice physio.
Both my OSs protocol was to keep the ROM under 90 the first 1-2 weeks and keep under 110 up to 6 weeks. They both said 'do not force the bend'!
Have a relaxing weekend with the little ones!
 
Thanks @CATSMUM and @Hopper

As the day has gone on I've been worrying more and more about my 75 flex. I've made the mistake of comparing it to others who had surgery around the same time and it seems a bit, well, rubbish.

Going to try doing heel slides seated instead of on the bed as I think that might work better for me.

And going to try not to worry - easier said than done!
 
Have a laugh @Raffs and try comparing it to mine - it's been something like 50, 61, 72, 80, and then not measured this week but I know anyhow that it's increased. I'm sure there's still some swelling inside as that's natures way of protecting as you heal. My surgeon is totally laid back about ROM at this stage. I suspect yours will be too.
I have a good flexion in my first knee so I know it will come along. My second knee certainly isn't rubbish, regardless of its bend - it's great. I'm walking well, pain free and can feel the strength returning beautifully. Yours will do the same and the flexion will come along as your knee steadily heals.
I am sporty, fit and healthy. An ex athlete who is still very competitive. Believe me and the lovely people here, you don't need to panic or worry after only ten days of recovery. Let your knee and surrounding tissue heal. The poor old thing has been through a bit of trauma recently. Give it a cuddle.
You are doing so well. You can afford to relax and not worry.

Ps - heel slides on the bed are 'orrible!
 
Don't judge by others. Everyone heals at their own rate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I think I was at two weeks when I did my first car ride (and it was only 20 minutes each way). And yes, I iced and elevated the rest of the day. That proton pump inhibitor I took tore my stomach up and caused nausea and put me off French toast for a long time to come.

Thought of you this morning. I elevated on the snowleopard pillow early this a.m., and went back to sleep. Awakened with leg mooshed over to the edge, sharing serious pillowspace with the cat, who btw could pass as a favorite littermate of your girl in the avatar photo. Smiled up at me when I acceded the whole thing to her. She likes it.

She also likes the CPM machine, which I store on a tote next to the bed. She does that panther-draped-on-a-tree-branch thing with it. Her stable name is kittygirl, but her formal name is Serendipity Bell Button Gum Tigerrr the Cat. She has to be very naughty indeed to get the whole version. She's been paying a great deal of attention to the grate in the floor of this bedroom, which isn't fastened on, and I'm starting to wonder if the vole made it down there for safety. I sincerely hope not. Will hobble over and take a look later today.

75 sounds good to me, too. I'm five weeks today, and am thrilled at getting closer to zero extension. My PT said that flexion comes, and increases in small increments for a long time. It's the extension that we're looking for at this point. FWIW.

Feel better!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just did a straight leg raise! Only an inch off the bed and only for two seconds but a little bit of progress!! Woo hoo!

Hey there. Just reading your thread. I use ice as much as I can, have one of those ice machines, elevate when needed. Take meds every 4 hours, hydrocodone 7.5. I could not do any leg raises for like 1 1/2 weeks! Now finally can do some. I am at day 16. My main issue has been nite time sleep and getting comfortable. Finally getting there. Sounds like you are doing awesome to me. Keep it up!
 
@Hopper I would never laugh at your ROM!! Your recovery is such an inspiration and very reassuring - slow, steady and calm. What sport(s) did you/do you play and compete at? Thanks for the pep talk, fee miles better today. Been doing heel slides in a chair this morning - what a revelation!! Got so much more movement and much less discomfort.

@tigz You are quite right. I've broken Rule No 1 and started comparing when I've read on here hundreds of times not to - thanks for the reminder!

@snowleopard It would take a lot to put me off of French toast! Hmm, cats..... They really know how to make their presence felt. Sadly, we lost our girl to cancer a couple of months ago. House still feels very empty. Was saying to hubby last night that I wonder how she would have been around all of this knee stuff. She liked snoozing on our laps in bed so would have been pleased with me sleeping on my back the whole time. She was plain old Patti, although did have a number of ridiculous nicknames! Although not quite on a par with Kittygirl's full title. Thank you too for the pep talk. I've had full extension since straight after the surgery, leg is very happy to be nice and straight. Bending will improve now that I've discovered sitting heel slides.

@tigwy11 Thanks. Sounds like you're doing really well. I'll go over and read your thread today. Thanks for stopping by.
 
Think we're all guilty at times of comparing our recovery with others, l know l do. Guess it's human nature to do that. I also was comparing this recovery with my previous tkr which is a big no no. You're doing remarkably well l must say, I'm also a little envious of your ability to get a 0 extension from the day of your op!!! Keep up the good work.
 
I struggled with ROM early too-
The tightness at the top of my knee was so prohibitive. For me, I found my progress came it fits and bursts- nothing for a few days and sudden improvement. It taught me not to analyze it constantly. Easier said than done!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Knee is more swollen, stiff and hot today than it usually is in the early hours of the morning. A friend came to see me yesterday so I spent more time downstairs on the sofa - still icing and elevating but in a slightly different position. Perhaps did a teeny bit more walking too. Normal for the knee to react like this at 11/12 days out?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom