PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

I have occasionally gotten those "May I have your attention, please?" pains. I've no idea what's going on, but since they were passing and occasional, I chalked it up to part of the process. And yes, once in awhile I get that slidey patella thing. Again, transient and infrequent, so I shrug and move on. Part of our new life as cyborg?
 
Wow sounds like you're doing really well, almost back to normal. It takes time before you're new knee will feel as if it's part of you, think it was about 6 months or so before l felt my left knee was just another part of my body. The only time I knew it wasn't was when lmwas gong through airport security!
Hope you're taking it easy today and putting your feet up. x
 
5 weeks today!! The time has absolutely flown by. The days go so quickly too. I'm supposed to start working from home part-time in 2 weeks - eek! I'll see how I'm feeling nearer the time and won't start unless I'm ready.

Nothing much to report from yesterday. Exercised, walked, iced and elevated. Made a few calls, did some life admin. Knee seemed happy until about 6pm when it swelled up a bit so I just took it easy until bedtime. The sharp pain appears to have eased. No scabs left so will start oiling and massaging today. Can see a tiny bit of definition too, slightly less of a round lump. Some more life admin today. Will cook chilli for tonight's dinner, might go crazy and paint my toenails! :egypdance:
 
Time goes so quickly doesn't it. Glad that you're going to see how you feel about working from home, you'll be surprised at how much it takes out of you.

The knee is still boss and let's you know when it's had enough, you were wise to listen to it. Glad the definition is beginning to reappear too, each day will show signs of improvement, we've just got to remember not to do anything silly! Enjoy your chilli and make sure you don't paint your nails a too garish colour!

Will update my thread when l get back from seeing my OS.
 
Yesterday was ok. Did my exercises, walked outside for about 25 mins. Knee definitely had enough by then. Painted my toenails (red), made a chilli, watched half a movie. More of the same today.

When will my knee start to feel "normal"? By this I mean when will I be able to move it around without thinking about it. For example, if I'm sitting on the bed and I want to bend or straighten or move my left leg, I can just do it. I have to think before doing anything with my right leg, concentrate on bending it, concentrate on putting it down onto the floor from the bed etc. It is still stiff, heavy and doesn't feel like it belongs to me. Normal for 5 weeks out??

I also find that come the evening it feels more swollen and stiff than earlier in the day. Again, normal??
 
Very normal for 5 weeks out. Think it was a good 3 months or so before l started to forget that I'd had a tkr and it felt like part of me. It's also very normal for your knee to be stiff and swollen in the evening. Think there's a Bonesmart article about the stiffness etc.

You're doing really well and everything you're experiencing sounds pretty normal to me from what l can remember from my tkr in 2013.

Sounds like you had a good day yesterday, painting your toenails amongst other things, lol.
 
@CATSMUM thanks, that's good to hear. I think I'm doing ok, I'm so thankful not to have had any major issues so far.
 
It's nice to hear that we are normal, lol. I too am stiff in evening and of course the morning. 25 minute walk! You are moving ahead so fast. My PT said about 1 yer you forget you have a foreig object in your body.
 
I'm 21 months out, almost 2 years and I can do almost everything I want, but I always am aware my right knee is not the original. I've read some people forget, I haven't forgotten yet. Yes, it's much much better than the pain I was 2 years ago at this time and my activity level is 100% better. It doesn't really hurt, even in the morning, however getting out of a low chair or sofa can be hard and getting off the floor is really difficult. I don't have to plan out my day according to my knee pain. I can shop, swim, clean all in one day.
Maybe it's a year before there's no pain, but I wasn't feeling much pain at month 8 or 9.
 
Thanks @KarriB Will you need your left knee doing and, if so, do you know when you'll have it done?
 
Left knee has to be done, it has been worse longer than my right, however my right just gave out on me while on vacation 2 years ago. I couldn't take a step without pain and spent the remaining 4 days in the beach house. My OS said it was like when your brakes give out on the car.
Because my recovery was so complicated and I'm still on antibiotics I'm trying to wait as long as I can. My ID will probably put me on IV antibiotics before and after the surgery and my OS has said there'll be no aggressive bending with my left knee as he doesn't think my soft tissue reacts well to aggressive bending. Sooooo I'd like to get it done in the spring so I don't have to go back to school after a substitute, I'd still be able to get outside and possibly salvage some of the summer. But I had thought this last spring and I didn't do it. I'm waiting till the pain is bad and I'm not taking anything for pain right now. No Tylenol, Advil, Aleve, nothing.
 
A few observations:

(1) after being inspired by @tigwy11 yesterday, I tentatively tried walking up stairs normally and managed to do about 3 stairs. Not going to push it for now, but was good to try. Down stairs is not going to happen just yet.
(2) the toilet frame has been consigned to the attic ready for next time!
(3) I can sit down and get up easier, even from my low sofa.
(4) haven't been measured this week but I think my flex has improved.
(5) I can sit for longer before I'm uncomfortable.
(6) reluctant to say so but......I think the tight band is reducing....sshhh.
(7) my new PT exercises seem a little easier today.

I'm posting these so when I next have a meltdown I can read back and be reminded of some of the good things. Plus, if anybody out there is having a bad day or is contemplating surgery but is nervous about the recovery then perhaps this list will give hope to someone else.

Just one thing though......occasionally it feels like my knee is going to give way when I'm walking. It doesn't, and the feeling doesn't happen very often. I think I've read about this on here before and weak quad was the culprit. I'll ask my PT about this when I next see him but just wondered if anybody else has experienced this?
 
@KarriB my right knee suddenly gave out on me at the end of January after a couple of busy days. It was a dreadful shock as I didn't think it was that bad. It's awful when that happens isn't it? I have been pretty much housebound ever since, although now is different, of course, because I've had the surgery so I can see a hopeful future again. Well, assuming my left knee holds up for a while..... I've read your thread and seen how difficult your journey has been so am not at all surprised that you're waiting as long as you can. Good to know that our BS friends will be here to help us through it, isn't it? I've told everyone I know that I would have been lost without this forum and the many wonderful people here.
 
It's great to be able to look back and reflect on how you got to present day. I was unaware of BS, but used Facebook to record and ask for prayers and I can look back on FB also. Hopefully only good days ahead for you.
 
I will note getting off the floor and out of a low chair was pretty darned difficult before I got my knee replaced. At this point, I have the hope of it being better than it was. Unfortunately, the days of lying on my back on the floor and springing to my feet are long behind me. Sigh. Too bad I didn't appreciate that ability back then.
 
@Raffs - doing a bit of catch up on your thread.. don't know how I got so far behind.. With the TEDs, I was told 6 weeks.. They are driving me nuts!! I was ready to call it quits this weekend (3 weeks) and then the compression stocking police came (my two daughters.. one a nurse and one studying to be).... They "made me" (out of guilt and intimidation) put them back on.. :sad: I may comply for a while, but .. maybe not for long.. ?? (wow.. I KNOW I'm not myself.. don't usually cave to guilt and intimidation!! :heehee:)

Sounds like you're really able to move about the house pretty well. I can HARDLY wait till I can find enough energy to get up and do the dusting on top of what I'm doing just for recovery.. (walking, biking, exercises) You give me hope!! And cooking!! Chili sounds good, though it's pretty warm here these days!

Oh.. and I agree, cute picture!! :yes:
 
You have a good frame of reference for stairs now. Amazing on the toilet frame and the low sofa. Even at 15 weeks, those are still problem areas for me. I almost typed "killers" but that part is mostly in my head. The actual pain is low when I get up off low seating, but I still hesitate for a good minute building up the courage to try to rise.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom