PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

First knee time around I found I did get stir crazy and bawled my eyes out with frustration. It didn't help that I was in a foreign country and away from my family. This time around has been easier because I knew what to expect I suppose and I've had more people around.
Its both cloudy and sunny today @Raffs - can you sit outside and read? Fresh air is good and a bit of greenery helps soothe the body and soul.
My physio gave my IT band a really good knead yesterday and it didn't wake me up when I turned over last night. Its only been misbehaving for two weeks during the night , a nocturnal band - she thinks its as Ive increased my daily activity.
Try to think of the positives in all of this. You are healing well :yahoo: and will have a lovely knee joint to enjoy long before Christmas shopping gets you in its torrid grip.:yikes:
I had to nip out on errands today :hiking: , do some work work, and I'm about to prepare an evening meal for the family. In between I've elevated and had a peak on here. Normality is returning slowly.
I'm only four weeks ahead of you so you can see before you know it this imposed extra leisure time you have at the moment will have gone. So - make the most of it, put your feet up and chill!:bath::martini: You will be back at work in no time :dubious:
Things are getting better and better for you each week. :egypdance:
 
@Slainte thank you for the virtual hug. It is much appreciated. Read your thread earlier - sounds like you're doing great. Will pop by shortly to say hi.

@Nana moon 27 wonderful advice, thanks. I have been isolating myself a bit as I don't want to spread the gloom to my friends! It's wonderful being able to offload on here to my knee friends who just get it. I'm going to make the effort to be more sociable even if just by text and phone. I've been reading today and watched a movie, both good distractions. Hope you're doing ok, will pop over to your thread once I've written this.

@tigwy11 my last meltdown was at 2 weeks so perhaps I'll get this every 2 weeks!! Hope not!

@Braunzie thank you too for the hug. When I think of where I was 4 weeks ago I have come very far!! Will go check out your thread now too.

@CATSMUM today has been hard too but I'm feeling a bit better thanks. Had a relaxing day and feel extremely cheered up when I come on here and see all these lovely messages of support.

@Hopper yep, bawled my eyes out a few times in the last 24 hours. Wish I still had my little cat, she always made a great tissue!! I went out for a walk earlier and that definitely helped to lift my mood. Weather should be a bit nicer tomorrow so me and my Kindle will go outside for a while. Enjoying this enforced leisure time is a really good idea - working from home is looming in 3 weeks.....

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH :roseshwr:
 
Really pleased that you're feeling a little better. Always look forward to reading your replies. Aldo noticed you've been a very active bonesmart member on many of the threads recently, lol.
My cat was missing in action for a few hours this afternoon, he was snoozing in the sun in the garden. He's really good company and l can really understand what you mean about a great tissue!
 
Glad you are feeling more yourself. You have helped me so much on these boards and I look forward to reading your posts. I am hoping to not have a meltdown this week. We will see....
 
Not much to say today. Mood has improved thank goodness. Knee was feeling good until I decided to stand in the kitchen for 30 mins or so and do some cooking. First proper meal I've cooked for a month! Now it feels swollen and very tight again - sigh. Now icing and elevating... Managed a 20 min walk this morning, tight band still driving me crazy. I'd be doing so much better if it wasn't for that. But all in all, not a bad day.
 
Sounds like you've overdone things, strange how just doing little things can just push you over the top. Glad that earlier in the day was good. You're doing the best thing by icing and elevating. I still have the tight band too, just wish it would hurry up and settle down. Hope tomorrow is better for you. :wink:
 
@Raffs - Glad you're mood is better today. Despite your knee "talking to you" because of your working in the kitchen, I bet it felt good to actually DO some cooking yourself. (I love cooking and that is definitely one of the things I miss while I'm "out of commission"... ) 20 minute walk on top of that.. is a lot. Good that you are elevating and icing.. Hope you can relax the rest of the day. :friends:
 
The tight band is annoying for sure. But I guess I think that I need to try to do more normal life things just to see if I can. I have not made much dinner either in the last month. I do have a chair in the kitchen that I sit in quite often. And I also think any type of moving is good! Kudos on your walk today!
 
Hi, Raffs-
Glad the mood is better today . . . I sure can relate to those bluesy days, and it looks like lots of us can. It does help to realize it's part of the process . . . I second others' saying you have been so kind and lovely to others, we only hope to offer you some of the same support when the going gets tough. It will get better week by week! Meanwhile, we have each other. :-) Your fan--JBrooklyn!
 
@Nana moon 27 has a good idea. I have a high stool in my classroom I use while teaching at the board. I don't need it so much right now, but it sure served a purpose.
 
I had to return to the kitchen or starve to death with the non cooks in my house. I did all preparation sitting if I could, with my leg propped up. They did at least follow directions well and bring me what I needed. A barstool helped at the sink.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks, everyone. Knee was fine during the night and feels ok this morning so I'm hoping that it was just a temporary grumble after my Masterchef moment yesterday. I elevated and iced the rest of the evening.

Another quiet day ahead today. Will go for a walk, read (hopefully outside in the garden) and make a few boring but essential calls. Getting my hair done tomorrow which involves a 30 min car journey each way plus sitting in the salon and manoeuvring myself onto the flat lying-down chair to get my hair washed - that might be interesting!!

@CATSMUM does your tight band affect your walking? Mine does because it is underneath the knee joint which means I can't bend it properly when I move my leg forwards when taking a step. But when I stand still and bend the knee in a lunge it bends really well - so annoying!

@Braunzie I enjoy cooking too and it was good to do it. My hubby is a much better cook then I am though so I'm not in a great hurry to do too much more :heehee:

@Nana moon 27 @KarriB that's a good idea. I don't have a stool or room for one in my tiny kitchen but I think I'll sit at the dining table to do the chopping and prep from now on, then I just need to stand at the stove.

@jbrooklyn thank you! What a lovely thing to say. Like many others on here I'm just trying to give support to others after receiving such amazing support myself.

@tigz I like the idea of directing operations from a sitting position watching others do the hard work!!
 
@Raffs, hope was just a tiny hiccup and you will have a great weekend. Don't be too hard on yourself. Give yourself the credit you deserve for coming so far. We will get there. My mantra is, "baby steps".
My dr actually told me that I have a 4 week old baby, any my expectations should be as such.....
 
@Raffs it does a little but has really settled in the last couple of weeks (well it had!). It will gradually improve - guess patience is something we don't do well, we want to run before we can walk. You're doing really well so give yourself a pat on the back.
 
@Raffs, Dips sends a tummy-walk and shicatsu massage your way to cheer you through the blues. I think you're going to see a real lifting of the spirits in a few more weeks. It feels like forever until it starts getting better. It sounds as if all your hard work and hoop-shooting is bound to hit critical mass any minute now . . .
 
Been thinking about something @Nana moon 27 said about thinking of all the good small things that I can see have improved:

(1) I can look after myself easily on a day to day basis now - showering, preparing meals, little bit of light tidying and pottering.
(2) I can walk outside on my own for 15-20 mins.
(3) I don't need to use a crutch indoors apart from coming down my steep stairs.
(4) My flex increased from 75 to 107 without me doing anything apart from regular heel slides.
(5) My quad is getting stronger, I can lift my leg in and out of bed etc without trouble.
(6) Most of the time I can walk as soon as I stand up without waiting for my knee to loosen up.
(7) I can get in and out of the car unaided.
(8) I can sit for longer before my knee hurts.
(9) I'm sleeping pretty well.
(10) I'm on less pain meds.

And a list of things I wish would hurry up and improve:

(1) Still have some swelling.
(2) Stiffness.
(3) The feeling that my knee doesn't really belong to me.
(4) Tight band
(5) Tight band
(6) Tight band
(7) Tight band
(8) Tight band
(9) Tight band
(10) Tight band............!!!!!
 
@simryg I don't have kids but I know plenty of people who do so can see where your doc is coming from!

@CATSMUM that's v reassuring. I need to be able to walk without limping by week 10 if possible!!

@snowleopard a shicatsu massage would be just lovely, send her round...!
 
All those small things = the road to recovery. Well done xxx know exactly what you mean abut stiffness...yuk and ouch!!! X
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom