Guest viewing is limited

Wrist R Pinkie Extensor Rupture

@mendogal I don't know if this will help your thumb but I'll throw it out here. When my left thumb began hurting and locking up (about 7-8 years ago) I was really NOT wanting to consider any more surgeries! Still don't. But I got to thinking. Both my Dad and his mother had arthritis in their hands and they swore by copper bracelets - both said the bracelets helped with pain and with keeping finger joints functioning. So I got one for myself. My thinking was:
1- It's noninvasive
2- Was not addictive
3- Couldn't hurt
4- If it worked then wonderful ... if not then I'd have a pretty bracelet to wear.
5- It's relatively inexpensive

For me this does work! My thumb (left one) does ache a bit but pain is not any worse than when I began wearing the bracelet and it now rarely locks up though it use to do that at least once a day.

You can find thousands of copper bracelets on Amazon - from very simple and inexpensive to elaborate works of art. I wear cuff bracelets of solid copper with embossed design of leaves and flowers (I have added one for my right hand too as that was getting a bit achy and stiff) ... the ones I got are made in Tibet and part of the price goes to support the Dalai Lama at Dharmasala.

Just a thought for you and your poor thumb.
 
Thank you @djklaugh - I'm so glad you find them helpful!
I always actively disliked wearing a wristwatch or anything around my wrist.

However your suggestion reminded me about the fingerless gently compressive and warming arthritis gloves, which I LOVED. Now as my incision is beautifully healed, if I can't dig out a pair that's what I'll be buying.
 
@mendogal I just don't see why you would want to avoid thumb surgery! :shrug: Lol.
Guess what? You also get to use the therapeutic putty for it, too. All kidding aside, if anyone can relate, it's me. The pain can be intense and limiting. I am so ready to take care of that this Wednesday. It's not just the pain with this right one, it's the grinding of the bones, too. Not fun. I guess it's like we tell our members: you'll know when it is time.

I don't know if you've found a brace yet but I love the one my OT set me me up with initially (bilaterally) with the first surgical consult. It's called Comfort Cool. They helped so much, I wore them home from the OS office. I've been living in the right one (yes, they're made for specific hands) for the last couple of weeks. It definitely makes things tolerable. They're flexible enough to let you move but give you some decent support through the thumb and wrist. You can order them off of Amazon. I just got a second R one. Obviously, I highly recommend.

I got bilateral basal thumb injections that first consult, also. They did not do anything for my pain. My OS didn't seem surprised but then again, my arthritis was pretty advanced. I don't steer people away because it did get me some more time with my shoulder. I figure if it's recommended to try, it's worth a shot. What a great pun! :) :-) (:

Here's to finding some pain relief. But I'm glad the rest of your healing is coming along so well. Blessings.
 
Thank you @Hip4life I simply don't like any splint because in order to create compression where needed they create profound discomfort somewhere else. I have a way I can use split lengthwise old school white athletic tape to wrap only the base of the thumb that I do for short periods (when doing strength machines I often tape underneath fingerless gentle compression gloves).

Twelve weeks postop!
I can do more ADLs, being sensitive to the ulnar wrist and forearm signaling to stop.
I can carry my cell phone or an empty coffee mug around the house, put lighter weight garments on hangers, fold most clothing after the laundry (the long-standing partnership is I put up laundry, MDH puts it in the drier; he removes it from the drier handing me whatever needs folding), use the sliding blade paper cutter to collage, and do some computer use.

We've cut PT to once a week as I can work on ROM and strengthening at my own slow pace but want her check in and guidance for another month if possible. Plus the ultrasound!

I am definitely in a good frame of mind now. My next goals are managing a paintbrush and, by the time it turns cold here, pull up and zip etc my jeans. I don't really love pull on pants!
 
Whoop! Whoop!!!! You’re human again. :loveshwr:
 
13 weeks.
Major milestone: I can properly do a two handed dental flossing - but as I tend to overdo by a little and ache by evening, I'm alternating one day upper, one day lower, and just using the microbrush with my lefty on the alternate schedule.

PT: saw last Friday and we agreed there's nothing more for her to teach me. I will have a final session/eval with her Nov 10, two days before my surgeon appt, so he'll have her d/c summary.

Fingers ROM and fine motor is great. the grip and hand overall is still very weak. The wrist, where the bone work was done, is weak and feels fragile still especially on rotation of the radius. The thumb is slowly improving and I am optimistic that with patience a steroid shot won't be needed.
 
I had my last PT yesterday. My range of motion is very good. 15 weeks post op.

My grip strength is quite weak (10 pounds vs 22 pounds on the left) so I have a stiffer putty to work with, more often through the day. This explains most of my remaining functional deficits and I'm optimistic that the coming months will see continuing improvement.

I'm using a 3 pound weight for forearm and biceps but only alternate days to allow for recovery.

I have a call in to my local non-surgeon sports med doc's practice. I hope a steroid injection into the base of the thumb will remove that pain so it's easier for me to gauge the actual discomfort at the distal radial-ulnar joint or the hand. It's too easy for it to all meld together.
 
Happy to read that your ROM has come back. And I'm glad you feel good about your strength coming back with time and exercise.

Keep us posted. Your journey with this surgery has been really interesting. I'm glad you've shared it!
 
Monday was 4 months!

I can do a few new things - cut with regular size scissors, do some pencil sketching, scoop the cat litter; this evening I opened a pop-top can of Amy's soup myself!

So the grip strength and hand activity tolerance is definitely improving, however slowly.

Finger extension at the PIPs isn't great. On passive range of motion stretching I can get them fairly straight. This is NOT a matter of post op swelling like we see in TKR; this is from the prolonged immobility in the cast, so as with post-polio and post-stroke rehab, the stretching is appropriate.

The wrist, where the distal ulna-radius joint had considerable work done, still doesn't like rotating quickly or under much torque, and rewards me with immediate pain if I demand too much. I cannot go fully palm up without discomfort, and dare not do it under load. However the turn IS adequate enough to be functional, to, say, accept coin change at the store.

My thumb is a bit better. I have an appointment with the sports med doc at the end of the month, which I will cancel if the thumb is ok by then.

Overall, I'm going through days at plateau followed by small improvement, and I know the next few months will see a lot of functionality return. Can't wait to get at my woody perennial shrubs with the pruners!
 
Wow, what a journey you've been on. I had no idea of the complexity of recovery until I read your thread. Thanks for sharing.
 
I agree with Deb. The great detail in your recovery journey will be helpful to anyone facing this surgery so they have a better idea of what to expect. But you are still moving forward and this is wonderful! I bet you’ll be ready when spring comes and you want to get out there in the garden.
 
@mendogal It really has been an interesting journey. It's different from other joint surgeries yet also some parallels in the recovery. I notice the same plateau and small improvements. Waiting for the functionality to return tests my patience sorely even though I know it just takes some work and time. I think part of that is that the left thumb is still doing its improvements and then I stepped right back to square one with the right. Not fair! Anyway, I'm glad you're getting there. I am also looking forward to getting some yard work done in the spring that I have had to put off. We've got a little bit of time to get these hands into shape! Onward!
 
Catching up here and it's close enough to wish you a Happy Six Month Anniversary!
May you comfortably have those pruners in hand soon, cutting your perennial shrubs with ease.
Have a great week, MG! :SUNsmile:
@mendogal
 
Thank you for checking in @Layla !
There's nothing major to report.

My hand grip is still slowly improving in strength. This allows for longer sessions on activities that require stamina in using hand and fingers (chores, food prep, art making, scissors, etc.).

Pain at the ulna-radial joint with wrist rotation plus grip and wrist weakness still prevent me from independence with things like lifting and carrying, tools using (pruners, screwdrivers), opening some containers. MDH still has to put hanging hardware on my artwork and my gym buddy has to adjust the seat settings on the leg strength training machines.

The wrist concerns me a little but I remain hopeful that things will continue to improve in the coming months.
 
Coming up on 8 months postop and I'm MUCH happier than two months ago.

Between the 6th month and the 8th month my hand grip strength equals my other hand, though not yet with the same stamina. But I can do a solid 15 minutes of pruning woody perennials!

My carrying ability is increasing in weight capacity nicely, as long as there's no need to turn the wrist.

It's easier to open containers. I almost never need ask for help.

The area of the wrist where bone work was done often aches at the end of the day but rarely outright hurts and when I take acetaminophen it's generally for other reasons altogether.

I have no scheduled ortho appointment until late May and I hope to be cleared for light strength training on the machines at the gym then.
 
Great news. Glad you are seeing improvement, Janet!
 
This is a wonderful progress report. Amazing that the recovery takes so long. It really requires patience, I’m sure. I’m so glad you documented all this for others who may have this surgery so they know what to expect. It sounds like you’re well on your way to getting back to normal, though. I’m so happy for you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom