Wrist R Pinkie Extensor Rupture

This is a wonderful progress report. Amazing that the recovery takes so long. It really requires patience, I’m sure. I’m so glad you documented all this for others who may have this surgery so they know what to expect. It sounds like you’re well on your way to getting back to normal, though. I’m so happy for you.
It really is akin to the the TKR timeline!
 
For some reason I thought it might be a bit easier on you because it’s not a weight bearing joint. But it is a complex area, so I guess the time frame makes sense.
 
@mendogal So glad things are going so well. I look around my yard and see all the tasks that have been neglected, for good reason: pain! Now, I’m ready to tackle them. Well, at least a few to start. lol. I still have some of the stiffness and occasional pain like you. I know from before that some of it is scar tissue that just has to be worked to loosen it up. Slow and steady like everything. But you give me inspiration that it can be done. Blessings for continued good healing and a good report in May.
 
Nice update, Janet!
Good to read you're significantly happier than you were two months ago. That's a great sign of healing.
I hope you're back to all that you love soon. :)
@mendogal
 
Update: within a couple of weeks of my last update I realized my wrist and forearm were bothering me more of the day and sometimes It was more than aching. I figured I was overdoing things and cut way back. No more pruning, no more lifting and carrying except the lightest loads.
Through May I continued further reducing the challenges but the pain was somewhat greater. My hand grip strength wasn't really affected. It was localized at the outer side of the big ulnar bump, sometimes radiating up the forearm, worse with turning the hand over.
I had my follow up with the surgeon today. I got lucky! My pain pattern was a 100% a match for extensor carpi ulnar tendonitis so I got a steroid shot right away. Babying it for a while.
I could not even use the elliptical to work out because even a light grip on the stationary handbar hurt after ten minutes. I found a Zumba class that meets Fridays at 10 and will try that. My metabolism desperately needs a regular aerobic workout!
 
:wave: Hi Janet,
Sorry you had to deal with the aching and reduced activity, but it's good to hear you've received a diagnosis and hopefully the injection brings speedy relief.
Enjoy that Zumba class on Friday!
@mendogal
 
Thank you @Layla - it was a relief to have a diagnosable issue rather than a "well THAT'S interesting" :loll:
 
@mendogal It can be frustrating when those soft tissue issues creep up. You are just getting back to the fun life but your hand/arm has other ideas. I’m glad it had an answer and solution. I can empathize as my thumb/wrist have been complaining as of late as well. I suspect it’s similar but will monitor for now. My yard will suffer. Oh, well. Blessings for good relief soon. :fingersx::) :-) (:
 
Nine days after the steroid injection that tendon is finally calming down. Phew! You better believe I won't be challenging it much for a while!
 
So glad the injection worked to calm things down, Janet. Keep babying it.
 
Good news, Janet! May it only get better. :thumb:
@mendogal
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom