Wrist R Pinkie Extensor Rupture

Glad to read you are on the healing side now. Wishing you relief from pain as you recover.
 
Interesting about your anesthetic. I’ve had procedures a number of times with no breathing tube. It seems to depend on the level of sedation required. Sorry you had to go through the sore throat. But….I certainly respect the decisions of the anesthesiologist. They are the experts!
 
@Jamie yes, it's not intubation, just the plastic oral airway for mechanical reasons. The propofol relaxes structures enough it's easy for the upper airway to occlude.
 
Things I didn't think about ahead of time: anything in a paper or foil pouch, from a tea bag to a bandaid to the cats' probiotics I had to hold with my left hand and rip with my teeth in the middle of the night.

Today Stu stood at the kitchen counter with scissors pre-slicing the tops of various things I might want!
 
Good lessons learned…..the hard way!
 
It’s something like trying to open a ziplock bag of cookies while one is driving, very hard!

Are you near the tsunami watch/warning? Stay safe!
 
@mendogal I'm glad you're on the healing side. I was amazed at all the "little" things that I hadn't thought of that I couldn't do! The most frustrating to me was bottle caps and jars. Oh, I could get the guys to open them but when they weren't around-so frustrated. Luckily, that phase didn't last too long but I did have my husband do some pre-emptive strikes around the kitchen. :heehee: I also got a set of tools for arthritic hands which made those tasks much easier for me to do myself when I was able. Blessings for continued good healing and comfort from the pain.
 
Thank you @Hip4life - I have used arthritis-friendly tools for almost 25 years because of thumb and wrist issues and they're a boon!

Post op day 2. I had a really good night sleep (11 - 8!) and rested in the recliner after breakfast. Took a shower, yay (arm and hand in plastic, elevated outside the shower curtain). Stepped into the backyard for a few minutes.

The pain regimen is fine but if I don't taper radically the codeine will run out Saturday. I put a call in to my ortho's MA. Apparently, unlike his knee colleague, he's the kind who doesn't like to add more (it was every 6 hours as needed, only 15 pills... so not quite a five day supply). We will see if he honors my request.

My throat is still quite sore from the airway and when the outpatient surgery nurse checked in today I made sure they were aware. But overall I am feeling much better.
 
Post op day 5!
My concern about inadequate pain relief was happily unfounded. From the severe pain through post op day 2 I assumed it would last as long as my postop TKA pain. Nope!

Thursday and Friday I was fine on 1/2 an acetaminophen with codeine plus an extra strength acetaminophen three times a day. This morning I just took two extra strength acetaminophen.

If I move the arm too suddenly at certain angles or with the muscles inadvertently tensed, there's a shot of pain in the wrist, but it's too short lived to require medication (think of stubbing your toe).

I'm a black denim and tshirt gal, but am so glad I purchased a bunch of sleeveless pullover dresses. I haven't gone into town (or off our property) yet but have dressed for visitors. I think today Stu might drive me into town.

He's useless at folding clothes and our featherbed topper makes linen changing a two person task, so a friend is comin over tomorrow to assist. It's gratifying to have a few local friends happy to schedule assistance!
 
Glad to read that your pain is well-controlled, Janet! Enjoy your drive into town, but be careful with those sudden movements.

He's useless at folding clothes
Funny how our husbands seem unable to perform the most basic household tasks, isn't it? ( I remember when I told mine he was responsible for folding his own clothes or they would sit in the basket and wrinkle. Suddenly he developed skills :heehee: )
 
Sounds like a good report to me. If your pain is in control and under control everything else seems to work out.

I'd be glad to 'loan' Don to you to fold - he is terrific at it. Just don't allow him to put anything away after folding or you'll never see it again. Bless his heart he tries so hard. Or when you do stumble upon it you'll roar with laughter because its just funny when he's put things.

Glad your friends will help you.
 
It definitely pays to cultivate a sense of humor around these things!

I explain how I would like veggies chopped or sliced or diced (normally I cook, he cleans up and does dishes)... I MUST leave the kitchen to avoid critiquing, rolling my eyes, or sighing... as long as they're prepped I have to let go of the process :heehee:
 
Even though he may not cut/dice/chop the way you would, he is a keeper for doing the cooking ... and making (hopefully) yummy meals. :roseshwr:
 
Even though he may not cut/dice/chop the way you would, he is a keeper for doing the cooking ... and making (hopefully) yummy meals. :roseshwr:
Oh I cooked what he prepped - he hasn't cooked me a meal since 1979 ( it was Joy of Cooking Cheese Soufle)!!!
But yes he's100% a keeper. That's why I had a trophy custom made (when his 70th bday fell when I was 4 days postop with my first TKR) naming him America's Sweetheart.
 
@mendogal You gotta love that our hubbies try! I found the same thing: if my hubby is doing a task I normally would do, I have to leave the vicinity or put my "biting the tongue armor" on. Lol.

I'm glad to hear that your pain improved quickly. Pain control is always the first thing that pops into my head with a surgery, any more. I can handle it as long as there is some narcotic available for the worst of it. It is always a conversation that I have with my surgeon to make sure we're on the same page. It's nice when it works out just the way it needs to.

I have to smile about your clothes. I definitely learned a lot about post arm/hand surgery easy and comfortable clothing choices. I'm glad I didn't get rid of all of my oversized, a bit stretched out t-shirts. They became my favorites all over again and they'll come in handy in the future. I hope you enjoyed your outing. It makes you feel a little more human again just like that first shower. Keep hangin' in.
 
Two weeks post op.
I wake up every day pain free. I'm really good about respecting the immobilizer but at times as the arm moves through space there's too much muscle tension and it hurts briefly. And by late afternoon or dinnertime the wrist and lateral hand aches badly.
BUT! Today was my first post op appointment. Off with the immobilizer and tons of surgical dressings! Out with the sutures! And then... I actually washed my right hand in cool water :SUNsmile: and was offered my choice of colors for the cast.
The cast will come off in four weeks and then I can start PT - there is one PT here in Ukiah that my surgeon in Santa Rosa refers to.
Stu and I celebrated by stopping in the tiny town of Geyserville to bring home excellent pizzas for dinner.
Photos: the undresed wrist and back of the hand, the fiberglass cast.
[Bonesmart.org] R Pinkie Extensor Rupture
[Bonesmart.org] R Pinkie Extensor Rupture
[Bonesmart.org] R Pinkie Extensor Rupture [Bonesmart.org] R Pinkie Extensor Rupture
 
You chose my favorite color….hot pink! Have loved that color since the ‘60’s. The photo of your incision is something else! I’m glad it doesn’t hurt you much at least part of the time and hope the next weeks go well. Thanks so much for the excellent documentation of the surgery and healing process so far.
 
Wow, that is some big incision, @mendogal! I had no idea what was required for this procedure.

Glad you are pain free.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom