Wrist R Pinkie Extensor Rupture

@mendogal Pretty in pink! Lol. Wow. VERY impressive incision. I know when they took off my splint/dressings, my reaction was, "Oh, that's why it hurts the way it does." For you, I would just say "wowzers!" It does take a while for that pain/soreness to completely go away. I hope the cast helps with that some.

Thanks for the pictures and updates. I didn't post any pictures even though I took plenty. Now, you've set the bar. I'll be having my picture posting skills all brushed up on for the next round! :heehee:
May the next few weeks fly by and be more comfortable. I'm glad things are going so well.
 
Thank you @Hip4life !

Yes, there was bone work done to the distal ulna and radius to remove the "blade" and then the dissection to access the two extensor tendons. The incision itself looks really weird because there's so much loose skin on the back of the hand!

The cast is a much more secure immobilizer for sure. I finally took a solo walk today to meet a friend for lunch.

Yes, we certainly DO want your pix!!!!
 
@mendogal Just checking in to see how you're doing and hoping you're enjoying your weekend.
 
Hi Pat! Was going to update this coming Monday (4 weeks post op and 2 weeks til the cast comes off.

I think things are going well.

I take a super low dose of codeine after dinner now and then - by the end of the day it alternates between wrist/tendon ache, general cast discomfort, and my chronically subluxed thumb's pronounced, at times LOUD, displeasure with the cast (put plainly, yep, base of my thumb hurts!) and sometimes the plain acetaminophen needs a little assist.

I also keep wondering who IS this woman I keep seeing in the mirror wearing a dress?!?! And why can't she do more for herself?!

But my fingers slowly gently flex and wiggle a bit, carefully, and I have no reason to think there's a problem. I'm grateful for my left hand doing the best it can, for summer weather making barelegged dress wearing easy, and for my people: MDH really helping out unprompted, two friends showing up to do some yardwork, others picking me up for outings, and my besties down in San Francisco showing up.
 
@mendogal Oh, I'm so glad you're being well taken care of, Janet. It makes a big difference, I think, in how you perceive your recovery. You know, I think that "ache" that creeps in is one of the most uncomfortable of sensations. I think taking a stronger pain med on certain occasions is way okay. It gets you through and that much closer to not needing it at all. Mine is usually a slow road there, as well. I'm hoping the next couple of weeks goes by quickly for you. Then it will be, "The cast is gone, why won't my hand and fingers change positions?" Lol.

Gee, you might need to get that thumb fixed. As I would say in my house, "I know a guy!" :heehee:
Hang in.
 
Weird physiological factoid time!

I went for a mani-pedi two days preop (no finger polish of course).

My non-surgical hand fingernails are horrid and need another manicure.

My surgical hand fingernails are growing so slowly they are fine.
 
Another example of how fascinating our bodies are!
 
Seven days until my cast comes off!

The past couple of days I'm getting some minor zingers and other sensory funny stuff along the back of the hand incision area.

The fingers swell with our 95 - 105 max temperatures, but circulation and sensation is fine and I do lots of gentle movements within a narrow range.

Glad I'm not sweating or itching under the cast! Wish I could ice through it though :shrug:
 
I know this must seem like a long wait. It will be over soon….hang in there. It’s promising to feel those zingers. Come on nerves!
 
Sorry @mendogal I didn't realise you were a patient on the forum! Belated healing wishes x

Can you ice around it? Protect the cast from moisture and wrap the ice all around. That's what Mr Google said (must be true! :heehee: ) Assuming there is no medical guidance to say otherwise, that's what I'd try. When I was in hospital the lady in the opposite bed was having a tough time with some post surgery bleeding (knee replacement). When preparing her to go home I heard them advising her to put her ice contraption in the fridge rather than the freezer (basic water model). They said cold was very therapeutic... I'm afraid my bionic ears failed half way through the conversation. So only half the story.

Maybe even get creative with a hairdryer set on cool to catch the low ice temp and position it down the cast.
 
At this point icing isn't needed.
I wasn't interested in testing jerry rigged ways especially one handed. Thank you.
 
That's understandable, I imagine it's enough of a faff just getting every day stuff done. Not long now until it's off, hope it behaves for you.
 
Six weeks post op and the cast came OFF today.

Surgeon figures I can use a kitchen knife as soon as my fingers can close to grasp, in a couple of weeks maybe. Another few weeks before they can handle pruning sheers.
And at least a couple of months more, or longer, before I can resume upper body strength training on the machines.
Exercising the good old patience muscle.

[Bonesmart.org] R Pinkie Extensor Rupture
 
Sleepless not in Seattle here... How wonderful :flwrysmile:
 
It looks really good, @mendogal. You can do patience. For a while you’ll be basking in the nakedness of your arm and the wonder of fingers working again. Bravo!!! I hope your pain levels have stayed reasonable up to this point and that any discomfort is lessening.
 
One step at a time.
It has to feel nice to lose the cast. Yay for progress! :happydance:
@mendogal
 
Thank you all!!! Yes it's weirdly vulnerable without the cast but still what a wonderful relief!
 
First PT session!
Mary, after years doing general PT, got hand certified 12 years ago. Our slow and steady, discomfort-not-pain philosophy is aligned.

For anyone having this kind of surgery: Apparently at 6 weeks postop my abilities are as expected:

In addition to not being able to flex the fingers enough to grasp objects or make even a loose fist, the fingers don't fully straighten. The wrist has limited up and down range of motion. I can sort of turn the hand palm down but can't come close to turning it palm up.

The most I can do functionally with the hand itself is use my flexed fingers to "catch" fabric in place while dressing or undressing in order for my other hand to do the work.


In addition to very gentle active ROM in several directions, she wants me to do some scar mobilization massage as she found a couple of points where the skin is sticking a bit to the under layer.

She also had some good suggestions for my poor thumb, which has had a bad arthritis flare from the four weeks in the cast.

It will indeed be a slow rehab, no surprise there, and as we well know, no shortcuts.
 
Sounds like you have a great therapist working with you! Please keep sharing updates.
 
Back
Top Bottom