Guest viewing is limited

TKR Questions

Quick note... I opted to put a call in to the 3rd doctor I linked. The scheduler said he's booked out until September BUT she sent him a message (while I was still on the phone with her) to try to get him to consent to getting me in a whole lot sooner so that I don't have to suffer through the summer in pain :O Fingers crossed!
 
Hard question - when I looked at that my doctor is in the medium area with nowhere near as many surgeries recorded as the one you liked however. But his practice is head of orthopedic surgery in a big trauma center, so mix of patients is different. He gets referred patients other people don't want to deal with (like me). Since this is based on Medicare patients only it may be skewed a little but at least you don't want a very high number! Seems to me the difference between 2% and 3% complications is not a lot, still pretty low and may also depend on your situation, the hospital and nursing care as well as patient mix. Without meeting and dealing with the doctors, it's hard to know how well you'll get on with them but at least you can eliminate the ones with bad statistics!

Good luck and I hope you find someone who can help you more!





Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Appointment with ortho surgeon in Grand Junction set for June 21st. I went with the 3rd one I had linked, following my gut instead of what friends tell me since that's what landed me with my current ortho in the first place.

Scheduler lady was AWESOME and helped get me squeezed into his schedule sooner than September, which is when he's technically booked out till. Yay for awesome scheduler lady!
 
I'm happy you were able to get in to see him sooner. I experienced the same thing when I needed my new OS. It turns out there was a good reason he was so booked. He's an excellent surgeon and really takes the time to answer your questions. He immediately put me at ease.

BTW the practice that OS belongs to is similar to the breakdown to how my OS has. That way they become specialist in surgery in one or two areas of the body and have seen a multitude of problems and know how to fix them. I hope this gentleman is the 'one'.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So I have had this knee high compression stocking on my left leg all day and, I kid you not, my leg has felt so much better than it has in 5 terrible months. I mean, there is still SOME pain and the nerve issue with my foot hasn't stopped, but I'm actually walking better. Even my son and ex-husband noticed. Here's to hoping this keeps up between now and when I go see the new ortho on June 21st.
 
Happy to read you are finding some relief with a compression stocking, getting the swelling down sure helps.
Fingers crossed you continue to find relief :fingersx: , until you see the new surgeon.
 
About the compression stocking... I just happened to have this pair from several years ago when I had the surgery on my HAND! I did notice while I was going to PT that everyone else that came in for their appointments were all wearing them. I found myself actually surprised that I hadn't been put in them at all. So glad I kept these! I also have a pair that go all the way up to my hip but those are uncomfortable. Is it normal for compression stockings to NOT be put on surgery patients?
 
AprilM,
The compression stockings are not necessary after TKR, some surgeons use them some don't. I am just glad they are helping you, sorry you did not find them earlier.
Compression stocking may reduce the risk of a blood clot, the literature is inconclusive.
Hopefully with the swelling down your knee can start to heal.
 
Just wanted to drop by and say I have my appointment with the new ortho in 3 days.
 
First of all... I sat in the waiting room for TWO HOURS waiting. My appointment was scheduled for 4:00. I didn't get called back until 6:00. X-rays were done and those went quick. Sat in the room waiting for the doctor for another 30 minutes. My time with him was roughly 20ish minutes. I didn't get home until 9:00 (the drive is an hour one way!).

Tomorrow or the next day, I have to go over to the hospital to have blood drawn because new ortho wants to rule out underlying infection that would explain the heat from the knee and the redness that keeps coming and going on the foot.

Also, he went over the x-rays they took today with me really well. The replacement knee IS bigger than it needed to be but he said he's not overly worried about that at this time.
 
@AprilM - I'm so sorry for your troubles. I don't have any advice, but wanted to wish you well with your new OS. I hope he can help you get back on your feet and bike.

I've been to Montrose. We were in Ouray last summer and drove through Montose (found some yummy bagels and coffee and a car wash) and Grand Junction. I *love* Colorado and am looking forward to going back. It's so beautiful.
 
Bless Your Heart- I just read through your journey and am hoping for much better days ahead for you~!
 
That was a long trip to see the OS with all the waiting time you endured. Hopefully your blood tests come out ok and this OS can help you.
 
I am supposed to find out Tuesday what the results of the blood tests are. There is a part of me that is hoping that it is an infection and that meds to clear it up will help. I'm trying to stay hopeful but dang it's getting harder and harder to.
 
The ortho I saw last week just called. He said the blood tests came back normal and that there is no sign of infection from those. He was also finally able to get the MRI stuff from the doctors out here from a month or so ago and is going to be having THEIR back guy look at them for second opinion. Then depending on what their back guy says, I'll be sent for a CT scan and we go from there.
 
Hi April, just caught up on your thread. Sorry you've been having a tough time for awhile. Good news that there is no infection in there. We had surgery on the same day. I've been doing pretty good for the most part. Recently (last couple of days) my back, hip and upper thigh have been giving me a bit of trouble. Not sure if I was walking wrong, not remembering the heel- toe gait or what. Trying to concentrate on how I'm walking at this age is just weird!!! Sometimes these things just clear up on a few days, hoping that's what happens with this.

Hope you get some answers soon on what's causing your pain. After awhile it's hard to keep your chin up and be patient, isn't it? Thank goodness we all have each other to talk to on bonesmart. People who haven't gone through this don't have a clue !
 
I'm happy that you don't have an infection. Hang in there. It is difficult to keep searching but it will be worth it.:friends:
 
Good news that there's not an infection. :thumb:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom