TKR Questions

As of the 7rd of this month, I am 9 months post-op from having had my left knee totally replaced. The temperatures are starting to drop. I usually use an electric blanket to help me not feel like I'm freezing cause wow I get cold quickly and struggle to warm back up without it. I haven't started using it yet because I need to know that it's going to be okay to use it.

Thanks in advance.
 
Hi, @AprilM ..... you'll notice that I merged your two recovery threads as indicated by forum protocol----it is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to quickly see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery---just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between multiple ones. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

Of course it's just fine to use an electric blanket. Make sure you are warm and toasty and comfortable as you finish this healing process. And....let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.
 
My apologies. I couldn't find it for some reason, which was why I had started the new one.

Thank you for answering my question though! Time to bring out the electric blanket from the closet :D
 
After being almost a year post-op from my knee replacement surgery, I might finally have answers as to this problem with being unable to feel my left foot and, much to my surprise, it might not be a nerve issue at all!

I have a physical therapist and a physical therapist in training working with me for the pool therapy. Today the PTiT had me do this stretch thing where I straightened my leg behind me. The moment I did it, I lost ALL feeling in my foot, from one side to the other, completely. She had me bring my left back froward and bring my knee up toward my chest. The closer my knee got to my chest, the more I could FEEL MY FOOT!

The PT and PTiT both think it's a vascular issue and not a nerve issue. Which would also explain why the foot is always cold no matter the temperature in the house. So... they're having me do some pretty specific exercises to try to see what we can do.
 
It would also explain why my left foot is always so terribly cold while the rest of me is not.
 
You might want to see your primary care doctor who can order some tests and be able to offer some help.
 
Yep, I plan to. He's closed this week, so I'll be calling first thing Monday morning. Fingers crossed!
 
I can understand that the leg always feeling cold could be a problem with circulation, but it could also be a nerve problem, particularly as you also have loss of sensation.
Do let us know what your doctor says.
 
First I'd like to say I am now 1 year 2 days post-op!!

Now...

I have news!

My appointment with the ortho surgeon that did my knee replacement had x-rays done so that we could look at them when he came in to see me. The knee looks great. Like seriously, it looks great.

We talked about how I still have no feeling in my foot, so he did a few in office physical tests and he's pretty sure he located WHERE the problem is. There is a back specialist that goes to Dr. Huene's office once a month from Grand Junction that he's having his nurse set up an appointment for me to see. Finally I am being heard in regards to the nerve problem! Yay!

He did give me a high five when he had me bend my left knee as much as I could. 115 degrees! Yay! Told him I have been doing my own physical therapy and he's pleased with it.

And then he talked to me about my right knee. I told him surgery is not even a consideration at this point because of the problems with my left side. He agreed. So he mentioned that the rooster comb injections were no longer a series of 5 injections, that the makers figured out how to do it all in 1 injection. Before he could even finish his sentence, I was saying yes please.

The needle was longer and thicker than the needle used in the previous injections I had gotten so I've got that pain going on. He also prescribed me a different anti-inflammatory that ex-husband will pick up either on his meal break or first thing tomorrow morning. Dr. Huene said it's better than Naproxin and will hopefully give me at least some relief from the nerve pain.

The best part of the news... He doesn't need to see me again for 2 years! Even that is purely just to check on the replacement joint itself. So all in all, not too bad of an appointment. Just sucks that the injection site on my right knee hurts like all get out but it'll eventually pass.
 
Did your doc tell you to ice the knee after the injection? That can help.
 
Did your doc tell you to ice the knee after the injection? That can help.
I always ice after injections. Prior to the left knee being replaced, I had gotten the injections in both knees when they were still once a week for 5 weeks. :) I just bruise easily.
 
It's been several months since I shared any sort of update. Well, I have a HUGE update today!

I have still been having the nerve pain and no feeling in my left foot ever since the TKR-Left on December 7, 2015. The ortho surgeon that did the surgery insisted that it was a pinched nerve in my back. Okay, whatever. I knew it wasn't but was tired of arguing. He sent me a back specialist. The back specialist, during my first appointment, said he really did not think it was in my back at all but wanted me to see the neurologist that works at his office in Grand Junction. So I had back-to-back appointments this morning. First appointment was with the neurologist and the second appointment was with the back specialist.

The neurologist was amazing. Aside from being turned into a human pin cushion from my toes (literally!) to my lower back, he was awesome. He alone gave me a renewed hope that I WILL be okay! He assured me that the nerve issue is NOT in my back and that it is, in fact, the nerve that goes around the front of the knee. I hugged him. Seriously. A complete stranger that I only just met today. I HUGGED him. I also cried.

From his room, I was taken down the hall to see the back specialist. He also assured me that the nerve issue is NOT in my back and that it is the nerve that goes around the front of the knee. He said that it IS healing, though! He prescribed me a medication that helps with nerve healing and reduces pain during the process. I'll be able to say what exactly the name of it is as soon as the pharmacy calls me for medication pickup. He said that taking this medication as instructed, it will HELP with the healing process for the over-stretched nerve.

Oh yeah! The nerve... The problem is that it was over-stretched at the time of the knee replacement surgery and has absolutely NOTHING to do with my back. Yes, I know I have mentioned the back thing three times now but I can't help it. I am really stoked to know it is NOT in my back and that I am not crazy (in regards to the nerve issue being around the knee, anyway haha). He said with the help of the medication, I will have MUCH improvement within 6 months! SIX MONTHS!!

I am so relieved that I can't even... I have cried a LOT off and on all morning, but they have been happy tears.
 
Very happy to hear you have answers and can look forward to feeling better soon!
 
Wonderful! I hope the nerve is back to normal soon. I remember when I saw my OS that did my revision. Y original OS told me there was nothing wrong. The revision OS saw my problem and I had the same reaction as you did. I cried when I had only just met this doctor. I'm really glad you continued to peruse this to finally get the correct help.
 
I'm so glad you have a brighter outlook after today. Nerves are really slow growing, so it's good you are able to be patient. I've got my fingers crossed that you get relief from this problem!
 
I WENT HIKING YESTERDAY!!!!

Apologies for the caps but I am super stoked. I'm sore as can be today, but I went hiking yesterday for the first time since before my surgery!! My son (17 y/o) and I took our 3 dogs hiking yesterday, at my request because I was feeling pretty darn good yesterday. We hiked for a total of 1 1/2 hours: 45 minutes out on the trail and 45 minutes to get back to the car. My son kept reminding me to not push myself too hard or I'd be feeling it for days afterward. I am a little sore today, but mostly in my hips and back since I am terribly out of shape at this point. But my gosh, it felt GREAT to get out there, breathing the clean air and watching our dogs exploring our surroundings.
 
So happy that you are teclaiming your life! I bet the dogs loved being out with you too! Hope today isn't too sore for you! I'm getting into making my muscles ache these days it is a great time in recovery to know things are going to get back to normal!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom