Guest viewing is limited

TKR Questions

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This morning while doing my gentle heel slides, my knee bent more than 90 degrees!! I'm not sure just how much more but it was definitely more than 90 degrees!!

And now I'm icing the knee <3

I'm seriously happy this morning.
 
I can't get over how much better I feel, overall, since quitting physical therapy. This is week 2 of not going to physical therapy. I have a whole lot LESS swelling around my knee, movement feels easier though not without *some* pain, I do feel like I'm making progress (little progress is better than no progress!) and, overall, have been having less pain in general. I am still having some problems getting comfortable through the night and do still wake several times in the night, but I'm at least getting more sleep than I had been prior because of pain and discomfort.
 
And to make today even more better...

My leg elevator pillow came today!! It's the one I linked a few posts back. I *love* it!
 
Hi AprilM, So glad you're doing so well. That leg elevator pillow looks great. Easier I'm sure thendragging pillows all over the place !
 
As of this morning, I can *almost* do a single leg lift. Still can't quite get it to happen, but I can actually feel the muscles trying to work together, which is a huge improvement from the last two months. Previously, I could not feel the lower leg muscles even trying to work.

Still just doing gentle heel slides, walking around the house, elevating my leg and icing my knee. The attempt at doing a leg lift this morning was a random moment thing. I wanted to give it a try mostly to see what would happen.

Still have a lot of numbness and tingling in my left foot. Wish that would improve already. It's annoying, frustrating and makes it difficult to walk sometimes.

Yesterday morning and this morning, there was quite a bit of pain in my entire left leg when I woke up. It lessened after getting up to walk for a few minutes and do my heel slides. It went away completely when I elevated my leg, iced my knee and took my pain pill. I'm still waking several times through the night trying to get into a comfortable position. Not sure what more I can do to fix that though.
 
You seem to be doing better! Hopefully your sleep overnight settles down. It takes a while for most of us.
 
I haven't posted in a few days and thought I'd give a quick update. I'm copy/pasting from my facebook wall post...

After having done my afternoon heel slides, I elevate my leg with my knee wrapped in ice. Today Tiffin decided to lay across my leg at the hip which puts quite a bit of pressure on pressure points.

Get this...

I CAN FEEL MY LEFT FOOT!

I have not had feeling in my left foot since the surgery, Dec 7th. There IS something pinching somewhere in my hip/pelvic region. Why the hell will the doctors not listen to me?! It's not in my back. The MRI proved that. I didn't think it was in my back anyway. It's not in my leg anywhere below the knee. It has to be in the hip/pelvic region!

I see the ortho on the 23rd and you can bet your butt that I will again be bringing this up with him. Dammit he needs to listen to me! I KNOW my really body!
 
I'm so sorry your doctor is not listening to you. I went through several months with my original OS and his nurse before I went to a new OS who listened, took Xrays and did a thorough exam on my knee. In my case unfortunately my original surgeon did a poor job and now I'm just planning my revision for my knee. I would suggest that if your doctor does not listen to you that you try to find one who does.
 
The problem with me just going out and finding a new OS is location. The OS here in the town where I live is a jerk, telling me to return to him in 20+ years and then he'd do it. This OS is half an hour away and is the only one that I've talked to over the years that would do it. The next nearest is a little over an hour away. I can barely tolerate sitting in the car for the half an hour it takes me to get from here to my current OS. No way can I sit in a vehicle for a little over an hour... one way.

The other problem is my insurance. I have Medicaid and Medicare. There are a lot of doctors out here, including specialists, that won't even talk to someone who has Medicaid and/or Medicare.
 
I do understand your problem. It is very difficult. My new OS is an hour away from me. I sometimes found sitting in the back seat with my leg up to be helpful and I also had ice with me for the trip.

I have Medicare which fortunately my new OS takes. I have a friend with Medicaid and she always has great difficulty in finding a doctor that will see her that take that insurance. It really is very unfair.
 
Problem with sitting in the backseat is it's too far from the steering wheel ;) I have to be able to drive myself to wherever I go because there are few people who I don't get car sick with and trying to get my schedule worked around their schedule is more of a pain than just driving myself to my appointments.

It took me nearly 2 years to find a primary care physician that had an opening for a Medicare/Medicaid patient. It really is unfair. We get faulted if we *don't* have insurance and we get faulted if we have government assisted insurance.
 
Do you have chiropractic coverage April? I've found chiropractic a wonder cure over the years and this sounds like just the sort of thing that a good chiro can help with.
 
Sadly I do not. I miss being able to go to a chiropractor. Haven't been able to go since my divorce and lost my ex-husband's insurance coverage. Now it's out of pocket if I want to go and there's just no way I can even remotely afford out of pocket.
 
So sorry you are having that much problem. I myself, can't even begin to imagine Not taking pain meds especially 30 mins before therapy. I also Ice 3 to 4 times a day for close to an hour. I have the cloth covered gel packs Ice packs and several of them. Seems like night is the most uncomfortable time for me also. I;m stiff in the morning but it doesn't take much to get them both going. Pain is worse for me at night also, or just cant get comfortable. I ordered me the foam wedge for elevation. I had bilateral on Dec 8th. I can't believe that your PT would make you feel so bad. that is terrible and unacceptable. Everyone heals different but...don't let them hurt you. Can be uncomfortable but not to the point of painful. I get very sore and can tell when I did too much. Normally later that night. I pray for you to find out what is going on and for comfort
 
Was able to get a decent night of sleep last night. I slept on my back only and it made quite a bit of difference. Although sleeping on my back is not comfortable for me overall, it seems to be the only position I actually can sleep in without causing my knee pain and discomfort.

I can't believe that your PT would make you feel so bad. that is terrible and unacceptable. Everyone heals different but...don't let them hurt you.
They can't hurt me anymore because I stopped going. I'm doing it on my own with help and guidance from the amazing people on this board :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom