Guest viewing is limited

TKR Questions

I'm 40 years old and rely pretty heavily on my mommy <3

There's nothing wrong with that. It's great that you have a mom that can help you out when you need it most.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 40 years old and rely pretty heavily on my mommy
That's OK. On this recovery journey, take help wherever you find it.
It's good to appreciate your mother.
 
It's a great idea to bring someone with you to help speak up for you. I agree that this PT basically assaulting you is unacceptable. With your past history no wonder you're having nightmares.

Not to mention that as you've learned, aggressive PT sets you back. Keep up the slow and steady approach--you're on the right track!
 
I took a family member or friend to all my appointments in th beginning. Two sets of ears are always better than one and having an advocate is invaluable.
 
Had my neuro appointment this morning. Neuro doc is stumped as to why my foot is numb and tingling. He ran a few nerve tests, including jabbing me twice with a needle :O He said he'll have the results sometime next week and will passing them on to my PCP, the ortho surgeon and the physical therapist. Oh and my left ankle is pretty swollen. Don't have a clue what happened with it but there's a pretty significant bulge out to the left side of it.

Today I woke up with my knee hurting and feeling a bit stiffer than the previous couple of days. I think I slept wrong or something. Since my body hates sleeping on my back, I wouldn't doubt it if I tried to roll over in various directions through the night.
 
,April, you don't have to sleep on your back! Go ahead and roll from side to side. I was able to get comfortable on my side via strategic use of pillows. Early on I would begin the night iced and elevated, then eventually kick away the wedge and roll onto my side for better sleep. Here is a good way to keep ice on your knee regardless of position. The ice pack fits inside and the velcro wrap holds everything in place. You can pump up the cuff for a bit of compression, feels good:

[Bonesmart.org] Questions



Since you still have ankle swelling, keep doing ankle pumps. This simple exercise aids circulation and helps shunt fluid away from the lower legs.
 
That's a pretty cool looking thing. Where would I be able to get one with the least amount of cost?

I've been trying to get comfortable on my sides with the use of my body pillow and other pillows, but the tingling in my foot gets to being so much that it hurts. It's rather frustrating. I'm hoping the neurologist is able to figure out what is going on so that we can begin working on making that better too.

Honestly, if I were asked if I could go back in time and do this all over again would I do it... I think I would end up saying I don't think so.
 
Honestly, if I were asked if I could go back in time and do this all over again would I do it... I think I would end up saying I don't think so.

Hopefully 6 months from now when you are hiking with your son you will look back on this time as just another bump in the road. Hang in there.
 
Yesterday I did side stepping in my kitchen
Honestly, I do not recommend this. It will irritate your IT band and cause pain.
It does seem that the harder my physical therapist made me push (or pull technically), the more backwards I felt like I was going.
Exactly!
it's been decided that I will go to my physical therapy appointment on Monday, but I will be canceling the rest of the appointments for next week as well as changing how many appointments I have through the rest of February.
I strongly suggest you cancel them all. You don't need any of it - you know that. You've already said as much in previous posts. Don't be fearful. Both Celle and I are living proof that these surgeries get a good outcome without all that.
 
Hopefully 6 months from now when you are hiking with your son you will look back on this time as just another bump in the road. Hang in there.
I sure hope that ends up being the case. I've been so frustrated that it's a little hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Honestly, I do not recommend this. It will irritate your IT band and cause pain.
Really?? Okay then! *tosses that exercise away* So just the heel slides then?

I strongly suggest you cancel them all. You don't need any of it - you know that. You've already said as much in previous posts. Don't be fearful. Both Celle and I are living proof that these surgeries get a good outcome without all that.
My only concern with canceling all of them is that if I do eventually decide to go through with having the right knee done (cause it does need done even if I'm currently saying "nope, not gonna happen"), the ortho won't do it because I refused physical therapy. Can he legally do that?
 
AprilM,
Assuming you have a great outcome, the OS is not going to remember what you did or did not do. He will only know that you did well, and it is OK to proceed.
Hope the neurologist has some answers. I have nerve damage from my TKR and revision, it just feels funny. It did get better with time.
 
Really?? Okay then! *tosses that exercise away* So just the heel slides then?
LOL! Heel slides as per this instruction Heel slides and how to do them. However, I didn't even do them! Not a single one for either knee!
My only concern with canceling all of them is that if I do eventually decide to go through with having the right knee done, the ortho won't do it because I refused physical therapy. Can he legally do that?
I agree with Punpkln. He's unlikely to remember and he won't remember especially if you don't tell him! There's no law against that !
 
Probably the least expensive way to secure an ice pack is with an ace bandage wrap. I've done that, too. Just make sure ice is not directly on your skin.
 
Ok, I'll jump in with my non-bending story that shows the ROM is there all along...after my infection surgery the OS put me in an imbolizer and said no bending for 2 weeks. Two weeks turned into just over a month. My OS kept reassuring me the knee will bend when we tell it to bend. A month of elevating, icing and walking around the house and to appointments, when he says I can begin to bend it does feel very tight and stiff, (went back on pain meds at that point) but it bends. He ordered non-aggressive bending and within a month I was riding a recumbent bike and a few weeks after that I was back to work teaching first grade half days. Gentle is all you need and if it hurts don't do it.
 
My PT gave me the side step exercise--I think for weak muscles (hip abductors or something) but not to do to the point of pain. And these various exercises were added gradually, not all at once.

I know I had so many years of walking weird to compensate for the bad knees that my muscles were out of whack. I think I started with a couple of times back and forth a day.

Let your body be your guide. If it aggravates things to do an exercise, reduce or stop doing them. My PT said in general with exercises, if it's still hurting after an hour or two you know you did too much and to scale back.
 
Have you tried sleeping off your back yet?
I'm a tummy sleeper and it took me less than a week to work out I could still do that!
My mum died almost 10 years ago, I miss her every day. I've especially missed her in the last 9 weeks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
AprilM,
Assuming you have a great outcome, the OS is not going to remember what you did or did not do. He will only know that you did well, and it is OK to proceed.
Thank you for this. I really hope this ends up being the case :)

LOL! Heel slides as per this instruction Heel slides and how to do them. However, I didn't even do them! Not a single one for either knee!
This is how I've been doing them. PT wanted me doing them using a strap on my foot and pulling, but I refuse to do that at home. I'd rather use my leg muscles to assist with this than pull with a strap. It hurts less letting my leg muscles do it.

Probably the least expensive way to secure an ice pack is with an ace bandage wrap. I've done that, too. Just make sure ice is not directly on your skin.
My ex-husband surprised me this morning with two ice packs that have sleeves with straps :D He was not pleased with the homemade packs because one of them leaked all over my bed yesterday afternoon. It seriously looked like my puppy peed in the middle of my bed but rubbing alcohol LOL

Ok, I'll jump in with my non-bending story that shows the ROM is there all along...after my infection surgery the OS put me in an imbolizer and said no bending for 2 weeks. Two weeks turned into just over a month. My OS kept reassuring me the knee will bend when we tell it to bend. A month of elevating, icing and walking around the house and to appointments, when he says I can begin to bend it does feel very tight and stiff, (went back on pain meds at that point) but it bends. He ordered non-aggressive bending and within a month I was riding a recumbent bike and a few weeks after that I was back to work teaching first grade half days. Gentle is all you need and if it hurts don't do it.
Thank you! Along with everything everyone else has said, this gives me much hope!

My PT gave me the side step exercise--I think for weak muscles (hip abductors or something) but not to do to the point of pain. And these various exercises were added gradually, not all at once.
I'm not certain but I think this is why my PT had me doing side stepping. I do have muscle weakness in my hip and upper thigh. I try and try to do even a single leg lift, only to have nothing happen.

Let your body be your guide. If it aggravates things to do an exercise, reduce or stop doing them. My PT said in general with exercises, if it's still hurting after an hour or two you know you did too much and to scale back.
I need your PT instead of the one I've got LOL

Have you tried sleeping off your back yet?
I'm a tummy sleeper and it took me less than a week to work out I could still do that!
My mum died almost 10 years ago, I miss her every day. I've especially missed her in the last 9 weeks!
I was finally, FINALLY, able to sleep on my right side last night. It was a matter of getting enough between my bed and the inside of my right leg. Sleeping on my left side still hurts my knee. Sleeping on my tummy isn't yet an option cause holy **** does that hurt. I'm not fond of sleeping on my right side (my body is weird) but at least I was able to finally not sleep on my back.
 
Question for you lovely folks...

My calf muscle on my left leg is super tight today and hurts. Is it okay to put my heating pad under it and turn it on low? If so, how long can I leave it on?

Asking because I'm hesitant and unsure. When I was having this issue in the ARU, everyone was adamant about "no heat!" on my left leg, saying it would interfere with my knee healing.

Also, I'm super stoked because I now have this coming which I think is going to be so much easier for me than the way I'm currently elevating my leg! I'm currently using my body pillow folded in half with my second body pillow on top of that, staggered, but it's such a pain to setup lol
 
I have that calf problem sometimes too. I found that massaging it and also stretching it out helped me. I put the problem leg behind the other,lean against a dresser wih my hands and slowly lean forward. Hope that made sense !! I was told it's from the new way I'm walking. I like that wedge your getting for elevation. Setting up the pillows and all the other stuff may need- house phone, cellphone, t v remote, glasses is a pain. Then when I finally get settled, I need to go to the bathroom !!! Hope you sleep well tonight.
 
You will like your new leg elevator. Before my surgery I purchased one made for just one leg and it has been great. I used it day and night for the first two weeks after my surgery. I still use it almost every day for an hour or two.

Normally using heat on muscles is ok during your recovery as long as you keep it away from your knee. You could try some gentle calf stretches and massage like Karol said.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom