TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

Oh thank the Lord! I can walk reasonably well, but turn even slightly and ugh……I find doing my exercises when this happens is sore….and why does the pain travel up to butt. ‍
 
Sorry you are having such a tough time. Just want to send you a hug for comfort and healing. Please try not to let other's words get you down.
 
Thank you so much! I really need hugs, healing and prayers please! This has been such a tough recovery for me…..I just was hoping I would be better at this stage…..I’ve had family members having bad health issues so this week has been especially hard…..
 
Question to all…..why am I anxious that I am afraid I’ll do something that will ruin my knee? I know that sounds crazy, but I’m so afraid I’ll get back to bad pain, anyone else had the feeling that if you try to get on with life I’m going to have a problem?
 
I had IT band tightness and inflammation after my first TKR, it was very painful. Bone doc said he could cut it for me! That was a big nope from me! It did go away eventually!!
 
Mickimouse your anxiety sounds pretty normal to me!
The main thing is you’re talking about it.
If you think about it, you had horrible pain probably for some time before your TKR decision then horrible pain after the surgery ( although hopefully reasonably well controlled) then everyone constantly telling you what you should be doing better!
It’s no wonder your anxiety is high!!
Just keep posting on here and just know you aren’t alone and what you’re feeling is perfectly normal. IT WILL GET BETTER!!!!!!!
 
Thank you for the inspiration! I sure want to start feeling normal! Just doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen….. but I need to listen to everyone’s post that it will get better!
 
I’m in pain again, just from moving wrong in bed……I’m so worried this is not going to go away…..the PA said to give it to 5 months, which will be November (next month), it just feels like this pain will not be going away. It just makes me so sad. If this pain would go away, I feel I am doing good……that I am getting there, but what if this pain won’t go away…..will the doctors be able to get fix it? I’m tired of worrying and crying. I think I’m doing good, then bam pain is back. I just needed to reach out cause no one really understands how defeating those is.
 
I just needed to reach out cause no one really understands how defeating those is.
I had a very slow, difficult first year and no one I saw in person understood, so I understand how you feel.
 
Can you tell me the area of your pain using this chart:

[Bonesmart.org] Questions 8 months from surgery
 
the PA said to give it to 5 months, which will be November (next month),
5 months from your surgery date is November 27, which is 7 weeks from now. A lot can happen in 7 weeks. Right now you are “only“ 3 and a half months post op. You have to give yourself more time.
 
Thank you Jockette for the information! As you can tell I am so impatient with this recovery. I am just so frustrated with the pain going up my thigh to butt……I can’t tell if it is coming from the tendons on side of knee or the bakers cyst that is on that side as well……I just want to heal so I feel good about my decision to have the knee replaced. At this time the other knee is going to wait!
 
I didn’t give you the answer to the graphic you sent me Jockette. The pain starts at RB1 D and travels up RB1 D, C, B, A and into my buttocks in one spot.
 
I didn’t give you the answer to the graphic you sent me Jockette. The pain starts at RB1 D and travels up RB1 D, C, B, A and into my buttocks in one spot.
Jockette here is the info from chart
 
It’s possible that it’s your IT band is upset. Here’s an article from the Bonesmart library:

Here’s a link to the whole list of articles in the Bonesmart Library
Lots of topics there!
 
I went to my chiropractor yesterday and he said my IT Band is definitely aggravated! He used a roller on the back, front and sides of leg, also on other leg with the Achilles’ tendon problem…….he said to continue doing the rolling thing in am and evening…..my Achilles’ tendon was feeling better ( with the exception at night in bed), but flared up again and I think it is from the heel drop off the step that aggravated it…. Today I start aquatic therapy, so we will see how that goes!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Mickimouse.....if you have an inflamed IT band you should not be doing aqua therapy right now. You will just further risk aggravating your angry soft tissues. You need to slow down your activity and exercise until you get that current inflammation under control. Aqua therapy is particularly dangerous because the water gives you support and people tend to overdo things without realizing it until pain comes later.

Please read this article to understand more about ITB issues:
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
 
Thanks Jamie for the advice! I did like the water therapy but let’s see in the next day or so if it does aggravate the knee and Achilles’ tendon…..I told her the problems I am having and she seemed to understand but let’s see…..I know as for my Achilles’ tendon the exercise's I was given in PT seemed to aggravate it more…..I am just so frustrated. I of course is the 1% that got a bakers cyst after tkr…..ugh
 
Are you using lots of ice each day on the areas that hurt? This may help if you ice every time you are not up walking about. Put your leg up too so that your toes are above your nose. If you can take Tylenol, try 1000mg every 6 hours on a schedule for a week and see if that helps.

I just reread your entire thread and it seems to me that you've never given your knee a chance to really get better. As soon as things start to improve, you try to resume normal activities or exercise and end up in pain again. When you have a good day, it's NOT a signal to up your activity. You need a week or more of "good days" before doing that. Try just rejoicing when you do have a good day but don't do more until you see some real progress (meaning a week or more). One day or even a couple of good days aren't really progress if you then do things that put you back in pain again. I'm not saying that you have to just sit and do nothing all the time. That, of course, would never be good for your knee. But, pick one thing to do each day....either a short errand, a single chore around the house, or some light exercises and let that be it for at least a couple of weeks. You need to be consistent with a lower level of activity over time or you're just going to keep repeating this cycle that's been going on since the beginning of your recovery.

I apologize if you feel my comments are rather blunt, but I am concerned that if you keep up this cycle of pain, you risk having the situation become chronic. Chronic pain is much more difficult to resolve than acute pain, so you want to try and avoid that situation.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom