TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

I agree with everything Jamie said. Don’t look at resting and taking things slow as doing nothing, or not enough, look at it as giving your knee the best opportunity in which to heal.

Try to ignore what your friends are telling you. Even if they have had a TKR it seems they are not allowing anyone’s individual recovery. And, they have not read the thousands (literally!) of posts from members than we have here at Bonesmart, and what we’ve seen here are many different timeframes for recovery that all fit the “normal” profile.
 
Thank you everyone……I guess by doing more than I should makes me feel normal, but if I hurt what do I gain…..
 
I guess by doing more than I should makes me feel normal, but if I hurt what do I gain…..

That's a wise thought. You may feel "normal" for the moment, but at what cost? You're fooling yourself to think you can bounce back quickly from this very major surgery just because you want to.

You cannot force your body to heal. It will do so on its own terms despite anything you do. Instead of thinking you need to be "normal," consider that you ARE normal for whatever stage of recovery you're in. Take time to actually listen to the signals your body is giving you as to what it needs to successfully heal. When you have pain and swelling, that's your body saying "I'm not quite ready for that yet. Time to scale it back and try again in another few days or so." This is a conversation between you and your knee (or any other parts that hurt). It shouldn't involve input from anyone else, as they are not you. Each person and their recovery is unique. Please try to give yourself permission to heal on your own terms instead of the expectations of others or even yourself, if you're trying to get back to your old lifestyle too soon.

Many patients have difficulty giving up "control" over their situation when they have joints replaced. But you must. You simply cannot control how fast you recover. Instead, your "control" lies in the strength you show to tell others you're healing on your own schedule and you're listening to your body's signals before attempting to increase your exercise, social activity, or anything else in your life that requires you to move, sit, or stand at a level that will result in pain later. Remember, all this is temporary and you will heal and get back to the life you want. How fast you are able to do that will depend on your strength to pay attention to your body signals and not continue to keep your knee and leg inflamed like it is now. That only delays your recovery even more.

You do have this strength. We're here to help and support you once you make the commitment to pay attention to what your body is telling you. Everyone here has been through at least some of what you're going through and we do understand. It's obvious that what you've been doing the past few months isn't working. Please consider trying our recommended approach for the next couple of months and I'm betting you'll start to see the improvements you're looking for. Hang in there! This is tough surgery and recovery for most people. You can do it!
 
Hi Mickiemouse,
I had a really angry IT band for a long time after surgery. All because I was impatient!
I went back to work 12 weeks post op and didn’t really take care of myself properly. I think a lot of that had to do with other people telling me how so and so were doing so much better than me. It made me really anxious.
My IT band took around 6 months to settle down but once it did I never looked back.
you’ll feel better soon. Listen to Jaime
 
I think a lot of that had to do with other people telling me how so and so were doing so much better than me. It made me really anxious.
I wish these other people could realize how much their comments can negatively affect us. I heard them too, and I felt like a failure. Thankfully I found Bonesmart and got lots of encouragement instead!
 
Hang in there Mickimouse! At 8 weeks, I am finding it difficult to hold back on wanting to be more active. I usually have one thing I do a day whether it is going to pt, going to a store, laundry, or washing dishes. The rest of the time I am in the recliner icing. My knee definitely gets swollen or hurts more if I do much. Then it takes 2-3 days to calm down. Like last week when I tried a 13 minute walk instead of 10. But next week is a new week so will try again. Please take care of yourself. We are here for you. Hugs
 
Thanks all! When will I stop obsessing about the knee? All I think about is this knee, will it get better, what if it doesn’t, should I go see the doctor, and on and on and on……geez I am 15 weeks out from surgery, I should feel I am on the mend and stop obsessing about it….abnormal?
 
My knee was foremost in my mind for about 6 months. Whatever I did I would consider how it would affect my healing knee. If I judged incorrectly and what I did upset my knee, then I'd not do it again for a week or two to give it time to recuperate from that incident and then try again later. If it didn't swell or hurt again like it did the first time, then I knew it was ready for that 'job'. As you heal more you will start to forget about that knee and concentrate on other things. Do you have any hobbies, anyone you can call and brighten up their day by listening to their troubles? Reaching out to help others is a great way to forget our troubles.

Life really is more than our knees, but during this recovery, they are on our minds most of the time. Try to get into a good book or movie. Take up a new hobby. Anything that can help you get your mind on other things will be a plus.
 
Very true! Once I was able to drive and get out of the house it made such a difference in my mood. I went to Costco and looked at all the Xmas decorations and started to think about the holidays. This year my house won't be fall cleaned but I'm looking forward to seeing my family. Even though inflation/recession is here, and a budget is a must it is something to look forward to. Most important something else to think about besides the knee.
 
@Mickimouse, I still think of my knees more than 1 year and 7 years out but they no longer dominate every decision. When I dance or do yoga or ride the bike, I still stop if I do something that hurts but I continue to do the parts that don't hurt. I went into the surgery in a good deal of pain and the recoveries, as you very well know, were difficult and normal. I still think about the things that can go wrong and am not sure that will change. There is a bit of mental trauma associated with the whole deal - knees gone bad, consistent pain and treatment, knees replaced, and knees recovered. With that all said, the knee was the boss during each recovery and both of mine are performing very well now.
 
Hi there,
It takes a year to be back to your normal self. I am at about 8 months and I socialize and am tired at end of the day. The tightness may be your quads, keep doing rehab for that. Also maybe your
rehab place can do a massage in that area or accupressure, both helped me.
Use the stationary bike too. I use a topical herbal
salve with cbd and it helps along with bio oil for the scar keep massaging the scar and it will heal.
This is a major surgery and it takes a while to heal. I was getting depressed too but I keep plugging along. I just took my first plane trip and it was sore but I got thru it. I also use a compression sleeve and that has really really helped. It’s a bamboo sleeve from one compression.com Give yourself some time and don’t overdo rehab as that doesn’t help. Best wishes
 
Having a bad day today…..back of knee really hurting, ugh…..all I did yesterday was go to a friends to watch a baseball playoff game….today wow……not doing anything today but ice and elevate……I want to be out of pain already! I had the surgery so I can walk…..i May have twisted wrong, maybe in bed? So will the knee ever stop hurting ugh
 
Having a bad day today…..back of knee really hurting, ugh…..all I did yesterday was go to a friends to watch a baseball playoff game….today wow……not doing anything today but ice and elevate……I want to be out of pain already! I had the surgery so I can walk…..i May have twisted wrong, maybe in bed? So will the knee ever stop hurting ugh
Hi! It Sure could be how you slept. Maybe try a pillow between your legs or under you. I sleep with about four pillows around my body since surgery. Maybe you were sitting too low to the ground at the game? I’m 6 weeks post op and sitting for periods of time really bother me and make me feel like I need to recover afterwards. Try heating the back of your knee a little bit too. I find heat helps so much. I hope tomorrow is better. Take care. :)
 
Thank you! I just get so aggravated that I think I am improving then something like this happens…..and thinking will this ever get better? It makes me so sad.
 
Hi @Mickimouse We aren't kidding when we say that this recovery is a roller coaster! We even have an illustration in the library of how recovery from a joint replacement usually goes:

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641



We are here for support whenever it's needed.
 
Will it get better? I am so distressed…. I am almost a complete 4 months…..can’t believe how I am recovering…..I can’t seem to open the roller coaster gif but will try and open it on google
 
Hi, I also started to get different types of pain after my RTKR. Very swelled on side of knee, back of knee pain, and ankle pain. I went to the foot doctor and had xrays and I have achilles tendinitis. I decided to try Lymphatic massage. I found a woman that specializes in this. Days after the massage I felt a difference in the swelling of my knee, My walking got better, and I felt better. I still have the back knee pain, especially moving around at night. Which I hope will go away in time. I made another appt. for 2 weeks, which I went to yesterday. For me, at the moment I think it is helping me. It is very gentle massage. Maybe worth a try for you. Hope things will get better for you. Best of Luck on your Journey
 
I will look up to see is I can find someone who does that type of message! Thank you!
 
Question, again I am almost 4 months from surgery and I still get tired, easily, does that sound normal? I just don’t feel strong…..I tire easily…..
 
Back
Top Bottom