TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

Yes!!! It’s supposed to get very cold in Cincinnati too. I decided to order hot hands warmers to put between the layers of my pants on my knee. Will try it if I need to go out during those cold days.
 
Thank you Layla! May you and yours have a blessing and Merry Christmas!
 
Oh yes, the weather definitely does affect our knees and other joints that haven't been replaced. I was doing really well with my tkr about 3-4 years ago until we had a super cold spell come through. We had 18" of snow and the temperature was -11, unheard of in Virginia. Well, I had to shovel some snow so I could get around out there. Even after wearing longjohns, and two pairs of over pants, my knee got cold. It actually felt like the implant got cold. Who knows if it did or not, but it HURT big time. It took an hour or so for it to warm up and quit hurting. So yes, weather can still affect us even a few years after a tkr.
 
Hi everyone! Just checking in with a few questions……it’s going on 8 months and I see improvement (but with some set backs, ie: Achilles tendons on both ankles which I am in PT and piriformis muscles are a problem so double whammy) but pertaining to my knee……I am 8 months out of surgery and my knee at surgery sight is still stiff and burning at incision. My flexibility is at 117 and extension is at a 1. My thigh muscles are tight, especially when waking in the morning. Doing stairs is still a bit of a challenge and kneeling can not do without discomfort. I’m in Ohio so I am sure the cold weather isn’t helping much either. Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated!
 
@Mickimouse at 8 months out this all sounds very normal. This recovery can take one year or longer depending on how long you limped around pre-op.

Are you still icing and elevating? The stiffness you are experiencing may decrease with icing.

Gentle stretches in the morning will ease the tight muscles.

And please don't worry about stairs or kneeling. These activities take time and patience.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Thank you Jaycey, I couldn’t remember how to get back into my thread…..can you tell me how to do that if I log out so I don’t post wrong again, thanks!
 
Hi My BoneSmart friends! Next month it will be 1 year since my right tkr, and I have had one heck of a year……dealing with Achilles tendonosis which I had an non evasive procedure done 3 weeks ago, recovery will be around 3 months, still going to physical therapy for that, ugh. My knee is getting there, 1 extension and 119 flexation….really been a struggle with other issues like my lower back and the Achilles. And to top it off, my left knee is really bad but surgeon doesn’t want to do surgery until the ankles get straightened out…..my question is my new knee is still feeling tight especially stepping down off a step and my thigh muscle very tight. Runs up the outside of my leg. I can’t tell if it is from surgery or my piriformis/sciatica that I’m having. Any insights would be appreciated!
 
It is very possible you ae still having inside swelling. Have you tried icing and elevating it? What about heat? You are fall enough along that using heat shouldn't harm it.

Overall it sounds like you are doing well for what your poor body has been through!
 
I'm sorry to read about all you've been going through, @Mickimouse, and hope you can get the Achilles tendonosis resolved so you can get on with your second TKR.

my thigh muscle very tight. Runs up the outside of my leg. I can’t tell if it is from surgery or my piriformis/sciatica
It could be either -- or both. With the other issues you've had, your leg is probably still not fully adjusted to its new, post-surgical alignment.

I also had hip, thigh and low back issues during my recovery. I found a massage therapist who worked on the tight areas and it really helped. Perhaps you can give that a try?
 
Hi @Mickimouse , so good to hear from you! I’m sorry to hear about your other challenges though ): It definitely does make the knee recovery harder. I can say as someone whose knee was hurting a lot before, during, and after my hip surgery, my hip did not get a fair chance to properly rehab because of my knee. So throughout my knee recovery, my hip would tighten up and occasionally get sore. I’m guessing your knee is in a similar situation…your other issues making it harder to fully rehab your knee. That could be why you’re getting tightness, etc in your new knee. When you get the other parts fixed up, I bet your knee will function even better. And hopefully your OTHER knee will be less bothersome too. :prayer:
Wishing you the best!
 
Back
Top Bottom