Guest viewing is limited

PKR QdogPa recovery

With last PT a week ago this past Tuesday and coronavirus, i am now fully on my own..ADL’s , some minor stretching ..yesterday,at end of day when wife came home , I said this is first day I feel progress..I had walked 10,000 plus steps for several days, and yesterday I felt my gait and pace were very good, even though knee was tight and achy...

then today, not so good, have 9800 steps , will get those 200 in next 60 minutes! Knee barking , extension seems a tad short of where it was recently... seems like 1 step forward, 1.5 back...very frustrating.. I will keep the mantra that time is our friend ...but honestly , getting very tired of this...
 
I really think it’s too early to be aiming for 10,000 steps. That is not recovery mode, and you are still in recovery.

I also wonder if today’s weather might have affected your knee. I’m “next door” in Delaware, and it was hot and a bit humid with rain this morning, so your weather was possibly similar.

I also think most of us are very stressed about the current virus situation and the changes happening to life as we know it.

Weather and stress and worry can make our new knees feel worse. I know it did mine, especially the whole first year.

Time is your friend and you’ve been so faithful in hanging on to that. Try to hang on longer. I know by now it’s seems like you’ve been in recovery a very long time, but in the grand scheme of this recovery you are still in early days in this year long recovery, even though you had a partial.

I know all about being frustrated with this long recovery. I, too, got a partial, and all I read beforehand, and what my surgeon’s office did and did not say, I expected to be recovered in 2-3 months. Reality was quite a shock, as was learning the truth when I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op.

Try not to get ahead of yourself. You’re doing so well. You’ll do great once you are healed, but you really do still have a ways to go.
 
@Qdogpa
I am pretty much at the same pace as you. I get frustrated also when I walk too much and then pay for it. Thanks Jockette for your advice. This virus is scary to deal with along with recovery from surgery. We don’t have our usual defenses mentally to fight the anxiety.
I am getting better at long walks but careful to avoid too much walking back and forth inside. I think even slight twists to our knee causes more pain than measured walking. It’s frustrating cutting back after progress, isn’t it? As you say though, time is our friend.
 
@Qdogpa I know I have said this before but we are both at the same post op time and can relate to what you experience. I said yesterday, 1 step forward then millions back!!!!!!!!!! Still not got gait right which in turn throws my back so just could throw myself in a heap. But it's only us that can do this so we have to be strong and sensible. I have found that putting my ice pack on the back of knee seems to help get the swelling down so much better. Don't know why?? So, let's carry on but try not to be too hard on ourselves. Onwards and upwards as we say, take care xx
 
Thanks Andypandy! Another restless sleep, and today I plan on doing not much of anything..Weather here is miserable, so walks look unlikely. The ligaments? Tendons? Behind the knee are very achy, and kneecap area tender and somewhat achy..Still get the occasional “zinger” ...this is taking way longer then I had expected, though I am grateful that I had it done during the winter, as having it done in spring or summer, this much lost time would be much more aggravating....time is our friend...
 
@Qdogpa have you tried ice at the back of knee? Seems to help. Sleep is so limited isn't it, how to get comfortable. I am still not taki g the stairs properly, put weight on the knee and oh do I pay for it. Like you, I didn't think it would be such a long recovery , but nothing's going to change it. The sun is shining here again today, bit chilly but so nice to see. Not good for irresponsible people taking to the streets in droves, praying we get lockdown soon. Don't be too hard on yourself, your friend time is watching. Take care xx
 
Ugh, worst night in weeks, and today is 9 weeks post op....experienced throbbing in knee most of night , got out of bed, iced and elevated, no help.
then took 2 Tylenol 500’s , and about an hour or so, throbbing subsided enough to get 2 hours of restless sleep..What caused this? Nerves and tissues trying to get back to normal? Kneecap area still tender,muscles nearby as well, the medial area feels like there is a bruise below skin, no signs on skin...
losing my Patience , as 3 days ago I actually said to wife , I have turned a corner....time is our friend
 
I wonder if you still might be paying the price of doing all that walking last week. I had a huge setback at 4 months, from doing too much over a weekend, and it took a month for my poor knee to settle down.
 
Jockette, perhaps...had Decided Sunday to take this week off, so will continue to do so....just doing daily living stuff, no walks, just isolating knee.... weather has been miserable here , today at least Not raining...this ”lockdown” due to coronavirus also wearing thin on me. Was an empty nester , now everyone back,lol...daughters love coming home , better to be isolated where great food and great wine are then a tiny apartment , where everything shutdown as well.. to their credit, they are helping me with a lot! Time is our friend!
 
I also found emotional stress made my knee hurt more, and we are all under emotional stress right now with the worldwide virus threat and the lockdowns.

It’s different when we are used to having an empty nest and then the kids come back, even if it’s just for a visit. My 2 daughters live in Ohio, so visits are several days long. Their kids are young so it’s a busy house when they are here.

After an especially hectic departure last year, once they were out of the house and it was quiet, I said to my husband, they have all the kids, right?:heehee:
 
Stress makes pain worse. These days are stressful and a cause for more discomfort, not to mention your excessive walk a few day ago. Taking just a few days off for your knee to recuperate isn't near enough. It's going to take time for the inflammation to settle out. Continue to ice and elevate as much as you can so it can calm down.
 
@Qdogpa congratulations, I join you 9 weeks today and counting. There are so many different goings on with our knees, it's mind boggling to work out. I was watching tv in bed last night, suddenly the most strange pain in my knee cap, I literally screamed and my poor OH thinks OMG!!! Then I can't explain what it is except bloody painful. Still icing at the back of knee as seems to help, but I just want to walk properly. Please don't be hard on yourself, said it before but you are doing really well and then we get that little reminder to tell us, take it easy, no rushing here! Hope you get a better night, I was awake on and off and then 04.00am OH makes a nice cup of tea, hot water bottle for my aching back and put the world to rights. Don't think I will be doing salsa for some time but nice to dream. Take it easy xx
 
I feel your pain @Qdogpa . The no sleep thing is driving me crazy
Today is a nice weather day here in Philly and I'm determined to at least walk around the block.
The stress is real, we are under a stay at home order thanks to Corona so everyone is on edge.
 
Yes, weather broke in the burbs of Philly mid afternoon ..just walked into yard, and soaked up the sun for a bit...rain forecast tomorrow, so it is only a temporary reprieve ....did elevate for an hour , knee feels a tad better ... fingers crossed for some sleep tonight
 
Getting outside just for a few minutes is such a mood uplifter. Good for you getting out.
 
Last post for today,lol...at 9 weeks post op is it normal to take Tylenol or such several times a day? I was taking tylenol 500 , 2 pills , 3 times a day for first 4/6 weeks post op, then Used on as needed basis ..
thinking maybe I need to stay ahead of any potential pain/ache for awhile.
all thoughts and insight much appreciated !
 
I took 1000 mg of Tylenol, 3 times a day, for months. Maybe I shouldn’t have, but it didn’t do me any harm that I know of, and I think it helped keep the pain level under control.
 
Last post for today,lol...at 9 weeks post op is it normal to take Tylenol or such several times a day? I was taking tylenol 500 , 2 pills , 3 times a day for first 4/6 weeks post op, then Used on as needed basis ..
thinking maybe I need to stay ahead of any potential pain/ache for awhile.
all thoughts and insight much appreciated !
I'm only at 4 weeks but I'm still taking the tramadol and oxycodone. Luckily the oxycodone I only have to take on really bad days. I am taking pt ( lol or at least I was prior to the stay at home) so a few times after that if be in agony. So I wouldn't worry about having to take acetaminophen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Update, have backed off the 10,000 daily steps that may have caused my setback last week..sleep is getting better, but that’s not saying much, but is still a positive .. also sleeping for most of night with leg/knee elevated.the zingers are noticeably less, and the tightness around knee is less as well. And though knee area is still a bit tender to touch, that Is less as well...all in all, I see progress! Still have an issue getting laundry out of the front load washer and dryer, as bending is still difficult.

hope everyone is moving forward with their rehab, and remember Time is our friend..!
 
I’m so glad to read that you’re in a better place in your recovery today.

I still have issues with my knee, and getting things out of the dryer is one of them. If we ever replace it I’m getting one of those stands to raise it up!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom