PKR QdogPa recovery

So, as my knee tightness/ ache/numbness subsides ,very slowly I might add, I find the pain/ache around knee increase...Has anyone else experienced this? I am 6 weeks post op 3/3, and what miserable sleep I have had, seems to be getting worse.i also seem to be walking with a bit more issue then just a week ago. the knee seems strong as I have no problem balancing solely on that leg, it is lateral movements and “step down” that brings the real pain..

time is our friend!
 
Funnily enough, I was reading my diary from last year's TKR and I'd written that I felt I was going backwards at 6 weeks, more pain, less sleep etc. I had to fill in a questionnaire from the hospital and they were obviously concerned about my answers because they rang offering me an appointment with a Professor, but by 8 weeks things had improved.

It's not so bad this time, although Thursday night and Friday weren't good. Maybe it's because I'm more aware of trying not to overdo it, but in any case it's not a linear recovery and there are many backward steps. Our knees soon let us know when we overdo it. I find it best to have a rest day and cut back on exercises when this happens and that seems to help. I hope your knee settles down soon.
 
If I have a rest day, oh boy do I then pay for it. Similar to you had an off day so really didn't do too much, today started basic exercises again and the stiffness is horrendous. My heels are so sore now from doing heel slides/ankle pumps had to rest them on ice. Just cant seem to get it right yet at 3 weeks was doing pretty good. Oh please when will this become good xx
 
Qdogpa, I am in the same place post op time as you, and I agree the overall soreness seems worse. Lateral moves are a killer. I lunged after my dog a few days ago and it burned under the knee all day. Can’t even begin to go down a stair. My PT has me trying to put my good foot down just a bit and I only get about one inch down a stair when bad pain like a bullet to the kneecap hits. You are right.... time is the remedy I think.
 
Also I forgot to ask — I am trying to stay on my feet and am doing a bit of walking on the treadmill but so much of the day my legs just feel much more “tired” than they used to be. By now I would think they would have regained more of the pre surgery strength— I was walking three miles a day and they were pretty strong.
 
I also walk often ,but not nearly as much as pre op...on days i don’t have a PT session, I try to walk further then the day before...I do some stretches, but not much PT at home. I think my problem , hence pain, is trying to do the foot over foot down the stairs.. at a PT session I do it off a 4” platform , and it hurts...so I will nix that for a bit...
 
I think we try to put too much on ourselves. Too little and feel bad, too much and feel horrendous. How fast is the treadmill set at and how long are you on it. Maybe tad too much at this stage xx
 
@Jockette did you find that all that Tylenol affected your stomache? And would you take Tylenol for the muscle pain too?
 
So, as my knee tightness/ ache/numbness subsides ,very slowly I might add, I find the pain/ache around knee increase
I am having this problem too. It feels as if every muscle, tendon and nerve surrounding my knee is in complaint mode. The joint itself is lovely.
 
People, please remember that this is QdogPa's recovery thread. Questions about your own recoveries should be asked in your own threads. Thank you.
 
Even on my 'rest days' I do a few basic exercises to keep things moving, just not too much in one go. Once we start mi I got more, all those soft tissues around the knee must be waking up to the realignment I guess and are struggling to adjust, much as we are. It takes time to retrain those tissues I assume a bad some longer than others.

I've been told not to expect my IT band issues to settle for at least 18 months and that still causes pain coming downstairs on the first knee. It was 2 months before I could come downstairs with the first knee, yet 3 weeks with this one so I'm hoping it means I won't have the same issues. No doubt there will be something else instead!
 
@Qdogpa - Since this is your thread, let's get back to you. How are you getting on now?
 
6 weeks post tomorrow,3/3..... original pain has become a tightness, some numbness and huge aches in and around knee... lateral movements cause pain as does the “step down foot over foot” which I have stopped.. sleep could be worst of my life, rarely get more then 2-3 hours uninterrupted. Due to inability to get in a comfortable position , I guess.

currently finishing up eliquis and lanprazole this week, and take Tylenol 500 every 8 hours, but trying to back off, as I have encountered mild stomach discomfort, which I blame on the medicine cocktails I have been on since surgery.

PT is twice a week, and she is very good, but I do feel it the next day, which causes me not to do the home exercises, but I do walk and stretch.

the most difficult thing in last few days is the mental, emotional aspect. Getting frustrated and annoyed I am not where I thought I would be. just trying to sit comfortably is a chore...the plus side is there is six weeks BEHIND me, so I hope another 2 weeks gets me to a place where I can sleep, and sit without concern or aches.

Time is our friend....
 
@Qdogpa I am 6 weeks post op today and nowhere near your achievements. The frustration,emotions even anger are normal in our journey. It's hard to accept that we are not doing what we want/ think we should be doing, but I have beaten myself up the last couple of weeks because of this and guess what, I haven't achieved anything except misery. So, changed my thinking and if I don't feel up to doing too much, I don't. My walking is improving, slowly, just still doing the rehab exercises, nothing more. See nhs PT on Friday and no I haven't achieved the squats and standing sitting he gave me because they hurt a d put me back. Has to be when I am ready. I still only sleep 2 hours then awake as like you can't get comfortable. So, as I said before, well done you, and as you told me, time is our friend xx
 
I had my surgery on the same day as you and basically I am at the same place. I think it goes with the territory. One day it seems like I've turned the corner and the next, not so good. This recovery takes lots of patience.
 
@Qdogpa

I am 12 weeks post op tomorrow. You can count me being in the same boat also. I have read most on here that there is nothing to worry about when it comes to ROM, but for some reason I can’t shut my brain down from telling me that I’m not where I should be, and it is mentally fatiguing for sure. But these people on here know what they are talking about, they’ve been here and done it, sometimes more than once. But the brain is powerful and can do a number on us, I’m one of those people that’s in shambles. Hang in there, you’re not alone for sure.
 
Thanks for sharing your journey. I am a couple of weeks behind you and it is helpful to hear not to rush it and to keep my expectations in check. It is very hard to take it slow but from what I have read in this forum, there is no rushing it.
 
Well another miserable attempt at sleep last night..knee is tight , and a bit achy, and a bit swollen, but throbbing ache is much less, just can’t get comfortable..the zingers are less as well...weather has been very conducive to getting some walks, so I hobbled for 2000 steps, then another 1000 a few hours later...do very little of PT exercises, mainly just stretches and walking...the exercises at home would always cause some pain, so now just do them at PT site...rest and time....all you need... off all meds! Finished my last of precautionary Eliquis, all others were done last week.
 
The sleeping is not good. Last night I tried on my side and managed a couple of hours but then back on my back and not good. Do you ice in the night? I find it sometimes helps me to drop off. Your walking is good, I am getting to do more, still using my mantra heel toe. As for exercises, 3 x just basic rehab ones. I cannot put myself through more pain, absolutely ridiculous to ourselves. My pt probably won't be happy when I see him Friday, but then I wasn't happy when I had to endure additional pain trying the exercises he suggested. I am still taking oramorph 2 x, 1 morning, 1 evening. Stay strong and positive, you'll be dancing soon. X
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom