PKR QdogPa recovery

@Qdogpa I am pretty close to where you’re at. Surgery was Jan 28. I have aches as well. Mine is mostly behind my knee in the soft tissue. Trying to get out for walks but this social isolation is so hard and is getting me down. Praying for this whole virus thing to be over with soon. Guess I’m just needing more patience.
 
Just celebrated 12 weeks post op! Where did the time go? Anyway, here is an update ..sleep is much better, knee is not causing much issues, as long as I am gentle when changing from back to side sleep..sleeping on stomach causes more issues for some reason. Walking is good, not great...my knee cap under and below hurts to a small degree, and I tire after any walk of duration, but all and all, getting better. Yard work is bothersome, so I do in small doses.

have some small Pain issues on shin and calf at times, and my foot is often somewhat cold, when just sitting and off ground .sitting at my desk at home , leg stiffens up after awhile.

I will say I think I set myself back by being somewhat aggressive in my actions around week 6 or so, and while my PT was fine, I should have backed off that as well..time is more your friend then PT...

best wishes to all in their recovery!
 
@Qdogpa Congratulations! I think you have done incredibly well. Still a way to go so I believe the aches, pains, etc., are part of our recovery. I was 12 weeks yesterday and kept up with your recovery to see if I was on par with you and of course that's not the way to do it. We are all different and must not judge ourselves with others. Having said that I can relate some things with you. My gait is getting better, taking so long, I can walk upstairs properly but can't come down properly, will happen whenever. Still get swelling, tightness but then I rest and ice. So, keep up the good work and how right you were from the beginning, time is our friend. Take care xx
 
@Andypandy and @Qdogpa I am also coming up to 12 weeks post surgery for TKR
I think we are all doing pretty darn good!! Still not going downstairs properly yet either and have some pain on the back of my knee. Stiffness if I stand too long. Still need to ice. It’s also just a strange time being isolated from family and friends. Hopefully will be over soon. Be safe and well and .... yes time is our friend!
 
Joha, I can do it that way as well ! Here is hoping we all progress each and every day ...Hopefully by time the stay at home mandate is lifted , I am feeling better to the point of finally going out to dinner or a bar! Goes for rest of the Bonesmart posters as well....time is our friend...But we also need to “get busy living or get busy dying“...Shawshank Redemption...
 
Walking downstairs foot over foot is always harder than going upstairs doing the same. It can take many people 4 months or more before they can do it, so try not to worry - it will come, as you continue to progress.
 
Nearing 14 weeks post op...still knee gets tired after minimal activity.. kneecap, below and under still ache..sleep is ok ...time has been my best friend, as every time I have upped exercise or pt , I have paid the price for nearly a week afterwards. One step forward,2 steps back....anyone who thinks a PKR is a quick ,simple procedure is mistaken. My surgeon never dismissed the recovery period, but also never alluded to how long it may take..still, well worth the headaches...

I wish every Bonesmart member the best recovery, with the caveat,it is a slow, time consuming process...which is to be expected...don’t rush it!
 
Again, I agree. It's the same with me. I try to be patient with the recovery process; but, sometimes it gets to me--especially when I'm trying to do a few "normal chores" like cooking or putting away groceries and I have to take a break after what seems like a very short time. Standing, especially in one position, is still not my friend. My legs still seem to tighten up very quickly. I thought it was just me. I guess not. Just the process.
 
..anyone who thinks a PKR is a quick ,simple procedure is mistaken.
This is so true! It’s still a very major surgery.

Everything I read about partials before my surgery made it sound like it was not a big deal, but it’s been a very big deal for me, especially with the lingering issues, still, at 3 years post op.
 
@Qdogpa and @Pattikakes...I hear you! I’ll be seven weeks post op tomorrow. I felt really strong yesterday, believed I must have turned some kind of corner, and despite all the great advice I’ve read on this site, definitely overdid it. Last night, I really paid the price with a very sore knee and poor sleep. Today, I’m going to take it very easy. It does get discouraging. And I still worry (because it’s my nature) that maybe me knee isn’t bending as much as it should. I’ve had no formal PT, so when I read about degrees of flexion, I get anxious. I know I’m at better than 90 degrees, and then there are practical measures, like its much easier to get in and out of the car now than it was two weeks ago. I wish I could be easier on myself!
 
Yesterday, out of quarantine boredom, I finally watched some of the 2019 Bonesmart videos posted on this website. There is one titled "Am I a candidate for joint replacement?" About 9 minutes into the video, the surgeon talks about pros and cons of the PKRs. If you haven't already watched it, you may find it interesting...
 
I know my case was probably a little different since I had two total replacements within five months of one another and I knew that the recovery was long so I was prepared in that way. However, until you go through it, you really don't know what to expect. Both of my surgeries were completely different as far as pain and recovery; and while I think it's a good thing to be as prepared as possible, you have to experience it to know what it's really like. For me, patience is the key and reminding myself that I'm still in the recovery process and I have to treat my knees as such. Some days are better than others and I'm grateful for the good days and look forward to the future when hopefully I'll be able to do all the things that I couldn't do before the surgeries.
 
Again, I agree. It's the same with me. I try to be patient with the recovery process; but, sometimes it gets to me--especially when I'm trying to do a few "normal chores" like cooking or putting away groceries and I have to take a break after what seems like a very short time. Standing, especially in one position, is still not my friend. My legs still seem to tighten up very quickly. I thought it was just me. I guess not. Just the process.

Standing makes my knee stiffen up worse than walking.
 
@Qdogpa wow, we are 14 weeks post op today . Good to hear you are improving but, this is slow
I am walking further, gait better but still getting this tightness, not just after walking, wake in the morning and feel the tightness. Feels like the skin being stretched. Have you experienced this? Well, we must carry on , we have certainly experienced a great deal. Hope you are coping with lockdown. Take care xx
 
same experiences! I have upped my walking and doing some spin cycling at home.. will say the cycling has helped with the knee , the tightness is less. I still have some ache below the kneecap , and just below the knee as well. sleep is good! After a walk, my knee and leg are tired. I use a Fitbit and an iwatch to track my walks . I have several dogs, so I try and get each out several times.most walks are 3/4 of a mile each time. I concentrate on my gait as I walk, as I seem to limp a bit. On occasion , it feels like it may buckle. Walking down the stairs foot over foot not happening yet...Each day, we are closer to the end of this journey, and our best friend, Time, will be an old friend.
 
@Qdogpa well done, just think back to how we felt just a few weeks back. I can't walk down the stairs properly but I am not too worried at the moment. Had a little relapse as two days of walking too far was not good. You are doing great with the dogs, just go steady and take care x
 
That’s awesome! I haven’t tried waking the dogs yet - I still am using a walker on outside walks. I probably don’t need it & haven’t used it in the house for quite awhile but I want to do sure not to fall . My border collies would love to go walking.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom