PKR QdogPa recovery

Yep ...same stuff going on here with three month recovery. Still really variable. Can go downstairs finally but sort of a jump-down, favoring the right leg. Mornings are still the stiffest and most uncomfortable time . Walking straight ahead is really good and pain free. Can totally bend leg all the way and almost kneel until my knee reminds me not to go there. A lot accomplished and a lot to go. We learn patience the hard way, yes?
 
Checking in, 16 weeks into this recovery...ugh...as I have said numerous times, never would I have thought I wouldn’t be 100% at 12 weeks , let alone 16! ...sure I am progressing, but now it is incremental...have started down the stairs foot over foot...not comfortable , but not too painful .the knee gets very achy and tired after a long day of yard work, dog walks, ADLs...zingers are rare, but knee area still “tight” and stiff...the last 2 weeks, I have averaged 18,000 steps a day (Fitbit, I watch tracking) ... still have a slight limp when I stride, though try to pay more attention to my gait.

i hope everyone is making progress in their recovery...i have not used ice or elevated in awhile, perhaps I should get back to that after the knee gets exhausted .... For those early in their recovery,PT is ok , but Time is your best friend...
 
I’ve been wondering how you were doing, so it’s good to get an update! 18,000 steps is a lot. At almost 10 weeks post op, I’m trying to stretch my half mile walk a bit farther each day, so I’m way behind you. But I’m in total agreement that this healing process sure can feel slow. However, a friend just had a TKR yesterday, and his post op comments reminded me that I’m in a much better place today than I was on March 11, when just getting to the bathroom was exhausting and scary. Best wishes for continued progress, @Qdogpa!
 
@Qdogpa 16 weeks!!! Wow, think back and how we have progressed, only saying last night couldn't envisage getting here. Yes, still a way to go but as I have always said you have done incredibly well and you have a great sense of determination. I am almost a replica to your progress, but you are more active. I still can't go down the stairs properly but I am not going to beat myself up. Good and bad days, still getting this tight stiff feeling but I am still using ice. Key is, don't let's get too far ahead of our healing process, our knees will do what they want when ready. I also have that slight limp, but just focus on it. You have been an inspiration to not only me but many people on here. Thank you and let's carry on with your best motto, Time is our friend. Take care x
 
Going down stairs is one of the last things to come back. They told me it requires 120° ROM. @Qdogpa, you mentioned very early on that you already had 0° extension. That's huge, wonder if I have that even now. I remember my PT telling me that if the extension is noticeably high, when you walk that side is shorter than the other.
 
So good to have so many PKR folks sharing their experiences.
We all really learn from each other.
I also think that perhaps, years ago, people came to BS with an issue/problem/concern, and many still do, but now, I think that many of us just benefit from learning of others’ experiences.
 
.i have not used ice or elevated in awhile, perhaps I should get back to that after the knee gets exhausted .... For those early in their recovery,PT is ok , but Time is your best friend...
@Qdogpa I have valued following your recovery journey since I’m a couple of weeks behind you. My PT reminded me last week after I over did it that I need to be icing every day for a year. I had gotten out of the habit as I’m able to do more things and am now back to icing daily again. It really is a slow journey, but every week is better & better!
 
20 weeks today, where has the time gone! I Have continued to push the knee, probably more then I should, by increasing step counts, and working about the yard. Simple tasks like weeding the gardens causes the knee to stiffen up and ache. Walking down steps foot over foot is tentative , and a small ache most times, but slight improvement over last few days.

I was in my pool over the weekend, and tried to bend the new knee as far back to my rear end as could.I rested it on the pool shelf, and moved to a sitting position.. the old knee can just about make contact, the new knee , 1-2 inches short. So I have concentrated on stretching that out, once I meet some pain and/or resistance , I back off..

this process has taken way longer then I would have expected pre op...But that’s just my fault for thinking that. This site was an integral part of the healing process, and continues to be.

bets wishes to everyone on their journey to recovery.Time is Our best friend in recovery .
 
Good to hear from you, @Qdogpa. I’m 13 weeks out now and making incremental progress in this crazy recovery. Your updates always inspire me!
 
My PT reminded me last week after I over did it that I need to be icing every day for a year.
Personally I don’t think it’s necessary to ice every day for a year, unless you still have swelling, or you overdo things on occasion. Your knee will tell you what it wants. By 6 months ice began to hurt my knee, within a couple of minutes. I knew, for me, it was time to stop. Do what works for you.
 
@Qdogpa--
I haven't been on forum for some time and now that I read your comments I laugh, since we have always been pretty similar in our recovery and at post five months I too have issues with something like weeding (there is no way to bend the knee repeatedly doing any activity that doesn't cause stiffness) and also going down stairs still a a bit "ouchy". But I can now hike miles and miles (well, four) without any pain and even forget I ever had surgery. Until....I go out and weed :)
It's nice to provide some hope for the newbies--look how far we have come with "time on our side"!
 
@Qdogpa I am with you, 20 weeks and counting. Well done on your latest achievements, excellent. I still get the stiffness and more or less same issues as you have. I just cannot walk fast, can you. And if I am not careful can feel a slight limp. However , really trying an d feel some improvement. Wish you well and take care xx
 
AP, yes I also feel a slight limp while walking. And I experience an ache as I walk, nothing terribly painful, but clearly noticeable ..also have a “click” in my knee, but was told that’s nothing to be concerned about....considering how miserable the first 8 weeks were, I am ok with my progress, though wish I were further along...
 
At six months you're just halfway through this healing journey of yours. It sounds like you're coming along well.
 
6 month update...well if anyone told me I wouldn’t be 100% by now, I would say that’s insane...But here I am, not 100%. Maybe 80%, on a good day, prior going for a walk. Some days much better then others.. the knee and surrounding area tires and aches somewhat after walking or doing yardwork. not a pain however, no need to reach for an Advil or such. Walking down stairs foot over foot is now a reality , though a bit slow.. I know I keep preaching time is our best friend , but this “friend” needs to go away!

Hope everyone in this recovery process continues to see improvement!
 
Not the “quick and easy” recovery from a partial that we were expecting, right?

I can only go up stairs foot over foot if the stairs are short. It’s actually pretty rare that I can go down foot over. And I’m 3+ years post op.
 
I will also add, though, that in general, I am much better now than I was that first year. My knee, even now, does continue to improve, though I don’t think it will ever be what we were planning on.

Even a couple of years later, Time has indeed been my friend. Other than stairs. I am managing fairly well.
 
@Qdogpa ... Good to get your update. I’m at 4.5 months, and while I can go upstairs pretty well, going down is still difficult. I can do it foot over foot, but my right quad/knee doesn’t like it...so I often resort to one step at a time. This sure has been a crazy process! There are more and more days when I don’t really think about my knee much (a good thing) and then there are moments like just now when I tried to kneel and my knee said NO WAY.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom