Bilateral THR Put2pasture is now garose2hip in recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it hurt afterwards, but was it hard to wear the wedge heel while you were wearing them or only afterwards? Are you using a cane or crutches still or walking unassisted? I got some cute boots for Christmas and was wondering if I will be able to wear them comfortably at some point.
 
is it normal to "feel" pain after wearing heels, is it a balancing act on the new hips?
Yeap!
Also the Tylenol doesn't seem to do much. I tried not doing any morphine, (since Saturday), just 4000mg of Tylenol, but finally gave in as the pain is at the point of tears.
At 8 weeks you're a little early to be going onto just Tylenol. I'd go back to the narcs for another couple of weeks.
 
Hey Debbie, yes I wore a Clark's boot/shoe during the fall and winter with jeans for the most part with a 1 inch angled sole. I haven't wore heels (2 inch heels making me 6 foot tall) with the exception of my middle son's wedding 2 years ago, with the help of 2 margaritas I was even cutting a rug on the dance floor! I didn't have a clue that my hips were in the process of deteriorating, thought it was that wonderful L3L4. I go barefooted in the house as that is the most comfortable and I feel more stable and sandals with the maxi-dresses at work, except, when everyone leaves then I put on slippers! :heehee:
 
Debbie, it was uncomfortable during the day, not agony, thought it was just like learning a new PT movement, but it is in the evening when the pain spikes. That muscle in the middle of my left buttock is literally a pain in my behind, doesn't go away by the end of the day/night and it is my left hip that is the most uncomfortable, hurts to get in the car while I am the driver, still have to use my hand to assist getting it in, along with a moan, groan or whimper....
 
@GaRosehippy Yeah, I think I will wait until fall to try wearing my cute boots! They are out of season now, anyway and I might be ready by fall. I haven't worn a high pump in a loooong time, (doubt if I'll ever do that again... Well, maybe just around the house :heehee: but I still wear 1-2 inch heels on occasion. Right now I'm still learning how to walk again! LOL.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Put2pasture is now garose2hip in recovery!
@GaRosehippy, you might check this article out: Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt!
 
@GaRosehippy , I had this also....but only on my right side, occasionally after I did a lot of bending or squatting. I do see a chiropractor, and the exercise he showed me is provided by the article @bottomshollo recommended. FYI: Just me... but I found if I marched (walking around my house bringing my knees up and holding for a couple of seconds, for maybe 2-3 minutes), afterwards I put ice on the area.... 5-10 minutes later, it is gone. Also noticed that if I did alot of walking... (like going to Wal-Mart), in ANY shoes or sandals that I had before surgery, it hurts. Your wear pattern is in those from the "bad ole days"! Got a great excuse to go out and shoe shop! I hope this helps.
 
@bottomshollow ..I read that link, I hope it will go away, it is deep, thought about having a massage done and have her work on that area specifically IF I can handle it. I have tried pressing on it, but it is really sensitive and painful and not easy to reach. The pain in my left hip, there is swelling at the base of the incision and a "knot" I am wondering if it is scar tissue, it is like the size of a golf ball and tender, tried massaging that too. Day 4 of rain and temps have dropped again. Feels like I am going backwards instead of forward. Bummed.
 
I don't know what it is. I "think" it is scar tissue. I "think" I am just going to have to keep moving it even though it hurts to do that "high march step" with the left and build up the strength. Just certain angles, like getting that left leg into the car, an up and lift turn. I got on my knees on the floor at work today and it was a job getting back up on this new hips, used the desk for assistance.

I don't think all this rain has been helping and my lower back the L3L4 has been burning like made lately, was hoping that would be a thing of the past, but seems like I will have to have an epidural injection soon. It has been about 6 months since my last one.
 
Thank you @JoeL...I am just feeling discouraged. Remaining optimistic, it is Friday and a new day!
 
@Josephine ....buttock pain is in both......DR5B and DL2B areas. The swollen area near the incision is towards outer bottom end of it, I think that is scar tissue. I told the OS when I saw him 2 1/2 weeks ago that the left hip hurt more, he lifted it up like a "high marching move", I winced he mentioned scar tissue was probably the issue and to keep lifting it and it should work itself out over the next 6 weeks....

My incisions cover areas CDR2F and CDL5F...front leg pain after incision ends is E and part of F R2F and same with other leg is E and part of F L2F, but you said that is probably the "stem" that was inserted into the femur. Thanks.
 
buttock pain is in both......DR5B and DL2B areas.
My incisions cover areas CDR2F and CDL5F.
front leg pain after incision ends is E and part of F R2F and same with other leg is E and part of F L2F
similar to this?
There actually isn't a L2F so I am assuming you meant L5F. Correct me if that's wrong!
[Bonesmart.org] Put2pasture is now garose2hip in recovery!


he mentioned scar tissue was probably the issue and to keep lifting it and it should work itself out over the next 6 weeks
Typical surgeon's response! Akin to "take a couple of Tylenol and call me in the morning if it's no better"!

It's not scar tissue - hips don't get scar tissue! Not in that way, anyway. What occurs to me is that you are only 8 weeks out.

I'm going to ask you some questions and I need you to answer each one individually in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Put2pasture is now garose2hip in recovery!
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and 6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

I'll be back later to see what you've said.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My activity level is off the charts.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. I know you know better. You can't do all this and not expect to reap the whirlwind of it. You had MAJOR surgery and the recovery is also major. Either take my advice or accept the consequences. What more can I say?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Stopping by to see if you are feeling any better. Really sorry to hear you are struggling with a lot of pain. I'm no pro but I'm thinking you are doing too much too soon.

Hope you have some better days ahead soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom