Bilateral THR Put2pasture is now garose2hip in recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey GaRose,
Just stopping in to see how you are doing? I'm a couple weeks out now to get my second hip, boy is it killing me. MY THR feels great though. Hope all is well...
 
@GaRosehippy How are you feeling? I have been following your recovery for a while since I will be having a bilateral hip replacement myself on June 3rd. I hope the pain you have been experiencing lately has subsided. Thinking of you.
 
@GaRosehippy -- Please let us know you are okay -- I know we don't always hear what we want or need from Bonesmart -- but sometimes we do ---- and we always have choices and can hear different opinions --- but we still need you . . . I miss you! We're here for you! I know I've been in my cave hiding out for awhile and if that's where you are I certainly understand.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, been having a private pity party.........Last week marked the one year anniversary of losing my sister, 69 days in the hospital and hospice, we had celebrated Mother's Day last year in hospice, and like over night something happened, her 60th Birthday followed 3 days later then 3 days after that she was dead.. How does someone go into the hospital on 2 drugs and leave 2 months later dying and on 5 pages of meds?

Okay on the pain in my buttocks.....piriformis muscle what ever it is called, too close to the sciatica to do an injection, so put on oral steroids (Medrol) that was 12 days ago, doc said it would "knock out" the pain, well it is still there if not worse, called the OS to advise them of that on Friday and they said it was "nerve pain" and called in something called Elavil, I looked it up and it said it was an anti-depressant. Yesterday the pain was so bad came close to going to the ER, but figured they would just knock me out, so I made it through till today.

TODAY, my hips are POPPING!!! When I walk they are popping, I can hear it, I can feel it, what is going on?? Anyone have their hips pop after replacement surgery? My right one would pop before, but assumed that was from it being diseased. Man some days I wish I had never had hip replacement. I was doing so good. I told the OS that I feel like I am REGRESSING instead or PROGRESSING!! I am hurting all the time, I fear that something is wrong and they are not listening to me.......

I told them that it hurt to go up and down the stairs, getting up from a sitting position, I can no longer just get up, I now have to use my desk or table to get myself up, my hips do not want to help me. Still left leg getting into the drivers side, have to use my hands and get it in, won't lift and get in by itself, STUPID leg!!

I am the EVER READY bunny. I am supposed to have my life back, my family is definitely out of patience with me, I am out of patience with me. When people ask me how I am I just tell them what they want to hear, I'm good, all is well, how can I help you???

Okay going back to my cave, if I find any medical explanations for my back stepping healing wise or my hips popping I will let you know.
 
Oh Roseann I feel for you so much. This is terrible what you are going through and I sincerely hope you find answers to your questions and more importantly that you find relief from your horrid pain and immobility. Thinking of you and praying for you my dear friend xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh Roseann, we've missed you so much --- thanks for peeking out of the cave to let us know what is up. May tomorrow bring you answers and relief! We'll be thinking about you!
 
Roseann, I feel for you sweetie...
I hope you get some help for the pain and find out what is limiting you now.
You remain in my thoughts , dear friend



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Had knee arthroscopy right meniscus tear outside in Sept last year, OS said he took 60% out, well today after reading my MRI from 3/7 he advises me that there is more tear and a "FLAP" that is why my knee pain has never gone away. Why I can not squat, trouble getting up and down. OS will be removing all the right side next surgery, says arthritis will set in and knee replacement will be inevitable by late 50's! OS said he was trying to preserve some of it, also a slight ACL issue, but he says that is a "BIG" surgery, "BIG" recovery and it's something I don't want if I don't have to. ME, I'm just do whatever you have to do!

Hips still killing me today, was supposed to see the PA but that involved a 5 hour drive and it just wasn't happening today! My next appt. with the OS is first week in June but only a 70 mile round trip, so HOPEFULLY I can hold out until then.

Have you heard that old saying "When it rains, it pours"?, Well it is pouring here in Georgia!
 
Oh my goodness Roseann it certainly is pouring for you. On a positive note at least you have got to the bottom of that horrible knee pain however you do seem to have some further challenges to conquer. I sincerely hope that your next appointment gives you some assistance with your hip pain too.. thinking of you Roseann
 
@fulafoto ...Thanks Bill, I keep hoping for a good day, but it has been downhill for the past 3 plus weeks. Don't ask me why, was doing AWESOME, then everything just went downhill super fast. I keep thinking something is wrong, don't want anything to be wrong, but just feels like there is. I want to remain optimistic, but hard to do when every day I wake up and wonder what is it going to feel like when my feet hit the floor!

Felt so much better this morning while laying in bed, just laid there watching the clock until I finally had to get out of bed then as the day progressed it was just more and more pain and limitations. I have gotten very good at waddling though! Love ya!
 
@Josephine.......how long does it usually take for the piriformis syndrome to get better or go away? I have been taking oral steroids (Medrol) since the 6th, no improvement that I can tell. They called in Elavil as a drug to help with "nerve pain" last Friday, but other then making me sleepy it hasn't helped with the buttock pain. I can feel that muscle it is long and narrow like a "speed bump" running in a diagonal/angle.

My hips ache constantly, am waddling instead of the straight walking I was doing up to 3 weeks ago. Doing 4000mg of Tylenol, over 24 hours and Morphine 15 mg every 12 hours, along with the steroid and Elavil. Am icing incision sites and buttocks. Never walked like this before the surgery and I think this pain is worse than in the beginning....hips are "popping" that began Sunday. Went to the site on "noise issues", how long does this annoying thing usually last too? As I sit here now they are throbbing like a tooth ache, I know they are there every waking moment. Have to manually lift my left leg into the vehicle when I am the driver.

I promise I have eased up on housework and everything else in my world/life. AND I am, icing at the incision sites and center of buttocks. Pillow between knees at bed time. I have used heat at work with the L3L4 area and biofreeze.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you JoeL...just hoping I can make till that visit the first week of June.......feels like it is a long ways away. I am not leaving without some answers.....IF he blows me off, I will be looking for another opinion as to why I am having such pain and backwards progress. Just very frustrating and disappointing. I had planned on walking just fine by now and enjoying the summer with my grands....just makes me sad!
 
how long does it usually take for the piriformis syndrome to get better or go away?
Oh gosh - that's the infamous unanswerable question. Some lucky people only have it for a couple of weeks, others have it for much, much longer. It's anybody's guess.
I can feel that muscle it is long and narrow like a "speed bump" running in a diagonal/angle.
I would be most surprised if you could feel the piriformis! It's a short muscle, about 3" long and tucked right down on top of the joint capsule. On top of it are the three gluteus muscles,
minimum, medius and maximus which are increasingly large, thick, strong muscles.
Am icing buttocks
Like how? You need to have bIG ice bags, the gel ones, and sit on one, for as long as it stays cold. Then swap them over and repeat! (btw, good idea to keep them in a plastic bag when they're in your freezer so your bum bugs don't get on your frozen food!)
hips are "popping" that began Sunday. Went to the site on "noise issues", how long does this annoying thing usually last too?
Both hips? That's unusual. But popping is nothing to worry about. Most likely because your muscles are losing tone an account of your other issues.
(piriformis) is too close to the sciatica to do an injection
Correct.

So back in a previous post, I asked you if this correlated with your pain spots but you didn't answer so here it is again

[Bonesmart.org] Put2pasture is now garose2hip in recovery!


And you didn't answer my questions either

I'm going to ask you some questions and I need you to answer each one individually in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Put2pasture is now garose2hip in recovery!
)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and 6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

I'll be back later to see what you've said.
 
Roseann I am so sorry you continue to suffer and I would definitely not leave without some answers either.
Now I may be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but maybe you need, as much as possible, to go back to your early recovery schedule in regard to icing, rest, elevation etc.?
Really not sure what to suggest but hope you may get something out of it?
In the mean time know we are here for you and we care about you and your recovery. xx
 
Sorry to read you are in such pain Roseann - stick with us honey.. :)
 
Hi Roseann,

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you. Hope you are feeling better today. :)
 
So sorry that you are having this setback in your recovery....like everyone I'm hoping that it's just overuse and that it will settle down with rest. It's nasty when you feel that you have returned to some semblance of normal and then this hits you. Take care....thinking of you. Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@GaRosehippy I am SO sorry you are experiencing all these set backs. I do hope you get to the bottom of it soon. I am glad Josephine gave you some ideas about the popping of your hips. I am praying this all works itself out and you can continue with your recovery. Do you think this may have been caused by your returning to work to soon? Just a though? Thinking of you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom