Guest viewing is limited

TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
RestAssured or anyone else who has had a hinged prothesis with support stems

Did you suffer from deep bone pain after your surgery? I have - as most people - pain in my knee but I also have terrible pains in by shin bone which make it painful to walk. It almost feels like walking on a broken leg. I was wondering if this is soft tissue damage (although there is very little to see) or whether it is an effect of the support stems being hammered into my bones

Thanks:SUNsmile:
 
In the old days, when all knees were hinged and had long stems, shin pain was a common occurrence. But it does settle eventually. Just take some oct pain med like Tylenol.
 
puffin. Have you or anyone else heard from ScaredinCA (Debbie) since her surgery? It will be a week since her surgery and we're getting w bit concerned.
 
puffin,

No, no pain like that but my hinged knee revision is different than most revisions. The stem is not that long and I don't have the typical look of a hinge. Mine is the new HK Smith & Nephew that Dr. Maale helped invent! The revision has been excellent! It has saved me from having another revision on a number of occasions, when I was "not as careful as I could have been!" :heehee:

Now, if I could just get "Capsie" with the program, I would be soaring! :happydance:
 
puffin. Have you or anyone else heard from ScaredinCA (Debbie) since her surgery? It will be a week since her surgery and we're getting w bit concerned.

No - it is a bit worrying - I hope she's OK

I think she said on her recovery thread that she was hoping to use her daughter's Ipad - so perhaps she is unable to get online. I was unable to post from hospital as I could not connect to the hospital wifi network.

Hoping she posts soon
 
In the old days, when all knees were hinged and had long stems, shin pain was a common occurrence. But it does settle eventually. Just take some oct pain med like Tylenol.

Ah - that seems to explain it :thumb: as I had to have a bigger support stem than the OS was originally planning because the knee was so unstable when he opened the knee - the stabbing pain in my shin is one of the things that is stopping me walking and doing stairs. Hopefully it will settle down

I have also stepped down from the strong pain killers this week to Tramadol - so I am noticing the shine pain more than when I was taking morphine
 
No, no pain like that but my hinged knee revision is different than most revisions. The stem is not that long and I don't have the typical look of a hinge. Mine is the new HK Smith & Nephew that Dr. Maale helped invent! The revision has been excellent! It has saved me from having another revision on a number of occasions, when I was "not as careful as I could have been!" :heehee:

Now, if I could just get "Capsie" with the program, I would be soaring! :happydance:

Yes I had to have a longer stem than the OS was originally intending because of the state of the knee when he got in there - so I think the bone is painful because of the metal hammered in there

I hope you get "capsie" under control soon - must be so frustrating that it is holding up your rehab
 
Well,

Yes it does get frustrating, but I am still doing rehab! We have got a routine going where Chris is able to manipulate that sucker back in almost all the way, then I cinch the patella stabilizer brace as tight as it will go and "Capsie" has 2 or 3 good days in a row! :happydance:
 
Hi, I had a revision almost a year ago and I also have the extra long stem with a sleeve as you mention, and I also had shin pain for some time. It does go away, don't remember exactly how long it took,but it does gradualy disappear.
Wishing you. speedy recovery..
 
Oldie, thanks so much for posting Puffin and sharing that info with her. I know she will be relieved to know it's normal and that given time it will resolve itself.
 
Oldie

Thank you so much for posting - good to know the pain should resolve itself in time

I'm so grateful to people for posting about stemmed protheses as they are uncommon these days and there is not a lot of information out there - mine was my first TKR (not a revision) following an accident
 
puffin,

I wish I could have been of more help to you, but I am thankful that Oldie found you! :happydance:
 
Puffin,
How are you my dear :) I hope your shin pain is getting better :groan: maybe you could go back on some stronger meds
Until this passes. I'm thinking of you, &wishing you only the best :SUNsmile:
Hugs......diana :friends:
 
Hi There puffin I'm sorry that you are still having that shin pain. I suppose with that long stem it will take a while to settle down.:sigh: I hope life is starting to get better. Oh that dreaded word "Time" I'm not to good with that so this recovery should be fun!:snork:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Puffin is soaring into the sky
My way, unfortunately for all of us, the secret of recovery is TIME & PATIENCE. We have to have (of find) the PATIENCE to give our knees the TIME they need to heal at their own pace. It is what it is, and it's going to take as long as it's going to take :groan: . So take deep breaths, relax, and accept the slow flow of recovery and make the most of it!


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
puffin, there are better days ahead! If you look at my thread for the last three days, you will see what I mean!:happydance:
 
Josephine shouldn't Puffin get her shin xray'd? What if she has a stress fracture? The pain she described is exactly how I describe mine. Although I really can't walk at all, I would collapse if attempted. What do you think?
Puffin are you using a cane or crutch to lighten the weight on the bad shin? Ice helps relieve the pain in mine. I use the alcohol/water ice packs and they are super because they surround the tibia perfectly. Very soothing.
Take good care Puffin!
 
Dear puffin,
How are you :) I haven't heard from you in awhile, I hope your pain is getting better :SUNsmile:
You've been through so much. I say a :angel: that things will turn around for you.
All my best...hugs coming your way :console2:
Diana
 
I would hope her surgeon is/has taken an xray but the fact is that shin pain is common with stemmed knee implants. However, if she has a crack in the bone, it won't be a stress fracture but possibly one caused by the reaming or the stem itself. Unlikely though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom