Guest viewing is limited

TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is strange how much better the day feels with lower pain levels - I have not spent the day counting down the final hour to the next dose of tablets. Not sure how long I will be able to eke out my 2 strips of morphine tablets though :what:
 
:friends: Hi Puffin :kittykiss: Nice to hear you are feeling a bit more comfortable. It sure helps when the pain slows down sleeep better and catch your breath. This process can take a lot out of us and the drop in pain sure helps. I am hoping the doctor doesn't suggest more pt for me think I am managing better just walking . I used to count my pills trying to make them last but now a little easier pain is slowing down a little. Hope it just keeps getting easier for you. You really deserve a break . You have a really good attitude and will make it through this great. Take care Puffin Holly:angel:
 
Dearest puffin,
Good luck with your app. Tomorrow :) please remember to get some stronger pain-meds :gaah:
You can't recover when you are in pain.
Please keep us posted...
Hugs coming your way :friends:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Saw the hospital PT today - because of the appointment fiasco my OS is away now and not back until mid-August :gaah: It was a little problematic as he said that they see very few cases like mine of recovering from a complex primary TKR with hinged prothesis with support stems - so he could not say how long it will take to heal

The results were a bit of a mixed bag - but he was generally pleased with my progress so far and the good news is that the hospital takes the Bonesmart approach so the PT wants me to focus on gentle flexibility rather than walking/strength
- the bend ROM was excellent (but he didn't tell me what it was :groan: )
- he didn't think my walking was too bad - the technique is good even though the distance isn't. He wants me to stick with the walker/rollator as he feels I should focus on technique/Gait rather than walking with fewer aids but sacrificing technique
- he was happy that I was not doing too much even though I am frustrated that I cannot walk far or drive yet

However there were some issues that he thought were problematic
- the swelling and shin pain were a problem also a jumped in a major way when he felt the knee swelling
- the biggest problem was that my TKR leg does not appear to be straight and still has a slight valgus deformity - however this could be due to one side of the knee being much more swollen than the other and pushing the lower leg sideways
- my extension was not as good at the PT as it is at home. I have a very swollen lower leg and the calf is so swollen that it does not lie flat. At home I do the exercises on the bed that has a little "give" for the swollen calf muscle. Also I'm not sure that sitting in the car for an hour to get to the hospital helped my extension - especially as I had to go in a wheelchair to the PT dept as I could not make the 800-900metre round trip from the parking point
- The tendons at the back of the knee were also very tight but this may be due to trying to walk for 2½ years without a PCL has shortened them a little and they will need more stretching out.

So he has given me a new home exercise programme to work on more extension stretching. He wants me to set up an appointment with my local PT that I saw before the surgery. He will also e-mail the OS to recommend setting up an urgent OS appointment - although I may need to wait a month

So not entirely sure whether I am making progress or not :shrug: - I'm a bit concerned that my knee may not be straight :yikes:
 
Hi, puffin well all and all it doesn't sound like too bad a report. I know at this point you really want to speak with your OS. a little reassurance from him would go a long way right now. As you said there is still swelling and you did have a long time sitting. Your gait sounds good and distance will come. He is pleased with your bend so that's great news. :) You look back at where you were and where you are now. Try not to measure progress on a weekly basis. Easier said than done, I know
Thinking of you
Wanda :kittykiss:
 
Dear puffin,
Did you get better pain meds? He is setting up an urgent app.with your o.s, when he get's back.
I'm really concerned about your pain, it makes everything so much harder :gaah:
Please take care of yourself, ice, elevate, pain meds on time, gentle stretching......
Hugs :console2:
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
I was not able to talk about medications at the appointment yesterday as the OS was not there however for the moment I have found a combination that works pretty well - I take the low release morphine during the day and the tramadol at night. I have enough of the morphine for another 10-12 days so I will see how it goes and whether I need a new prescription.

I am feeling achy today from the new exercises that focus on stretching out the back of the knee a little more :dancy: - my teenage daughter was laughing at me this morning as I attempted to crawl on the bed to get into position for a new exercise where I lie on my stomach and push up with my toes. :spin:

Still worried though in case my knee is not straight :yikes:
 
puffin,

Remember, I am still fighting after a year! Patience my dear friend! When the swelling goes down, you will be able to tell a lot more. We did not have typical TKA's so for us to measure ourselves against anyone else would be crazy. Even people with straight forward TKA's heal at different rates, so be kind to yourself. I have been humbled and thankful as I read stories that have turned out worse than mine.

You can borrow the phrase "just keep swimming" and we will get through this together! :friends:
 
Puffin, you are coming along just fine!! Like Sonja said, your TKR was very complicated and came on the heals of a lot of injury and years of disability. All things considered, you are doing very well. I can certainly relate to having to learn to be patient..sometimes it feels like time is standing still..I feel like its been MONTHS since my surgery and it's hard for me to realize it's only been 4.5 weeks.

This knee is still being a stinker which just makes the time seem to be endless..

Go easy with the new exercises. You are doing great!
 
Dearest puffin,
So happy you have your pain meds for a few more weeks :) you are doing great....how are your exercises feeling?
I :angel: you have patience, pain-free days,& know you have all of us....hugging you & getting you through the tough times.
Love & :console2: coming your way!!!!!!!!!
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Puffin, I worried about my right leg a lot too. It seemed to go in to me and I was obsessed with it. Once my muscles were stronger, it pulled the knee straight and now I can barely notice what I thought was so wrong for about three months. Take it from me---save yourself the stress and just remember that once your quads are working again, the knee will look different.

Also, I am going to tag Jo about the tramadol @Josephine---Jo used tramadol but she also used tylenol with it and had a more effective result. She will tell you how she used it, I can't remember the doses that she used. Kelly
 
Good morning puffin I just read that you are worried that your leg may not be straight. As you already know everyone has been amazed at my lack of swelling.There must have been some however because yesterday the incision on my right knee "moved". It was more to the outside of my knee than the left one but now it's almost dead center! I measured my knee and it had gone down 3cm! My knee looks straighter now than it did before my OP. I think you may find the same thing happens as your swelling continues to subside.
Wanda :)
 
Hi Puffin:kittykiss: I am so sorry that you are having all of these happen to you it makes it so much harder. My doctor mentioned that it is important that the leg is straight but didn't say if he thought my leg was straight. He doesn't go by numbers and just seems to take one thing at a time. When I had my assessment at the hospital pt she said it was 13 but I thought it was straight not sure how she measured that was a month ago. My surgeon didn't say how he did my surgery but my incision is quite long started at 11 inches (48 staples) looks longer then anyone else I have seen maybe it isn't just seems big. Want to ask him if he did have any difficulties it was in really bad shape. He is not even considering the other knee now at this time and that is probably better maybe have the same problem. Your poor little leg has been through so much and probably wonders what happened to it. You are handling all of this really well and that is not easy to do. I know how you feel every day you think it is going better and then something else pops up. I know you will be ok you have a very good outlook and are really trying. Hopefully the surgeon gets it all figured out and it will get easier for you you deserve a break. Going for my leg massage this morning that is a positive thing for me keep thinking it might just help to make it bend. We are thinking about you. Holly :friends: :friends: :puppysmooze:
 
puffin I took Tramadol with paracetamol on a regular basis but I never stinted myself with them.
Here is the chart of 3 weeks of my medication routine

[Bonesmart.org] Puffin is soaring into the sky
 
Hi Puffin,
Sounds like you are still dealing with some issues with straightening and pain. I am also dealing with these two issues. I go see my surgeon for my Post Op on Thrusday... My right knee is the troubled child and just is behind my left knee as far as progress. It always was the knee with the most issues. My pt yesterday got my right knee all stiff and swollen today... doing exercises to bend it. Wishing you the best! I am also trying to wean myself off of the pain meds... but last night I HAD to take some as my legs just ached and hurt so so bad. Best wishes to you on your journey and may we both meet at the end healthy and happy!
 
Thank you everyone for all of the comments and advice

The reason that I felt worried about the straightness of my leg was that the hospital PT that I saw on Tuesday seemed very concerned about it and was going to e-mail the OS about it on his holiday/vacation! However given that I have more swelling on one side it may end up straighter than it looks at the moment

The PT also seemed to think it was unusual for me to have pain and swelling at 6 weeks - although from what I have read on here that doesn't seem to be so unusual

I have an appointment on Monday with the PT I have worked with since the accident
 
skigirl - happy to hear that your leg did straighten up after the swelling went down. I am hoping that this is what happens to my leg.

My way - I am hoping that mine straightens as well - still cannot get rid of the swelling

gazelle7777 - sorry that you are still having so much trouble with one leg

lavender - it was the reaction of the PT that concerned me most
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom