Guest viewing is limited

TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was amazing how those 10 steps to the toilet made me more cheerful :happydance: - unfortunately my walker will never go through the toilet door as the door is slightly smaller than normal and my walker is wider than normal as it had to accomodate my enormous thigh to ankle cast that I had for 8 months post accident

I am feeling very tired and stiff today as I decided to go to the supermarket with my husband yesterday for a little trip out and a chance to walk with my walker - however going shopping later afternoon on a Sunday meant that the shop we started in had sold out of several things we needed - so it ended up being 3 supermarkets and almost 1 hour of hopping around with the walker - which was probably too much so I'm taking it easier today.

My silicone scar gel arrived today so we will see how this goes in reducing the appearance of the scar

Hope everyone is doing OK today :kittykiss:
 
puffin Oh you sound so much better. :) Yep, crazy what makes us happy these days! You can go potty by yourself and I can get 3/4 the way around on the exercise bike.
I can imagine you must be stiff and tired after 3 supermarkets but, hey, now there are no guilt feelings about resting for a day. :snork:

Do take care and take it slow
Wanda
 
Hi Puffin It is nice to hear that you managed to walk to your bathroom without your walker every step makes you feel better and after what you have had to handle you are doing really good. I still keI checked with the ortho clinic that handles my massage and the guy that does them is coming back this week he had time off to be with his wife during her delivery of their little baby. Missed last week but he had something very important to do and looking forward to this week it really seems to make things easier to move. My husband makes sure that my walker is beside the bed at night for night time just to make sure that I don't trip or fall if I wake up and have to get their fast. I understand how you feel sometimes even the things that seem simple to other people are not as easily done as said. I hope they get the pain you are having settled it makes it so much harder to do the things we are trying to do when there is so much pain. It is nice that you daughter was cooking for you can't imagine how I would have managed without my husband. You are doing a great job handling this crazy recovery time and you are going to get through it . I am going to see my surgeon in a couple of weeks he wanted me to see how walking and having the massages would work still stiff but not as bad and not as much pain but still some mostly at night. You have a good way of handling this. My walker has the same problem it doesn't fit in the bathroom so I also had to leave it outside. Wishing you a wonderful week Puffin and may your pain take a long holiday. Have you decided on your plans to go to your nieces wedding might be nice to get away from it all and see your family and friends. Hope it works out for you Holly :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Dear puffin,
How are you feeling ? Good I hope :) wow, 3 super markets. I hope your pain is becoming more
Manageable :angel: now, we don't want to hear you in the (o.d.i.c.) :doh: so, ice, elevate, pain meds.
On time...
Thinking of you always, :friends:
Hugs,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
..... and after those steps forwards we have 2 steps backwards :gaah:

I think I am back as a member of the ODIC but I's not too sure why. Had a very quiet day yesterday and didn't even get to go downstairs because husband had to see an emergency dentist.

So today decided to go to the supermarket - just one this time so much less than Sunday's trip out. I had a short walk around being careful to do my "good gait". However by the time I got home my knee had stiffened up and my knee had swollen up dramatically - it looks as though someone has pumped water into my kneecap it is so swollen and I can no longer walk by myself to the toilet.

So it's back to icing and elevating ...... :groan:
 
Move over and make room for me...:headbang:
Wanda
 
Dear puffin,
I so hope your swelling has gone down :) the o.d.i.c is one club you don't want to belong to :no-fin:
Thinking of you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Will this ever get any better? It seems as though I am making very slow progress and am falling so far behind everyone else who had surgery. It seems impossible to find the right balance between activity and rest as even small efforts seem to set me back into the ODIC :headbang:

I seem to do a lot less than everyone else and spend more time having to rest, ice and elevate - yet still I keep getting severe swelling and pain and am still having to take strong painkillers. I don't do much around the house although I try to walk some laps of the livingroom with my crutches everyday and I do my revised exercises twice a day.

My ROM is OK but my ability to bear weight on leg and modest amounts of walking with the walker seem to tip me over the edge into high levels of pain and swelling. I just seem to spend most of my life elevating and icing and after a couple of months I am getting fed up as I would like to be able to do more, cook a meal, drive, leave the house by myself - but I cannot

It is not helping that I am not sleeping - last night it was 4.30am before I got to sleep because of throbbing - then I woke up fore varying periods at 5am, 6am, 7am, 8am, 9.30am and finally woke at 10.30

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do? Josephine do you have any advice?
 
Gosh Puffin, I wish I had an answer for you. I can not sleep either. Wake up every hour on the hour, and get up about 2am. As far as healing...each of us is going to travel our own journey, some faster, some slower. It has only been 8 weeks now...give yourself time and do not compare your progress to other people. Take care!
 
Puffin, I feel this way about my own recovery as you know. It is really hard to think you are behind other people who had surgery at a similar time. But please don't get down. As we keep saying to each other, we are post traumatic cases and have been through multiple surgeries so our recovery is going to be different to other peoples. If it's any consolation I am still taking narcotics too! And I get throbbing pains and I can't walk very far! You are not alone in all this. However, you are making progress and that is the main thing. Yes, our progress may be slower than most, but it is still progress and is moving in the right direction.

As Gazelle says, every recovery is different. Until I came on this forum I didn't know this and I thought, being "only" 49, that I would sail through this operation because people 20 years older than me managed fine. I am now realising that this is not the case - and as I found in hospital, people 20 years older than me and even the lady with multiple sclerosis actually had better bend in their knee than I did. My surgeon continues to emphasise that I must not compare myself to others - and I think this really applies to you too.

I hope Josephine comes along soon to help you. In the meantime I am sending you lots of virtual hugs ((((()))) and stay strong :console2:
 
Dearest puffin,
I am so sorry to hear about your pain & swelling :console2: please don't compare yourself to anyone else.
Plenty of folks are still on meds. I still ice & elevate after everything, at least 4 times a day. If you are truly concerned
With your progress, could you possibly contact your os ?
I will say a :angel: for you tonight.
Hope tomorrow is a better day :SUNsmile:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
hi puffin I 'm thinking about you and wondering how you feel today? Try not to let the pain and swelling get you down. I know it's easier said than done and after going through this for so long you just want it to be over! :sigh: As everyone else had said it's only been 8 weeks. I think when we see signs of improvement we think they will continue on the up swing without days of going backwards. I know that's how I feel after a great day. I seem to get a bit down if, the next day I am stiffer and have a bit more pain. After 2 days of increased stiffness and discomfort I got up this morning and knew it would be a good day again.
Better days will come and I think you will feel more assured when you see your OS.
:friends: :console2: Wanda
 
Good morning puffin,
I hope you are feeling better today :console2: I know it's hard to keep hearing, your only 8 wks. Out.
Before my surgery I didn't know it could take up to a year to heal :sigh: the fact is we are still early in
Our recoveries. All of us.....you have us here for support :yes: I remember I was at a point were for
2 weeks, I did nothing but ice &elevate, I thought it would never end. I :cry: every day for 3 weeks.
It was a lonely, scary time :scary:
I still think if you are concerned to give your os a call....
Thinking of you always,
Diana :friends:
 
Hang in there Puffin. Probably the only down side of this forum is when you're one of the "turtles"
you want to compare with the "hares." Or if you just feel like a turtle.
I know my OS said to call if I felt like I wasn't progressing, so you could always call to check in. Certainly if you can't sleep because of pain that might be something he can do something about.
 
Hi puffin I've been checking to see how things are going. I hope you are feeling a little better.
Wanda
 
Dear puffin,
Is your swelling going down at all ? I hope you are feeling better :)
Thinking of you always,
Diana :console2:
 
Hi Puffin. From one turtle to another turtle ...... we will get there in the end :yay: Please don't feel down about your recovery, you are progressing so stop comparing yourself to the hares! Hope you are feeling better and your swelling has improved, I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom