Guest viewing is limited

TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear puffin,
Your p.t said what? I am in my 6 week & still have pain, stiffness & baby cramps :gaah: I
Haven't had much swelling since surgery. I still take my pain meds.
I can't believe some people :hissy: you've had an even more complicated surgery.
Your doing fine, don't listen to people like that, they are suppose to help you.....unbelievable :doh:
Take care,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Did not have a great night - woke every 45 minutes but not sure why as the pain does not seem to be worse - just my ability to sleep through it is reduced

The new programme of exercises that the new PT gave me to stretch the back of my knee more seem to be making my kneecap swell more for the past few days (not quite sure how that works) so I think I will restrict myself to one set today. We have suddenly got damp air and a cold northerly wind which seems to increase the level of general achyness
 
puffin, what exercises are they suggesting? I was in an immobilizer brace at the beginning of my saga so I wouldn't do any possible damage to the patella tendon, which Dr. Maale thought I might have! To hear that you are having swelling, to me says "STOP". Ice elevate, and rest! Believe me, everything will get better with time, but you see the mess my "Capsie" is in. I will make a little confession to you that might save you a lot of heartache down the road.. :heehee:

Now promise to keep this a secret because I wouldn't want anyone else to know this, but we are kindred spirits! :wink:

Here it goes.. I am a little HardHeaded :rotfl: And that isn't always a good thing! I played through the pain in Junior High, High School, and College, and so I have an extremely high pain tolerance! For me to say I'm in pain, would be for someone else to say I feel like they should just cut my leg off!

Anyway, my friend, my point is, quit those exercises for now! You and I have longer roads than most, but they will be just as rewarding in the end! I wish you lived closer, but when I visit my grandparents origin of birth; Norway, I will have to stop in! :happydance:
 
Puffin,
Thinking of you, I agree with sonja :angel: if you are still swollen please go easy on the exercises.
Sonja knows of what she speaks :friends:
All my best,
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Hi puffin Oh that bed issue. I had the worst night since surgery last night! I was up and down and all around. i was prepared for an uncomfortable day but I felt great. :shrug:
Did you cut back on the new exercise? I think you're right, it may be for the best to take it slow and build yourself up to more as your knee tolerates.
Could you send some of that cooler air this way?
Wanda
 
RestAssured My way new knee in June
The knee was very swollen this morning and was painful in the night so I have followed your learned advice and not done any of the new PT exercises. I am not sure how much experience the hospital PT has in treating cases such as mine as it was not a PT that I had ever met before. There are 3 of the exercises that he gave me in particular that seem so be causing the pain and swelling
1. where you lie on the bed on your stomach and push the leg/knee up using toes only
2. sitting in a chair doing straight leg lifts
3. sitting with my leg up on a hard surface and having someone push down on the knee to increase tendon stretch at the back - actually this may be the one causing most trouble
Was climbing the walls so went to the supermarket with husband and managed to walk around with my walker for the first time.

I have an appointment on Monday with the local PT who I have been seeing every since the original accident so I am hoping that she will have some ideas.

I am feeling a bit down as I was meant to be flying to Ireland for my niece's wedding in late August - my kids are desperate to go as we have not been able to travel to family events for almost 3 years now. However I am really beginning to wonder if I will be able to manage to travel and then a whole day at a wedding :boohoo:
 
Hey puffin Of course your down. It's been a long haul. My knees tried to run and hide when I read the details of the last exercise. :yikes: Right now none of the above sound like fun to me but that last one ....Wow. I'd wait till I saw my PT on Monday as well.
Hey I made a short trip to the supermarket today too. I was so excited making out my list. Oh dear what has life become?:rotfl: I only stayed for about 15 minutes and only did the perimeter. I made Himself run up and down the aisles as I waited using the cart as a walker. How did you feel after your visit? My legs were tight and I was a little pooped. Goes to show just how much this surgery takes out of you. any way I came home, had a cuppa, popped a couple of percocet and napped for an hour. No lasting after effects from my excursion.
You have a fair amount of time to go before the end of August. You just might feel up to going on the holiday and once there relax,let the family run around and join them when you can. Even if you aren't up to spending the full day at the wedding you may be able to attend some of it.
Wanda :friends:
 
Puffin so sorry! Maybe just try doing things really gentle, not pushing the knee down so much, just put your foot on a rolled up towel and let your leg just settle straight on it's own without any positive pressure on it. Or how about if you just do a slight amount of pressure yourself instead of someone forcing it. I really believe the bonesmart way where if you gauge your exercises according to your healing/ and swelling and not do this stuff when you are really flared up but just be gentle like your knees are baby chicks.
Would you actually be allowed to fly in August? I thought we couldn't fly for a few months. But assuming you are allowed you still have alot of time! A few weeks, sometimes even a week makes a difference.
I did the "on the stomach" exercises right after surgery and it roughed up my incision. Now I feel the nerves in that area so I just don't do those things that bother me. By now I realize that most exercises can be modified to be done without causing more problems. If you think about the goal such as bending knee or strength of quads there is usually another exercise that doesn't hurt so much but still does the job.
Good for you going to the grocery store! You had a bilateral so its harder now but then you are DONE! And you never have to go through this again!
 
I have a lot of swelling today so I think it will have to be a day of resting and icing - problem is there is not much on TV on a summer Sunday in peak Swedish holiday season (I'm watching Diagnosis Murder reruns at the moment but hoping for a Miss Marple later). A little concerning is that I seem to have new bruise under the swelling - wonder if the new exercises caused it :yikes:

I'll have to see what evil Eva the PT says tomorrow although with my current level of new swelling I cannot actually do very much PT
 
@pufffin darn supermarket. I'm a tad uncomfortable as well today. More my ankles and thighs than knees. :headbang:
wanda
 
Dear puffin,
So sorry you are having more swelling, & your exercises :yikes: I agree with brownie, every exercise can
Be modified. The one with the towel sounds the best, just let gravity work for you :ok: please just follow the mantra
You have to get the swelling down before anything.
Thinking of you....
Wishing you better days ahead :SUNsmile:
Diana :friends:
 
UH OH Puffin. Don't use any heat at all now! You have something in there that needs to be checked out. I hope Eva has an answer but maybe you should call your doctors office Monday as well and ask about this. Josephine will know more than them so maybe she can figure this out.
Yes, ice and elevate and be ever so gentle with your movement. I've never heard of getting bruises 6 weeks after the surgery. But I know NOTHING! Poor Puffin! Will wait to hear some other ideas on this.
I agree on tv. I am watching Cuckoo's Nest and reading Second Honeymoon. The book is really good. Knocking it out in 2 days it's THAT good.
 
Sorry to hear about your swelling Puffin. Do as everyone suggests and stop the PT exercises and just ice, rest and elevate. Those new exercises sound a bit too much at the moment - my knee also cringed when I read about them :) Those exact exercises are in my booklet given to me by my PT, but they have told me not to do those ones for now - so maybe this applies to you too :sigh:

As for going to Ireland, I think you should go. It will be something to look forward to and also a good motivator. I agree with My way that you can decide how much you want to join in and adjust your activity based on how you feel, everyone would understand if you need to rest and elevate. It would be such a shame to miss your niece's wedding :flwrysmile:
 
I agree with HorseyLady as long as you are allowed to fly. I just worried about that because somewhere on here I read that someone wasn't allowed to fly for 4 months due to possible blood clots. I may have dreamt that though!
 
3. sitting with my leg up on a hard surface and having someone push down on the knee to increase tendon stretch at the back - actually this may be the one causing most trouble
A little concerning is that I seem to have new bruise under the swelling - wonder if the new exercises caused it
It depends how hard this other person is pushing. Actually, don't have anyone pushing on it. As Brownie said, put you heel on a chair and let gravity do it. If you really must, add some weight, try tying a couple of tins of baked beans in a pair of tights so you can hang them over your knee. That's all you should really need.
 
Here are my answers! No, to 1, 2, and Jo is right; gravity only on number three! Torture is not good for recovery. :umm:
 
That really was an ordeal. Hopefully recovery at home will run a lot smoother. :spin:
 
Dear puffin,
How was your p.t Monday? Was she gentle? I hope you are icing & elevating to get that swelling down.
I know you are :) I have a vision of you with cans of beans hanging from your knees :heehee:
Have a relaxing day, it takes a long time for the swelling to go down, 6 weeks for me. But it will :yes:
Thinking of you always....
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom