THR Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @psychteach so happy for you. You were so scared before the operation….not look at you.

I have a suggestion ……..when I do my final posting soon I am going to ask everyone who got the operation done around the March, April, May 2014 timeframe come back to the forum on the anniversary date and give us an update. I would love to hear how everyone is doing and I think it would be great for people facing the operation to hear how we are doing. What do you think??

Congrats again …… enjoy life…..:loveshwr:
 
I just rode down the driveway and put the bike away. Day 18 is too soon for me. Yes, under the incision is sore that's really it and there are plenty that appreciate your words of support. Keep posting. You remember how good it feels to be in that hospital and freshly home and scared and reading plenty of posts. We all will eventually march on with our lives, but always remember a post here and there will cheer those on behind us. In one of your posts, I came out of a foggy morning hangover and read about your icing and it clicked and now my swelling is about over :)
 
@Hdold I LOVE that idea! I am in :) it will be super fun to hear how everyone is doing. Yes.. Thanks to people like you , I was able to get thru my surgery phobia and get to the good stuff:) ,


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@psychteach, no reason not to post because you are doing so well. Every one recovers at their own pace. We are so proud of your quick and rapid progress. I'm jealous but definitely not annoyed. I too would have been fine if not for my other hip. That really inhibited my operated hops recovery and progress........but watch out after my next THR next week.....I will want to Tour de France race with you!!!! God willing, of course!!!!!
 
Monday is 8 weeks. Today the veterans donation truck came by my house to pick up a scheduled donation of my walker, cane and raised toilet seat. I have had them in the garage and figured it was time to pass them on to someone who needs them. I thank all my friends who coaxed me into posting. I realize how blessed my recovery has been and that on a board like this it is easy for others to compare their recovery to others and feel nervous about where they should be at any given point. I searched for positive recoveries to read before my surgery and I feel obligated to say how amazing I am doing for all those who may be doing the same.All I can say is wow. I have had a cold worse than this :) I am doing everything I could do years ago. I go to gentle yoga and meditation, ride 7 miles a day on my bike , walk limp free with no pain anywhere. I just spent the day painting rooms with my husband. I am completely normal.I have one more session of PT , and am headed out on a hiking trip to the smokey mountains with my husband at the end of this month before I have to head back to school in august .I have a milestone everyday, some small , some huge. I went from a ROM of 40 to 115, and my PT said I will get more in the upcoming months. My body feels so strong, so healthy and I have so much energy. I have spent the last 8 weeks supplementing my diet with vitamins and healthy foods .For those who have surgery coming, please stay positive..I would say for me getting thru the fear if the surgery was the hardest part. Once there, it was easy peazy:) I wish all great healing:)






LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@psychteach, way to go!! Great post!! Donating your recovery tools was a great idea.
Can your family adopt me? I love the Ritz resorts and what a discount?????
 
Well said @psychteach I too have felt funny posting about how easy a time I have had when reading about those who have struggled mightily to just be walking at six weeks.
I know we were a couple of weeks apart in surgery dates, but because of what appears to be shared interests and successful recoveries, I've considered you a bit of a partner in crime....let us know how the Tour De France thing goes:biking::heehee:...My goal is the 100k tour de trikes her in NW Oklahoma next month!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: VF
@Dieter yes I understand the feeling. Although I want to shout it from the roof tops on how good I feel, I am kind of weaning off the board as i do not want to offend or make anyone feel bad who it is taking a little longer to reach.We have seem to be on a similar path of recovery . A really good one and it is nice to share that with someone who understands and is reaping the amazing rewards from it . The biking had been my motivation and I believe really has helped me so much in this process. Keep me updated on your progress!!! Tour de France here we come!


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Yep, whether you are doing well or not so well, we all share a little piece of history and we all need to hear from each other long term. Have a great weekend, all...
 
@psychteach Reading up on your thread and that you started stationary biking around 2 weeks. I'm into my third week and have a spinning bike at home. Didn't even think of jumping on it but what a great idea! So when you started how long did you ride for? I don't have anything to measure distance, can only measure time. Can you give me some kind of guidelines of how you increased your resistance time on the bike etc.

I'm headed to the beach the first week of August and it's a great beach for riding your bike on. Long beach, hard sand etc and I really really want to be able to gently ride my bike with my friends so I'm going to get started on my spin bike. Thanks!
 
@psychteach ,Your thread about your journey is one of the kinds i like to read.On 7-2-14 i had bilateral THR and i too have been blessed with an easy recovery. Day 24 ,today, i am starting on the St. bike and starting to swim. Thanks for the motivation you have given us that follow in your hipsteps.
 
@aprilc . Yes biking I believe is what has made my recovery so fast. I started riding 5 minutes at 2 weeks. No resistance. I did that for a week. About week three I moved up to 10 minutes , 15 minutes week 4 ( about 4 miles) I rode 20 minutes 5 mikes weeks 6-9. Now week 10 I ride 30 minutes 7 miles a day. My leg is so so strong ! I see muscle definition in the first 4 weeks. Good luck!! Ride that bike :)






LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@Michegon thank you!!! I must say this recovery has been smooth as ever. I believe staying positive, choosing to stay away from narc drugs and taking supplements and riding my bike has worked for me. I am so so surprised on how easy this has been. I now am on week 10 on Monday and I never think of my hip anymore.. I am normal:) I wish you a positive wonderful recovery!!!


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Monday is week 10. I have been off board for last few weeks .. Living life to the fullest:) I checked in tonight to see how all are doing. I am feeling so great! Sleep on operated side, sleep through night. Was away hiking this past weekend . No pain!!!! Visited my daughter in winter park , wore heels and strolled the shops before dinner. Riding 7 miles a day on my bike. Walking over 3 miles a day .Muscle definition is so tight now in operated leg. Walk like my old self.. No limp at all.. Husband said tonight how he still can't get used to me walking the way I used to and being able to walk at a normal pace and I am right there with him! I go back to school for teacher planning week in 2 weeks .. It is amazing the way I left the school year, limping walking in pain to being completely normal.for all those newly recovering.. Stay positive , ride the stationary bike and take supplements!!! I truly believe those three things , along with an amazing doctor, has made this recovery incredibly easy
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side
update, @psychteach! So pleased that things are going so well for you. These man made hips are the bomb! I went to school years ago in Winter Park--Rollins College--got my undergraduate degree there. Beautiful town.
 
So happy for you (and me too). I am feeling so good, it's like a bad dream what led up to the surgery, all the anxiety.
 
@psychteach it's so good to hear that you're doing great! I also feel that I've had a miraculous recovery, in that the pain was not at all what I expected. I understand what you mean about not posting how great you feel - I sometimes feel a little guilty doing that, but it think it's important for newbies to have hope that things will go well. My incision is still a bit sore, but it's longer than most (about 8 inches). My hip doesn't hurt at all; my knees are asking for attention now. :chinstroke: :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom