THR Previous Experience Really Helps

Hi @BradleyStu
They do wrench our leg from my understanding. I've never witnessed the dislocation process.....thankfully I was taking a snooze :yawn: :sleep:
I always imagine it must be like when you cut up a whole chicken and you use force to separate some of the pieces. Ugh!

I had a bruise that didn't appear in the area of my knee until 17-18 days post op. It became sore also.
Hopefully your ice therapy is helping.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend!
 
Yesterday's icing experiment turned out to be a dismal failure. As I spent a good portion of the night in unbearable, throbbing pain. And the only way I could calm it down was with my Cold Rush Ice therapy machine. However, I eventually did get a few hours of drug-induced shut eye. Nevertheless, it was by far the worst night I've yet to experience since coming home from the hospital.

That, and the almost unbearable pain associated with the blood/bruise flow when first dropping my leg off the side of the bed first thing in the morning made for an experience I'd very much like to avoid having ever again.

With that being said, does anyone know of some way I might be able to minimize that blood/bruise transfer when changing leg positions?

I would sincerely appreciate any and all suggestions.
 
When have you seen your OS?
Wonder if he thinks this is any cause for concern...
Let's ask @Josephine to weigh in.
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

does anyone know of some way I might be able to minimize that blood/bruise transfer when changing leg positions?
Can you explain what you mean by this?
 
Mojo333:

I'm going to see my surgeon tomorrow (Monday). However, neither my home R/N or my physical therapist have expressed any great concern.

My concerns are that I'm still experiencing quite a bit of swelling being this far out from my procedure date. And the fact that while I am improving a little bit every day, I'm nowhere near as far along as I was during my previous procedure/rehabilitation.

Today's plan of action is to keep a compression stocking on (and continues icing) until I see my surgeon tomorrow.

I'll report back what my surgeon has to say on Monday.

And thank you so much for your concern. It is genuinely appreciated.
 
Hello Josephine, and thank you for your inquiry.

What I was attempting to describe is the painful sensation that occurs when I reposition my leg from vertical to horizontal. When I can feel the blood painfully flowing through the bruised area. For example, when I stand up after I've been lying down, I can feel the blood reluctantly surging back through the bruised area.

Essentially, any time I make a change of position, I experience the painful surge of my blood passing through the bruised area of my leg. I didn't start having this experience until the bruised area on my hip/leg began its southern migration. Since then the sensation has seemingly gotten slightly less painful with each passing day, e.g., 2-days ago it was unbearable, while this morning it was noticeably less painful. But it was still very painful nonetheless.

I was asking if anyone on BoneSmart might be aware of some way to minimize, or completely eliminate this painful sensation?

Thank you again for your concern. I sincerely appreciate it.
 
when I reposition my leg from vertical to horizontal. When I can feel the blood painfully flowing through the bruised area. For example, when I stand up after I've been lying down, I can feel the blood reluctantly surging back through the bruised area.
Ah now I recognise it! I remember getting that sensation with both knees and with a very bad attack of cellulitis. Felt like my leg was going to explode!

What happens is this - fluid in the legs is governed by gravity. So during the day, we get accustomed to the amount of fluid in the legs.

[Bonesmart.org] Previous Experience Really Helps



But when we lay flat, the fluid levels out in the body from foot to head like this

[Bonesmart.org] Previous Experience Really Helps


However, this happens relatively gently so we don't tend to notice it. But when we get to our feet, everything rushes down like a flood and this we are acutely aware of because it's painful! But there's actually not a lot we can do about it except to grit our teeth and wait for it to stop!
 
That’s exactly what I felt when I had cellulitis of my ankle. That growing pain (start out mild and get stronger) when I put my leg down and gravity took over.
 
Josephine:

Your description of the "sensation" is just about perfect. It literally does feel like it's going to explode!

And as I suspected, there's nothing really that can be done to minimize the pain. Oh well, like I previously mentioned, it seems to be getting a little less painful with every last day. But it certainly makes my mornings something I really don't look forward too. But, it is what it is. Another temporary obstacle that I'll simply overcome.

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I sincerely appreciate all of the help that you and the other wonderful members of BoneSmart so graciously provide. I can't even imagine how much harder it would be to go through something like this without the support and encouragement I receive from the BoneSmart community.

You all are truly a blessing.
 
Hope today brings reassurance from your surgeon.
Hope all eases sooner than later.:)
 
Josephine:

Unfortunately, due to my widespread osteoarthritis I've been prescribed the strongest pain meds available for several years (dilaudid, morphine, etc.) To the point they aren't nearly as effective as they need to be anymore. There's really nothing I can do about it at this point.

To give you an example of how bad my osteoarthritis has been, I haven't been able to take a unassisted step for over 5-years now. I've been unable to walk at all numerous times, for several days. I'm hoping this most recent procedure will eventually break that spell.

I refuse to let this horrible disease ruin the rest of my life.
 
I refuse to let this horrible disease ruin the rest of my life.
And Good for You...I'm with you.

Josephine will have her take on the medication you may benefit from...and I'm with you on the pain meds not touching the OA pain.
I also tried many of the aforementioned medications with only the horrid side effects and no pain relief. Didn't take long enough to think that affected usefulness...just saw it didn't help bone in bone OA pain.

That being said, imagine my surprise at how it helped my recovery...even extra strength Tylenol was effective in proper dosages at three months out.:)
It can help with other types of pain, like after surgery.
Might want to give it a go.
You are in early days and have lots of healing to do.
Hope today is a Good Day @BradleyStu :SUNsmile:
 
Mojo333:

I have also been talking 800 mg. Ibuprofen with some degree of pain relief. Eventually I plan on switching over to Tylenol once my inflammation has subsided a bit. I did that with my previous hip replacement with some success, plus it provides my G.I. with some degree of relief.

Yesterdays visit to the doctors office has unfortunately set me back quite a bit. As I was up almost all night again with uncontrollable pain, swelling, etc. So now I'm once again regulated to remaining as still as possible while icing everything that I can reach. Hopefully, I'll be able to settle everything down to a more bearable level within the next 24-hours.

I'll report back tomorrow on how successful (or unsuccessful) todays efforts eventually turn out.

And again, thank you so much for your concern. I sincerely appreciate it.
 
As I was up almost all night again with uncontrollable pain, swelling, etc. So now I'm once again regulated to remaining as still as possible while icing everything that I can reach. Hopefully, I'll be able to settle everything down to a more bearable level within the next 24-hours.

Oh my stars....that's no good.
I have heard that cellulitis is very painful...did you say whether they thought this was a possibility or did they test for that?
I am praying all eases sooner than later...try to hang in there.:ice:
Healing mojo coming your way!
 
I have also been talking 800 mg. Ibuprofen with some degree of pain relief. Eventually I plan on switching over to Tylenol once my inflammation has subsided a bit. I did that with my previous hip replacement with some success, plus it provides my G.I. with some degree of relief.
That's not a good plan! For one thing, ibuprofen is a rubbish pain med and for another, Tylenol is just as good at being an anti-inflammatory as NSAIDs anyway. Plus it's a MUCH better pain med. I suggest you take 1,000mg of Tylenol 4 times a day along with the dilaudid and morphine. They'll all go together pretty well - provided neither of them have any Tylenol (acetaminophen) in them.
 
Mojo333:

I'm pretty certain that my current situation is primarily attributable to (once again) over doing it. Because after my doctor's appointment I had a visit from my home physical therapist, wherein we went over a few exercises that I should be doing once I've got the swelling and pain under better control.

The combination of that and all of the additional walking involved with the doctors appointment simply took a roll on me. Which I really did expect, I just didn't expect it to be so dramatic.

However, since my latest post I've managed to get the majority of the pain and swelling under control. To a point that at least now I can rest comfortably. Which is about all I could really ask for, for the time being.

I'll report back if anything changes.
 
That's that healing mojo I sent your way (your welcome):heehee:

Resting it up after too much activity certainly doesn't hurt either.:shrug:
Hope you have a better day tomorrow!
 
Josephine:

Although I seem to get noticeable pain/inflammation relief from taking 800 mg. of Ibuprofen 3-times a day. Because I notice a significant difference when I stop taking it for any period of time, so I know that it does provide at least some relief. I would still prefer to take something easier on my stomach.

So tomorrow I'll start a Tylenol regime as you advised. Because as I had previously mentioned, Tylenol seems to be equally as effective, while supposedly being easier on my stomach. And if you recommend it, it has to be a better alternative. I have that much confidence in your recommendations.

Thank you for your recommendation. I'll let you know how it works out.
 
@BradleyStu
How are things going?
I hope your days have been a bit easier!
Just wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts!
 
Back
Top Bottom