Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

@GrannyC thank you so much for your thoughts on my hip. I have rested a lot today (glued to CNN and the day full of Trump offending everyone!) because yesterday I was sitting more. I've not noticed an improvement yet since going back to my cane more. I am just so tender on that side and not sure how normal that is at 8.5weeks. I guess I just gotta hang tight until Thursday. In the meantime I'm silently plotting my comeback. Haha Daydreaming of all the things I'm going to do come spring, my "to-do" list is growing rapidly. Hoping by Easter I'll be hop hop hopping down a bunny trail, carrot nibbling only!!! I need to work off all this choccie I've consumed over the past months...using choccie as my emotional soother is coming to an end. I need to substitute it for something better like celery. Why can't celery taste like chocolate and Vino? 21St century people, this should be a thing!!! Hahaha

Alright, enough blathering....grabbing a fresh icepack and turning off CNN for the night.
....right after this next segment. Haha
 
Hope today brings some improvements @danabanana. Hope the cane helps with your gait a bit. I know I had a spot near incision that stayed tender for some time. Hopefully this is just an annoying part of healing.
 
Try not to stress too much, bad for our immune system.
Praying for all to ease..:praying:
Hope today is better!
 
The sense of humor is never on sabbatical! You're a hoot! @danabanana
Hopefully you can get through another week until your doctor visit.
Prayers for a logical explanation to your pain so that you can finally move forward.

If chocolate is what's keeping you going now, so be it, you can work it off once you're feeling stronger.
We're rooting for you, Dana. Wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend! :loveshwr:
 
Had a outing today with hubby. My car (I've affectionately named "Whiplash")was yelling at hubby yesterday via its computer programming, that an oil change was due. A big red exclamation mark flashes in the screen...and just incase you don't notice that, there's an obnoxious noise to alert you. Haha So we had a romantic date in the car at Mr Lube, sipping complimentary H2O, while 3 people tag teamed my car. More action than both my car and I have had in ages! HAHAHA
Post Mr Lube, we continued the romance by going to Walmart for salt melt and gummy bears, where we gathered sympathetic looks as I cane hobbled around. I would have used a scooter but they were all being used. Hubby was relieved. Hahahaha

Hubby then took me to the gas station.

So in closing....our date went Lube, tag team, gummy bears and gas. Pretty typical. Hahahaha
 
Now it's ice, ice baby! I'm pooped. That hobbling is exhausting!!! I'm proud of me though, clocking just shy of 6000 steps today. They were slow and careful steps and couldn't have managed without my cane. I'm worried though...I've had this cane for so long, over a year off and on, that it's hard to fathom ever not needing it. Sigh. I'm sure it will come....I know, I know, early days still. Y'all voices are echoing in my head. So back to my happy bunny trail thoughts and this:
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

:heehee:
 
6000 steps - that’s 3 miles! I’ve just checked that out. I would think that you are proud of yourself.....BUT is it too much? I am very wimpish because of fear of exacerbating incision and spasms and have followed @GrannyC advice. At 6 half weeks, I have spent all week walking just 10 mins to same cafe on 2 sticks. Physiotherapist told me to add on only another very short distance i.e. just as far as the posh ladies clothes shop that no one ever goes in (too expensive). That is only another 3 minutes! Tomorrow will be the first time that I have walked out on my own (because he’s up in Birmingham watching THE TEAM! @Jackie222 ).

I certainly feel embarrassed at walking out still with 2 sticks but it is working. Incision has settled, and spasms are tolerable. Would you still hobble with two sticks? Is your stick a chunky low one like we have in UK or one at elbow bend height like the folding one I had pre-op? I’m just wondering if it’s giving your hip enough support while it’s still healing

Do you have a good chiropractor to give you some advice? I know that Josephine likes chiropractors and mine is brilliant. He deals with lots of post op hip replacements.

Good luck for 18th Dana. One thing for sure, it won’t stay like this and then you’ll have difficulty remembering.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

So this is my steps for today. That's all day...not just my outing. I'm generally getting 4000 on average which is the daily around the house accumulated steps, slow and in spurts. Is that too much, do you think?
 
Last edited:
@Descant I don't have a chiro. I used to see one 3x a week for a year when I was 14 after I broke my tailbone. Since then I've preferred Massage Therapy and saw one often previous to the core decompression thinking then that my aching hip and groin just arthritis. I'm too scared to see a chiro now.... But I'm not opposed to it if it's something that could help.
My cane is a standard walking cane length, so it comes up to the hip, sized to use as your hand grabs the handle and you can lean into it with each stride. It looks like this one. Below is me in action...

[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

[Bonesmart.org] Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

:heehee:
 
Don’t know for sure about distance @danabanana. Ashamed to say 6,000 is my current goal but I frequently go over that, but I have a hip going. A few months go the magic 10,000 was routine. I think a lot of factors go into what is right for the individual. If the 6,000 wipes you out for a couple of days afterwards and muscles/pain increases, maybe see if a bit of cutback helps, then slowly increase 500 a day at a time. Just try to take it relatively easy until you see doc.
 
Wow @danabanana didn't realise how much you'd aged, those aches and pains are really taking it out on you. I really hope that in all the bad weather recently you were also wearing a hat and had thick stockings on. But good on you for keeping the romance alive with your hubby.
Loved your chart about wine/beer.
Seriously though hope you are having a better day.
 
Dana, you're precious!
Your good humor never ceases to amaze me.
I think you're clocking some steps there girl, don't cut yourself short. It's still early days.
Nice to read you and hubby had an outing. Not the most romantic, but that will come in due time.
Hope you have a great weekend!
@danabanana
 
Dana, you've been holding out on us and are putting me to shame. My target is 6000 steps right now. I have a desk job and don't always hit the target unless I go dancing or its a cardio day at the gym (it doesn't give me credit for my other exercises). On a day snuggling in at home, I don't even come close!
 
Clearly, I need to get a FitBit.

Hope there was some necking (is "necking" still something done?) going on in that car. Take care, @danabanana. Hoping for a good visit to the doc coming up. Anxious to hear what the results are. Keep up the humor (even though I didn't think you wouldn't); get tension breaking and anxiety control. Lots of hugs to take you through the weekend.
 
Last edited:
That picture is so funny @danabanana. You can see how cheerful she is though we don’t know of course how many steps she has done or what sort of secret mission she has just been on. I guess first port of call is your OS and he may very well not be critical about the PT and hopefully will be able to sort you out.

Chiros are like all therapists, in asmuch as there are good and bad ones, so best to have a recommendation. The one I see I just struck lucky. He sorted out in one treatment, the lower leg muscle pain that I had had for several months prior to the hip surgery.

The amount of exercise is so tricky at this stage, but I don’t think I have ever heard Josephine or the other experienced advisors saying “you’re just plain lazy and should be knocking yourself out more”. Always the message is do less, rest, ice and support if hurting. Then slowly increase walking. Just so frustrating.

That’s a very smart stick. The NHS ones that I have are shorter, simpler and more chunky. My arm is straighter than hers. Almost straight I would say, just at a bit of an angle. Lots of people keeping an eye on you
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom