Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op LTHR:My new hip! :<

Couldn't stop laughing at the post about putting sox on. I have the same problem and have to position my body/leg, arm in exactly the right position or else it's not gonna work. Get all positioned up then realise sox are still in the drawer! So start again. Hubby says I screw my face up, close my eyes, bite lower lip - this is to try and not swear like a trooper like I was earlier on. But oh what an achievement when the sock is on. I have also developed a means of getting sox off bad leg - method one is hooking big toe from good leg to sox and then wiggling it all the way down and then pinging sock halfway across bedroom floor. This last bit has become a daily challenge to see how far I can ping it. Method two is to stand on toe end of sock pull foot out and yes then ping it across the floor. Oh I've just had a panic - what if the OS decide that we have to demonstrate sox on and off before they give us the all clear. Gonna have to up my game a tad.
Sorry to hear about your granddaughter, hope she's getting better.
 
I still struggle with socks also. Actually, just one sock, singular. Surgical hip being the problem child.
I get them on but not like I could 5 yrs ago....zip, zip.
I'd love to watch a putting on socks reel, socks bloopers for hippies, naughty words and all!
Laughing at some of this stuff diffuses the frustration and let's us know we're not alone in our struggles
or recovery.
 
Am I the only one using one of those sock aid gadgets? It is pretty handy for getting a sock on my operated leg. I take them off using the method described by @Tomgirl, including the pinging across the room in the direction of the laundry basket.
 
I'm sure it's not a surprise to many on this site, but I was too stubborn to get a grabber or a sock gadget or anything other than a walker and cane. During the first couple of weeks, when I wore socks (usually only at bedtime), my sock aid was my 16 yo son (I'm sure he loved the job, but I do control his money and his car). At about 2 weeks, I could bend and twist just enough to barely get the toes into the sock and then slide the foot forward to get it on most of the way. Weirdly (?), reaching from the heel was easier than getting to the toes, so I could pull them the rest of the way up and pull then off by hooking a finger in. Now I may have to try the pinging method of taking them off - sounds like a lot more fun!

Some of the descriptions reminded me of my son when he was an infant, though. We had to keep shoes on him if we wanted to keep socks on him. From birth, he did this cricket motion with his feet and would have his socks off within 30 seconds of you putting them on!
 
To be perfectly honest @jaydub63
I have a sock gadget. It's sitting in my closet in the packaging it came in. I'm stubborn :tantrum: My feelings are....
I went through surgery expecting the end result to be that I could easily and effectively perform
the tasks I once took for granted.
I don't want to need a sock aid :tantrum2: remember......stubborn.
Please talk me into sensibility :heehee:
 
Yay! You're more stubborn @SaraK
At least I bought one :chuckmarch:
It's in my closet collecting dust but I bought one :chuckmarch:
Tease ya cuz I luv ya :loveshwr: :friends:
 
@danabanana , get the sock aide, it is somewhat humiliating to need an old person's tool, but it works. My right hip was so bad that I had to use the sock aide a year before the surgery. Grabbers are great too- have one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. Since surgery I have developed butter fingers and am still on bend restriction. Please be careful getting in and out of the car in wet weather. My first solo drive to go to church last Sunday, I slipped walking (with the cane) to the car and if it were not for the car, I would have face planted in the driveway. As it was, I crashed onto the side of the car and screamed so loudly that my hubby came running out of the house in a panic. My knee took the brunt of the hit, but it is OK after a few days. Winter weather is the pits. My next hip will be done during the summer!
 
@Layla I'm sure I'll chuck it in the corner as soon as I am done with hip precautions. And if was warmer I might not have bothered as I rarely wear socks in the warmer months unless I'm working out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
Sock talk OMG I just posted on my triumphant sock soiree :happydance:

I agree with the other people walk with cane in house and your hubby could drive you around just to get out
 
@danabanana, I loved the socck aid. Actually, I liked all the tools that helped my independence. I didn’t have anyone around most of the time so they were great for me.
 
Last edited:
I bought the grabber while in hospital but I refused the sock put-er-on-er! I definitely had my moments where I kinda wished I had gotten one but overall, I'm okay with the challenge of the process....and while I may not be channeling the swan princess, I'm managing to not fall on my face so that's a win! :heehee:
 
@danabanana I was reading back a bit to catch up on your thread and saw where you said your surgeon promoted PT. I found that interesting as my surgeon told me several times I didn't need any PT for hip replacement recovery. I did go a couple times but only a couple and then stopped. I feel like I'm doing just fine without it. He said the hip would continue to get better and it does. Very gradually range of motion increases. I'm sure you've picked up that they don't promote PT here on the forum either so I think you are just fine without it. I can get socks on much better than before surgery (never did get a sock thing either) and manage to cut toenails as well so I'm happy. I can't do it all quite as easily as I did maybe ten years ago but it sure is a lot better than at this time last year.

I see Josephine has been on the forum quite a bit today. If she doesn't answer your question on your thigh in the next day or so, it might be a good idea to tag her and ask the question again. I don't think she is ignoring you or anyone else but I'm sure she gets inundated with questions making it easy to miss one now and then. I tagged her once and never heard either but I'm sure it was for that same reason.

I hope you are staying warm way up north there!! Not good days to venture outside.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom