THR Post Op Day 6---When will the tilting stop?

Happy One Month Anniversary!
A flower for your special day :flwrysmile:
Have a good one! :)
@FayeL
 
Happy One month hipversary!:loveshwr:
Hope today is a Good Day, friend.
 
Hello fellow Canadian, I’m in Ontario.

I’ve just had my second THR on day 8 of recovery.

My advice is to listen to your body. If you feel pain slow down as your muscles are still in recovery and healing mode. There will be lots of time to walk hundreds of miles once you’re healed.

After my first THR which has been so completely different than this one I knew my leg was now longer than the other. I am hoping this new hip will resolve the issue but my gut at this point says it might not. Having said that if I have to wear a heel insert afterwards that is nothing compared to the relief I feel of having no hip pain.

So go slow and heal. Listen to your body as it knows what is best! :)
 
How are you doing? I'm assuming well as I've noticed you bopping around on the forum offering support. One month already tomorrow!
Hi Layla- you are leading by example! ( in the way that you so clearly are a source of unconditional support and comfort for so many of us here) - you are so right! I am feeling more confident in my recovery and that frees up a lot of psychological and emotional space to be there for others in our community! (Probably also a bit circular- the more you are there in compassion for others, the more you can show the same attitude to yourself and all your anxieties and gremlins!)

I was somewhat hesitant to "celebrate" one month, due to the nagging doubts and fears that I had not successfully reached the one month functional "milestones" in my recovery; but with the help of those here, I have "kicked that to the curb" and look at the "long game."

I am also so thankful for that simple drawing we have referenced so many times here (the reality vs expectations recovery curve)- If I was a bit more tech savvy- I would set it up as my screen saver!

I am now in week 2 of NO exercises (except walking 15 minutes multiple times per day and shorter walks every hour or so) with (almost) all the rest of my time in the recliner with ice, except for some minor cleaning up in the kitchen and minor meal prep, and am fully convinced this is the way to go! Thank goodness for this forum- I could easily have adopted my (baseline) attitude of "head down and get the job done" and kept pushing with the physio exercises, thinking if I'm sore its because these muscles need to get stronger and just kept on going pushing (to my long term detriment no doubt.)

I have also spent time reading the recovery threads of those further along, starting at their "page 1" and moving through their journeys- wow- so many people just like me!!! Such a comfort and source of hope and strength!!

@Layla @Mojo333 ; Thank you for helping me to celebrate my 1 month; Your kindness means the world.
 
@FayeL So good to read that you are making progress with this recovery. One month out is still early days but it sure sounds like you have got this recovery business under control. The slow and steady approach works every time. Long may your progress continue!
 
Hello @FayeL Happy one month anniversary! I love that you are now looking at the "long game" and what a smart girl you are! :egypdance: I am somewhere in my third month of recovery and trust me, I still have days when I rail at the slowness of some certain muscles to heal, that will remain unmentioned... I've decided they love the attention so I am ignoring them.
On to the second month of healing! :froggies:
 
Thank you for the kind words, Faye. This community gave me so much in my recovery that it's easy to return the favor. Had it not been for BoneSmart and my parents who also experienced joint replacement, I think I would have been so freaked out by the prospect! Actually I was pretty anxious, but the constant support and encouragement made it so much easier and probably saved my surgeon's office a few phone calls. We find so many similarities in our recoveries and I found it consoling to throw out concerns and quickly learn many experienced the same. You realize that others understand through personal experience and therefore you trust, relax and feel comforted.

You're right, that little purple post it note with the squiggly lines representing recovery has been a shot of reality and source of relief to many. I love that simple little drawing!

You're doing this right, Faye. You have a healthy attitude and aren't pushing it, but instead letting it happen. It will take you far and keep you from being sidelined in the ODIC. Keep on doing what you're doing...it's working.
Hugs and a terrific Tuesday to you! :)
@FayeL
 
Hello my hippy peeps!

I wanted to share my good news from my post-op visit with the surgeon- all looks good on the X-ray and he reassured me that groin, thigh, butt pain (pretty much any tweak one might feel up and down the chain) is entirely "normal and expected" at this stage of recovery and not concerning at this point (his threshold for concern is worsening and persistent pain.) He also shared that the "acute recovery" phase is at least 3 months and that even though the approach was a lateral one, the majority of work happened in the groin area, and to expect and accept aches, spasms etc. All quite reassuring! (and its amazing how having your symptoms validated seems to take the wind out of them!)

So , happily, I can say that I am not dreading my "6 week anniversary" tomorrow like I have past anniversaries, where I felt "behind" the recovery curve, and am simply happy and grateful that I am where I am (for the moment anyhow....so many of us now know the "roller coaster" ride that this recovery process often is- both physically and psychologically!)

Thanking all of you again for your wisdom, kindness, compassion and support! Wishing all my fellow travellers a wonderful almost weekend!
 
Glad your OS appointment was reassuring and happy weeks hipversary.
Your body is still healing and there are certainly niggles that will crop up as you become more active.
All well worth it in the end.
Hope your weekend is sweet.
 
(and its amazing how having your symptoms validated seems to take the wind out of them!)

This is so true!!

It's nice to read your post op update. All great news.
Wishing you a Happy Six Week Anniversary and a lovely weekend!
Hope it's a warm and sunny one in your area. :SUNsmile:
 
I was somewhat hesitant to "celebrate" one month, due to the nagging doubts and fears that I had not successfully reached the one month functional "milestones" in my recovery; but with the help of those here, I have "kicked that to the curb" and look at the "long game."
[/QUOTE
@FayeL :wave:
Your post op visit sounds so positive! Good for you, you were able to review this forum's guidelines, think it over and take a step or two back. Now look at you!! I am really so proud of you!

I like your view now of giving it back to others on the forum.. Congratulations in getting a good report and getting your life back!
 
Last edited:
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Faye :)
I hope you continue to do well.
Would love to hear an update again one of these days, when you have the time. Wishing you a lovely Thursday and weekend as you continue on the journey!
@FayeL
 
:hi: @FayeL
We haven't heard from you in too long. :sad:
Wondering how you're doing on this special day...Happy Three Month Anniversary!
We'd love to read all about your progress if you care to share next time you're on the forum. Want to wish you a Merry Christmas and best wishes for a fabulous New Year! :)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom