Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Day 6---When will the tilting stop?

@CricketHip
I've caught my foot or toe a few times too. It hurts! But then it doesn't... I bet you just aggravated some soft tissue that was already aggravated.. I hope by now you are already forgetting about it

Thank you for your words of reassurance (they go such a long way!!) You were so right! All but forgotten with only a bruise on both sides of my second toe to remind me ! (thanks to the ASA for blood thinning precautions)
 
Hey @CricketHip-
Since I started the three exercises from PT- they are for helping correct an anterior tilt of my left hip- my ITB almost immediately backed off..
Can you describe those three exercises? I would love my ITB to "back off" as well! Also- any guidance re. dosage of magnesium?
 
@FayeL I would hesitate to give you what is working for me since they are specific to personal issues with my alignment.
Especially since you are barely at 3 weeks recovery vs. my Recovery time of three months. That’s a big difference in what they are having me do, there’s no way I could have completed my current routine at three weeks. I hope you understand. :) :-) (:

Wait until you get further along and then you can talk to your OS, or a physical therapist if the IT band is still giving you as much grief.
I am sad to say at this point ice, rest and elevation are your best friends and gentle walking. You’ll get there sooner than you think!

Heres a great article on Magnesium. :flwrysmile:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/
 
@CricketHip
I would hesitate to give you what is working for me since they are specific to personal issues with my alignment.

I totally get it because, even though I am a late arrival to the ODIC, I (like many in this forum) could be the "poster girl!"

I also appreciate the reference to "early days" at three weeks post- the days are soooo long that it sometimes feels like I have been post-op forever!!!!
 
Hello :wave: @FayeL
Happy Three Week Anniversary!
I'll bet navigating three floors of concrete stairs felt like a challenge. Thankfully you made it down safely.
I'm happy to hear you're doing better physically, feeling more confident mentally and realizing there are ups and downs, but you're adjusting by going with the flow. I'm sorry sleep continues to be an issue, but while you have the freedom and opportunity, try to sneak in a nap here and there if you're able. I'm sure your sleep will regulate soon.

Thanks for the kind words. The weather was sunny and beautiful in my area today, a perfect Fall day. More on tap for tomorrow. I hope you're enjoying some of the same in your area. :SUNsmile: Wishing you a lovely weekend! Stop by when your bored, were always here! :wink:
 
@FayeL I love your analogy about the psychiatrist office in a reptile museum. I could NOT go! It IS so great to hear all these experiences of recovery variations on this forum and learn there are all sorts of normal. My THR was June 20. My insomnia disappeared some weeks ago. I thought this sleeplessness was my new life, but happily, it wasn’t! More recently I’m able to sleep in most positions, gradually being able to curl up on my operated side too. Yesterday I attended a Fiber festival, it involved walking the county fairgrounds. I took my cane, and sat to rest a few times. It was pretty taxing. I was satisfied attending briefly. Even that was almost too much. The puzzled responses I was getting from friends I saw was “Is this normal?” Because of this forum I was able to confidently say, yes. It is. I think your attitude is positive and you are figuring out how to survive best you can. It can be a rocky road, but we will get there! (In my early weeks I told my husband to understand- I lived for dinner. It was the highlight of my lonely days, so humor me when I begin talking about dinner at breakfast time).

Yesterday was unusually warm here. We ate dinner outside, very unusual to have warm evenings in the Adirondacks this time of year. The fall colors have begun to change significant up north!
 
Hello all- general call out for some guidance (and hopefully, reassurance!!) about some nagging symptoms here into my 3 and 1/2 th week post-op. I have been having some aching sensation at the front of my operative hip, about the size of a smallish peach pit, a few inches lateral to my pubic bone that I have "self-diagnosed" (keep me away from the internet!) with an iliopsoas inflammation/possible early bursitis/possible early tendinitis, which is exacerbated by exercises targeting the hip flexor muscles, like the leg lifts (a single leg march) exercise given to me by the hospital physio (which the physio has changed to another exercise due to my feedback, which also produces the aching so I have backed off entirely from them.)

Last night I was looking at some threads here and read about people experiencing an iliopsoas tendinitis that was ultimately found to be due to rubbing of the muscle by a (too) large acetabular cup, resulting in the need for steroid injections, a surgical lengthening of the iliopsoas or in some cases, a revision surgery to replace the cup. I know these are all extreme situations and a much more infrequent cause of iliopsoas irritation then simply the body accommodating the soft tissue changes and healing from the surgery. As an added worry/risk factor, when I was first being investigated for my hip symptoms 6 years ago, I was told that I have a "mild congenital hip dysplasia" with very shallow acetabulum that may have increased my risk for OA (although it is so rampant in my family in both large and small joints, I think the hip OA would likely have struck regardless)

I am feeling at a bit of a loss as to what to do- I am still spending 90% of my time in the recliner with ice- when I'm not doing that, I am going for 3 to 4 walks around my main floor for roughly 15 to 20 minutes at a time, doing very brief meal prep or some very basic "feel good" stretches/exercises that do not aggravate my symptoms. Is that where I should be at at this stage? My pain is well managed with Tylenol extra strength 1000 mg 4 times per day and Aleve, 2 tablets twice per day (this has been my regime since discharge from the hospital.)

I would dearly love to hear from those at my stage and those ahead of me if they have had a similar experience, what to do and how it all played out.

Thanks!!
 
@FayeL All sounds normal for 3.5 weeks post op. Also sounds like you have been doing too much exercise. I doubt any of the extremes you are self diagnosing are real. More like over doing the activity and soft tissues, muscles and tendons are angry.

I would stop all exercises except the walking. Ice, elevate and rest. Do this for a week or two to let things settle. If this does not ease, then check back with your surgeon about other possibilities. It is still very early days for you.
 
Thanks for the quick feedback Jaycey- I can totally appreciate why you have the title of "Super Moderator!"

I recall that there where times of symptom flares in the past year and a half prior to surgery where I could not lift my leg into the car and had to pull on my pants to get it in (symptoms noted online of iliopsoas tendinitous) , or I would get a painless "clunk" in my hips when straightening out from flexion in pilates class, so I'm sure the iliopsoas has been affected for some time by the arthritis.

It really helps to hear that this symptom is not unexpected and part and parcel of many peoples post- op course- helps normalize things for sure and takes the fear out of it. Are most people still spending so much time in a chair with ice packs at this stage?
 
Good Morning Faye,
I'm guessing what you describe was caused by too aggressive PT. Personally, I'd STOP all of the exercises for now. It's way too early at only 3- 3 1/2 weeks post op. Save therapy visits for a couple months post op if you want to work on something specifically, like a limp, or your gait. I understand PT is a temptation and if prescribed by your doctor you feel obligated. It's also difficult to imagine a physical therapist would steer you wrong, but it happens. We read about it here day in and out. Are they ALL misinformed? No. But sadly many are and go through a check list of exercises like a One Fits All type program and not everyone has the same issues, or came to THR in the same condition. You are going to have aches and pains this early on. Most are fleeting but some can last for days. If you're in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) as we refer to it here, it may take days of rest and icing for the pain to resolve.

Check out the Activity Progression For THR below to get a rough gauge of where you may be. I'd use it to keep in check. Some will safely excel and others will lag behind. It's okay either way as long as you're comfortable.

Easier said than done but try not to get ahead of the situation by reading online and self diagnosing. I understand it's difficult with so much info at our fingertips these days but you are most likely worrying needlessly.

Continue resting, icing, using your pain relief and keeping your activity at a reasonable level, no exercises for now and see how you feel in a few days, or a week. Try not to worry. I'm sure all is well.
Hugs :console2:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
 
Are most people still spending so much time in a chair with ice packs at this stage?
This is different for every person and literally every THR. Recovery for some can be a matter of weeks. For others - a year or more. A lot of this depends on how long you limped around pre-op and how damaged your hip was.
I would get a painless "clunk" in my hips when straightening out from flexion in pilates class
I had this pre-op my left hip. The acetabulum was totally pitted - surgeon said it looks with swiss cheese. And the rest of the hip was collapsed and egg shaped. Nothing fit together anymore and the pain was horrid. That recovery took over one year.

Patience prescribed in large doses!
I can totally appreciate why you have the title of "Super Moderator!"
Thanks, you are very kind! :blush:
 
I have "self-diagnosed" (keep me away from the internet!) with an iliopsoas inflammation/possible early bursitis/possible early tendinitis, which is exacerbated by exercises targeting the hip flexor muscles, like the leg lifts (a single leg march) exercise given to me by the hospital physio (which the physio has changed to another exercise due to my feedback, which also produces the aching so I have backed off entirely from them.)
As my cohorts above suggest, the above is probably a good self diagnosis "My leg is not ready to perform this type of exercise and is causing me issues."

I am feeling at a bit of a loss as to what to do- I am still spending 90% of my time in the recliner with ice- when I'm not doing that, I am going for 3 to 4 walks around my main floor for roughly 15 to 20 minutes at a time, doing very brief meal prep or some very basic "feel good" stretches/exercises that do not aggravate my symptoms. Is that where I should be at at this stage

Yep. Boooring, but yep.:bored:
Hope you are able to be chauffered out some to do some walking...change of scenery and some outside can really help with the cabin fever. But even when I did, it seems I was glad to get back home and "assume the position":ice:
Early Days, @FayeL but it will keep getting better and better.
Slow and steady wins this race.:yes:
 
@Mojo333 I can't tell you how it lightens my heart to have that "early days" reminder. I know our recovery journeys are our own and we should not be comparing one to another- but it is so hard! Someone said somewhere here (maybe even you!) that we seem to remember all the "I shot out of the hospital and straight to a marathon" type stories and forget the rest during our "pity parties."
How long do you reckon the "early days" last?
 
They don't seem so long now...but I have my recovery thread to remind me.
All worth it.
I think the first three months were a constant ebb and flow.

Wow...I am doing so well!
Gee, now what's up with this?

This is my favorite recovery chart.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post Op Day 6---When will the tilting stop?
    Recovery chart drawn.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 194
I was back to work before 7 weeks, but half days and quite the struggle.
But my OA pain was gone so I felt like it was only a matter of time.:bored:
You are really asking the question I asked...did I do the right thing?
Absolutely!
Did I do the right thing even though complete recovery took longer than I thought?
Absolutely.
4 months out was my biggest turnaround where I could do without having to take the reprieve I needed to achieve a balance.

They excised my femers and implanted a new ball joint and liner and stem.:umm:
It has to get well.
Now I am better than before and can live without regard to my hips.
:happydance:
Keep the faith.
You will get there!:friends:
 
Happy Saturday, Faye :wave:
How are you doing? I'm assuming well as I've noticed you bopping around on the forum offering support. One month already tomorrow!
I'll wait until tomorrow to send Anniversary wishes :wink:
Hope you have a great Saturday! :)
@FayeL
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom