BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Post Op Day 6---When will the tilting stop?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by FayeL, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:32 AM.

1. FayeL

FayeL new member

Canada Canada
    Hello everyone- this is my first time joining a forum; I am feeling in need of guidance and support from my new "community."
    I live in a community where the standard of practice is an overnight hospital stay for hip replacements, so in Friday morning, surgery Friday afternoon, home Saturday. I was actually quite surprised that by Sunday, I was walking to the end of my block (very slowly with a walker) twice per day and yesterday, swapped the walker out for a cane. I have read repeatedly that one of the big challenges after surgery is to let yourself take things easy, slow and remind yourself frequently that your body has been through quite an ordeal with surgery and to be patient. Well, I am now appreciating that it is quite hard to take that advise, which is probably why it is given so often!
    Yesterday, I decided that I probably didn't set the bar high enough with 2 walks per day (it really is only 8 houses to the corner) and went for the walk 3 times and last night, I started getting a burning feeling in my right buttocks and bit of thigh discomfort- not huge issues (compared to my pre-op pain) but bit scary because of all the warning about prosthetic loosening and other complications.
    Is there anyone here who has had similar symptoms? Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

2. mikeycat

mikeycat graduate

Canada Canada
    Welcome.Ice and meds and elevation. Sounds like you did too much. All things gentle and if it hurts cease doing it.Which hip was done and when and by what procedure? There will be moderators who will be here to offer their expert advice with much experience behind them. Follow the advice and you will find you will have a smoother transition though not without ups and downs but with the incredible support and advice you will be on your way to a great recovery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. FayeL

FayeL new member

Canada Canada
    Thanks so much for the response! Just got the ice on my hip and knee (not sure what they did in there, but my knee is swollen too- I had some secondary changes to my knee with a tight IT band, inflammation and pain on the outside of my knee pre-op that has likely been worsened by all the swelling) I had what was described as a posterior approach, but the scar is along the side of my upper thigh; surgery was Friday September 6, 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi,
    Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us and congratulations on your new hip!

You're definitely overdoing it for only five days post op and I believe it's the reason for your pain and discomfort. All you need to be doing the first week is taking a 5 minute walk around the house every hour or two and a trip to the bathroom, or the kitchen for a snack or drink normally accomplishes that.

You'll find the Recovery Guidelines below. Please read the ACTIVITY PROGRESSION FOR THR so you get a rough idea of a safe activity level in these early days and weeks. You can't rush the healing process and trying to do so will sideline your recovery.

Your knee is swollen and painful because it is often manipulated in an agressive manner in an effort to dislocate the hip. Please ice your knee just as you're icing any other areas of discomfort. Icing will help with pain and swelling and it should be done for no less than 40-60 minutes each time you ice. There is an article below titled
    ICE.

Please read through the articles as I believe you'll find the info beneficial. Stop back often, we'll be here to answer questions and support you in any way we're able.
    Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @FayeL

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 9:19 PM
  5. FayeL

FayeL new member

Canada Canada
    @Layla Thank you- a million thanks!! So happy to have some concrete guidance around this first week or two!!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  6. Layla

Hi again,
    Which hip did you have replaced on the 6th?
    Please let us know below so the info can be applied as your signature.
    Thanks! :)
    @FayeL

7. Layla

Forget it, just noticed it in your thread title.

8. FayeL

FayeL new member

Canada Canada
    @Layla - This online community is such a treasure! Your guidance has already been so valuable (and reassuring!) Tomorrow, is my new Day 1- with a much more reasonable approach and set of expectations!

• Like Like x 4
  9. Layla

BoneSmart is great! I can't imagine my recovery without it. Thanks for the kind words in regard to the forum. We're happy you found us. There are so many great members here ready to offer advice, support and encouragement. Stop by often, we'll be here.
    Have a peaceful evening!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. kfisher119

kfisher119 new member

FayeL - I wanted to thank you for your comments on my thread last night. Sounds like out surgery was the same day (9/6) and we are recovering in parallel. Just reading your activity the 1st few days exhausted me, you did quite a bit of walking. But I understand, the docs tell us to just walk, so we just walk as much as we feel we can. I hope you’re feeling a little bit better this morning. Feel free to message me if you like. We’re in this together.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. FayeL

FayeL new member

Canada Canada
    Hello everyone- I am now Day 6 post op right THR and when I think I am standing straight- I am not! (this has been corroborated by objective eyes in my household) My right leg feels longer then my left; I am still quite swollen on the right, to the point where it looks like I have a 3 inch lump wrapping up and above my right hip. Has anyone else had this experience? At what point does the swelling go down enough for that (dreaded) complication of a leg length discrepancy to declare itself?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 11:18 PM
  12. Calgal

Calgal senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mine was exactly the same! Don't worry. The swelling is in full form about now. It will subside with ice, elevation, and time. Lots of time. I even started measuring the difference in circumference between my op Vs non op thighs for a few days! I felt like I had a Kardashian butt and saddlebag on my right hip. I also had a posterior. My swelling went down first, pretty much back to normal by week 6. The saddlebag near my incision persisted a couple of months. Everyone is different though. The leg difference I perceived as op leg longer first, had now changed to feeling op leg a little shorter! But don't fret now. Your OS can measure it from your x-ray probably around 6 weeks or so. The advisors on this site will tell you it's several months for perceived LLD to resolve. Now it's time to relax and take it easy and follow the advice Layla gave you in her first post. You'll get there, and it's great!! :thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. mikeycat

mikeycat graduate

Canada Canada
    Are you wearing compression stockings? I had to for several weeks because of the swelling and edema. Elevation and icing helps. Can you contact your OS for reassurance and info re the leg difference? You will get invaluable support and info here. Rest and do exercises/walking in moderation. Hoping all your issues will be resolved.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. FayeL

FayeL new member

Canada Canada
    @Calgal - Thank you so so much for normalizing this- and for giving it a name! My "saddlebag" is so pronounced its almost comical! I am trying to remember to fully extend my knee on my operative side when standing because my tendency is to (unconsciously) keep it bent bit to even things out! So many strange sensations post- op, and so very little "official" information about what to expect passed on through my surgeon here, which is why this site (and your quick response) have been such a blessing! Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @FayeL Nearly every new hippie feel like there is a leg length difference (LLD). But in most cases this feeling just fades away. Give it 3-4 months before doing anything about it. If you need to be measured at that time look for a podiatrist or physio who has experience with this. Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD

• Like Like x 1
  16. FayeL

FayeL new member

Canada Canada
    @mikeycat Thanks for the quick response! I have not tried the compression socks, but thanks to @Layla and her awesome Hip- recovery guidelines, have been diligently icing and elevating. Will be contacting my surgeon's office to day to schedule post-op appointment (he doesn't want to see patients prior to 6 weeks post-op) but his assistant is amazing at returning calls and tracking him down and passing on his responses. I thought the compression socks were more for lower leg swelling (which has come down abit- on my way home from hospital on discharge, my husband had one heck of a time getting my right sock on!); do they have an "upward" chain effect? Happy to try (pretty much ) anything! None of the guidance I've received here has been anything less than splendid!
    I see you are a fellow Canadian! How has the health care system in Quebec treated you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. FayeL

FayeL new member

Canada Canada
    @Jaycey Just read the article- very helpful! Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Layla

Hello and Happy Friday!
    The protocol for Compression stockings varies widely from surgeon to surgeon across the board. Some surgeons prescribe them, others don't. Most often knee high, sometimes thigh high. The length of time to wear them, as well as how many hours daily varies also. If your surgeon didn't prescribe them and you're moving around enough, which it seems you are, I wouldn't give the stockings a thought. The great majority find them a miserable inconvenience, but honor their surgeon's recovery protocol in wearing them.

The pressure from the TEDS assists in blood vessels working more efficiently. The arteries that take blood to your muscles relax, so blood flows freely. The veins get a boost pushing blood back to your heart. They can help keep your legs from getting tired and achy. In addition, ease swelling in your feet and ankles.
    I hope you're having a good day! Enjoy the weekend :)
    @FayeL

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:Hi @FayeL and welcome to the forum and the fantastical hip recovery journey you are embarked on.:giggle:
    After the...whew...made it through surgery and adrenaline rush I got from that, came the next weeks of
    Oh my stars...is this normal and how long does this last?
    Evidenced by my recovery thread.:umm:
    The forum staff and recovering hippys were a great source of encouragement and comfort to me.
    All Temporary and well worth it in the end.
    Keep the faith and have a chilled Saturday:ice:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Kona Girl

Kona Girl junior member

Aloha @FayeL I'm actually experiencing the opposite of the "tilt." My surgeon, when he first examined me, told me I had a true leg length discrepancy, which probably contributed to my L knee issues and R hip issues. I knew I had an anteriorly rotated right hip, wasn't sure of the LLD. He told me he would add a bit to my new hip and I can actually feel the difference, though it does feel just a bit odd. It will be interesting to see if this helps take care of some of my lower back issues. Kind of excited if it does. Enjoy your new hip!!! You will adjust...:)

Malama pono...

• Like Like x 1