THR Post Op Day 6---When will the tilting stop?

@FayeL even at 12 weeks I’m still swollen, some days less, definitely less than the early weeks but it still surprises me! I feel like I’m listing often, and foot pain makes me wonder about leg length. I learn a lot from other people’s questions here! It’s invaluable. Welcome and glad you’re here.
 
@FayeL , how's the swelling going? I had another thought re the infamous saddlebag I mentioned. It was so bad I ended up buying stretchy legging type crop pants, because the saddlebag and my very tender posterior incision made it extremely uncomfortable to wear any type of trouser that had a sideseam for quite some time. I also ended up buying some stretchy boy leg style underpants, wish I had done that sooner. The elastic on my panty legs drove me up the wall!! :tantrum2:
But now at almost 4 months out all is fine, incision is not sore anymore and life is great. Happy healing! :thumb:
 
Good Morning Faye :wave:
I hope you had a nice weekend. Wondering how you're doing in these early days?
When you have a minute...let us know. We're here for you. :friends:
Happy Monday, I hope today is a good one! :)
@FayeL
 
@Calgal- thanks for the check in - My "saddlebag" is still quite pronounced, and to my eye, quite ridiculous! Thankfully, I am quite comfortable in all the underwear at the back of my drawer, equally ridiculous, stretched and worn elastic- wise (you know the ones your mother warns you not to wear in case you end up in exposed in an ambulance!)
 
@Layla : thanks for the check in! I am feeling pretty ok overall, definitely pulled back on my activity and expectations from last week and am following the guidelines (religiously!) you sent. At rest, my hip is frequently sore (not too intense during the day, more so at night and managed exclusively with round the clock Extra Strength Tylenol an Ibuprofen) but when walking, my knee is what gets in the way- primarily on the outside along the IT band; my new mantra is "Listen to your body" so even if I have not done my 5 minutes of walking loops along the main floor of my house, I stop at the freezer and head back to the recliner with some ice packs. I am off the walker and using a cane, which is great and able to lift my leg in and out of bed, but I sure miss my favourite sleep positions! I have not had more than 3 hours straight sleep since September 5- the night before surgery. I am still up every night between 2-3 a.m. to come downstairs and try to sleep a bit more in the recliner.

I was telling another member of our community here that if it were not for all the great threads at bonesmart, I would absolutely be more anxious with any pang, pull or spasm. And I absolutely love the "Expectation vs Reality" visual representation of the road to recovery.

I feel so fortunate to have found this online community- I will be letting my surgeon know at our follow up at the 6 week mark that it should be included in his pamphlet on "online resources"

Thanks again for reaching out! You absolutely ROCK!!!!!!
 
My surgeon wants me to wear the compression socks for 6 weeks! I thought it was a touch extreme...
 
@Rbc Thanks for your warm welcome - sounds like you are not too far ahead of me! I have read that for many here, there was an upswing in recovery at the 3 week mark- I am finding that each day at this point is a little different, with different muscle groups or tendons coming online to say "What the hey!!" I find myself reminding myself several times a day that my mechanics have been off for several years now, and "rehab'ing " the hip actually means attending to all those long term imbalances! Has this been your experience as well?
 
surgeon wants me to wear the compression socks for 6 weeks! I
Mine did too. They lasted about 4 weeks then I stopped, about the same time my blood thinner injections ended. I saw the point early on but not so much after I was up and much more mobile. There is tremendous variation on if, and for how long these are prescribed. We got the short straw! :heehee:
 
:hi: new hippy pal.
I am finding that each day at this point is a little different, with different muscle groups or tendons coming online to say "What the hey!!" I find myself reminding myself several times a day that my mechanics have been off for several years now, and "rehab'ing " the hip actually means attending to all those long term imbalances!
:goodpost:Very important observation and splendid reminder to many.
I had no idea how my limping, leaning, compensating habits would affect other areas once I had two good hips.
Another good reason to take all slow as things readjust.
Early days and all temporary, dear @FayeL
Hope today is a good day! :ice:
 
I feel so fortunate to have found this online community- I will be letting my surgeon know at our follow up at the 6 week mark that it should be included in his pamphlet on "online resources"
Thanks so much for the kind words. We love it when our members serve as ambassadors for BoneSmart with their medical team. Please do let your surgeon know we'd be happy to be included in his information packet.
 
Hello my peeps! Today is 2 weeks post-op!! Reaching out for some guidance/reassurance after a stupid (and all too human) incident yesterday. Please tell me I am not the only one this has happened to!! (and it will be okay!)- Yesterday, caught my toe on the edge of the carpet and felt an immediate reverberation in my thigh (I assume this to be referred pain from the hip,) iced immediately and all last night and this morning have felt an ache in my hip. This can't possibly be something I can't recover from! Right?!!!?? My older brother, who has had both hips done, tells me that a few times a month, pretty much from the get go, his first hip (which was done in his mid forties about 15 years ago) if he stubs his toe, he feels a 10 out of 10 pain immediately in his thigh that then takes a good 10-20 minutes to subside (he thinks this might relate to some nerve damage.) Any words of wisdom/guidance?
On a happier front, my "tilt" is notable improved- still there, but definitely better!
 
Good Morning Faye,
I'd try not to worry. I'm sure you just aggravated something in an already traumatized area. I think your best recourse will be to continue icing. Do it several times per day for no less than 45-60 minutes each time.
Ice everytime you're sitting or laying down and see if you notice it easing over the next few days.

Happy Two Week Anniversary!
I hope you have a peaceful relaxing weekend.
@FayeL
 
Thanks @Layla - I am telling myself- this can't possible be forever! Few things are! (so many mantras in my day to day life now- my husband referenced back to me the "Reality vs Expectation" curve this morning that is now one of my favourite "talk myself down" visuals!)
 
I agree that little squiggle says it all.
No words of wisdom, just a simple little squiggly line a pre-schooler could have drawn.
Why do we make everything so difficult? :shrug: :heehee:
Have a great weekend and a few laughs...it does a body good!
Hugs
@FayeL
 
Hi @FayeL I've caught my foot or toe a few times too. It hurts! But then it doesn't... I bet you just aggravated some soft tissue that was already aggravated.. I hope by now you are already forgetting about it and hopefully enjoying the weekend!! Take care.. :flwrysmile:
 
@Rbc Thanks for your warm welcome - sounds like you are not too far ahead of me! I have read that for many here, there was an upswing in recovery at the 3 week mark- I am finding that each day at this point is a little different, with different muscle groups or tendons coming online to say "What the hey!!" I find myself reminding myself several times a day that my mechanics have been off for several years now, and "rehab'ing " the hip actually means attending to all those long term imbalances! Has this been your experience as well?
Yes! It changes all the time. I was at a social gathering this week (our city’s annual balloon festival), I had my cane for standing and walking more than usual. 4 of us had hip replacements, as we chatted it was clear how different we were. One woman didn’t really remember much pain involved !?!, one man said it was a year before he really felt normal, one told a story about being overconfident and brought up short. I felt quite reassured. It changes day by day, and gradually you find it’s much better. (But not totally, ha!)
 
Hi @FayeL
I hope you're having a good week. Let us know how you're doing when you have time.
Wishing you comfort as you continue the journey!
 
Hey @Layla -glad to be back posting- my computer died and I am using my son's now; with my (sleep deprived) brain, it took me several days to remember the right password to get logged back on!
Thanks for your check in! Today is week 3! Yahoo!!!
I have had a few set backs, (including one after the elevator in my physio's building broke moments before the end of my first post-op session last week, resulting in having to navigate the descent of three floors of concrete stairs with my cane in hand and my mantra -" cane; bad(leg); good(leg); cane; bad(leg); good(leg); expletive; cane; bad(leg); good(leg); cane; bad(leg); good(leg); expletive and repeat- the whole time thinking- a physio office on the third floor of a building without a working elevator is about as useful as having a therapy session in a psychiatrist's office embedded in a reptile museum!
I have noticed overall, that things are getting better, both physically and psychologically- in part, thanks to this community and the belief it has helped me nurture that setbacks are expected and temporary! So with my setbacks I tell myself- back off, don't panic, you have been here before and it will pass.
I am now focusing on the functional basics- I walk around the main floor of my house 3 times a day for 15-20 minutes and alternate those "expeditions" with gently exercises (very gentle and guided by the packet I received in hospital) and, of course , lots of icing! Sleep continues to be an issue- thank goodness the only big decisions I have to contemplate during the day consist of- what should I watch on Netflix, what should I eat for lunch and who do I know that is off work or in the right time zone for a telephone visit!
Hope you are doing well- I am always happy to read your posts! Wishing you a lovely Friday- I hope the sun is shining wherever you are!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom