Guest viewing is limited

THR post hip replacement pain

Well this is good news! Hope you get that referral quickly!
 
I had my first THR 16 months ago has never stopped paining but I thought it was just recovery and in the mean time had my second one done 8 months ago but still in constant pain from the first.

I was in theatre last week getting checked for infection but got the all clear. The problem I is the stem going into my femur is at the wrong angle so everything is pushing outwards towards my outer thigh also the X-rays indicate the cement holding the cup is breaking down. My next appointment is not for another month then hopefully get referred to a revision surgeon and have it corrected and be pain free.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ian, I just discovered that you have (had) three recovery threads so now the are all merged into one! I also see that Jaycey merged two threads earlier as well. Please don't keep starting new threads.

The reason for this is
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary
 
The problem I is the stem going into my femur is at the wrong angle. My next appointment is not for another month then hopefully get referred to a revision surgeon
I suspected this which was why I asked if you'd like me to find you another surgeon. You don't need to be referred by your present surgeon and I strongly recommend that you don't! If you like I can research a really good surgeon for you. Usually we only get once chance to get our joints replaced well and if they're not, it's even more essential you don't take chances with the second chap.
 
Sorry about the new thread but it was suggested I start a new one on my last post??
I live in Formby (Sefton) and I have been told I will be referred to Wrightington hospital which has a really good name , if you can suggest a surgeon i would be most grateful.
Thanks Ian


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Ian C I suggested a new thread not realizing you already had a recovery thread otherwise your question can get lost. Josephine will steer you in the right direction : )

It sounds very painful if not frustrating. Ouch! Would imagine an incorrectly angled stem would stretch muscles and tendons, no wonder your pain never went away. Good news that you don't have an infection and hope your revision OS can fix this.
 
Thanks Horseshoe I've not posted much but now understand how it works.
I'll make sure the next surgeon has good recommendations and will sort me out once an for all.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear, Ian - now I have another little moan! It's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course! Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Don't worry - we'll get you sorted sooner or later! :)
 
As for the Wrightington, yes I know it well but you'd be better to ask to be referred to one of these chaps (numbers after are numbers of primary and revision hips done in the last year)

Peter Kay 173/37
Bodo Purbach 86/45

Myself I'd go to Peter - he's a very excellent hip surgeon!

What you need to do is to go to your GP and ask him to refer you directly to Peter. Don't just be referred to the hospital. Also don't use "choose and book" - hip patients have been known to be referred to foot surgeons using that 'service'!

NHS choice: Patient's Charter and your right to choose
 
Ian,
Had my hip done by Peter Kay 6 wks ago at Wrightington. He is a really lovely guy as well as being a great surgeon. All of his patients held him in highest regard. Did a lot of research and don't think you would go far wrong with him.
Best of luck in your decision,
Diane
 
Thanks guys I'll request Peter Kay,if I end up with the comedian from Bolton I'll let you know. [emoji2][emoji2]



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well just to make sure this is the comedian!
[Bonesmart.org] post hip replacement pain


And THIS is Professor Peter Kay from the Wrightington
[Bonesmart.org] post hip replacement pain


BTW, when you eventually get to see the man himself, do give him my regards.
I know him quite well and he knows about BoneSmart!
 
I will do , they do look similar though [emoji2][emoji2]
Thanks for your help


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just dug out my latest X-ray , the stem is not very straight going into my femur and the cup is coming loose [emoji853][emoji853]

[Bonesmart.org] post hip replacement pain
 
That cup is so loose, it needs a passport! As for the stem, that too is loose, very loose!
I'd be surprised if Peter wasn't able to simply lift them both out with his fingers!

Your new one will be cemented of course.
 
Thanks Josephine , I haven't been referred to Peter yet but hopefully he will be able to sort me out soon , I have an appointment with my GP to ask or him even before my next appointment with my current surgeon.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Finally been referred to Mr Peter Kay at Wrightington hospital hopefully for revision surgery to sort out my failed THR


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's great news, @Ian C! Hoping things can move along quickly for you so that you can get revision surgery and relief.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom