THR post hip replacement pain

You have been on such an incredibly long, hard journey following your hip replacement and revision. I can only imagine how frustrated and discouraged you must feel. I know the health care system in different where you live than here in the states, but if it were at all possible to get a completely new set of fresh eyes/new opinion to evaluate your situation, it seems that would be incredibly helpful. Fortunately for most of us, hip revisions tend to go quite smoothly and we have positive outcomes. However, for those like you, even though rare, it is an awful thing to have to deal with. I hope you can get some answers soon.
 
Its now over 3 years since my revision surgery on my right hip but unfortunately still in constant pain , I was diagnosed with Trachontoric Bursitis shortly after the surgery, after a telephone consultation with my surgeon recently he said he will consider a cortisone injection but I can’t seeing it being this year under the current situation although things are getting a lot better in the UK.
I hope everyone is doing fine and staying safe in the current situation and mentally ok as sometimes my mental health is quite low.
Take care
Ian
 
7 years after my revision surgery I have just had a cortisone injection in my right hip which will hopefully give me some pain relief from the Trochanteric bursitis I developed from the surgery and hopefully get my life back
 
Sorry to hear you are struggling with the bursitis, it's very painful.
I had it off & on in both hips even though just my right hip was replaced. I used ice/heat combo & massaged as well as Extra Strength Tylenol. PA did say I could get the shots but I never have much relief with cortisone shots, only once in my knee when I tore my meniscus. Otherwise I might get a few days of relief & then back to pain so I just did the massage, heat, ice.
Hope you start to feel better.
 
It’s 2 weeks now since I had a guided cortisone injection and no improvement
 
Hi Guys
I have just seen my surgeon as my first hip replacement which I had done 16 months ago is giving me a lot of pain ,I think I got it slightly wrong as I thought the cup was positioned wrong but it is actually the stem going into my femur is at the wrong angle and my femur is leaning out pushing on muscles and bursa which is most probably causing the pain as well as the cement holding the cup in position is breaking down.
I have got to have fluid taken from my hip under theatre conditions to check for bacteria is that comes back negative I am being referred to a revision surgeon but the hospital I attend does not have one at the moment (Southport & Ormskirk) so I will be getting referred to Wrightington hospital which I think a certain person is familiar with.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ian,
I am sorry you haven't received any relief from the cortisone injection. I suggest you follow up with your doctor to discuss the lack of relief and to explore other treatment options. Massage may help, or a PT program that targets strengthening muscles to improve flexibility. Hopefully OTC meds, rest and ice bring temporary relief when you're dealing with heavy discomfort. I wonder if it's time for some new imaging to help identify, or rule out any other underlying issue? Or, a new set of eyes on the case in the form of a revision specialist for a second opinion since you've been struggling for so long now. I wish you comfort and hope you find a remedy that brings permanent relief.
@Ian C
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom