THR Poppet survived a major fall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Poppet

I have just read through this thread not having visited the site since the new year.

I am really sorry to read that you had a fall some time ago now and still having problems. I hope the doctors can get to the bottom of it soon.

Please keep well

with kind regards

Dave

PS I will send you an email that I have meant to do since Christmas!!
 
Hi Poppet,
hope you'll succeed in sorting out the health concerns after your fall and will be pain-free.

I'll be having surgery on Monday 20th April. One of the arguments in favour of having my hip replaced is so I can travel to your country again without the terrible arthritis pain. We like travelling so much and Australia is our favourite country.

Whereabouts is it that you can swim in in the ocean in Australia? We've been told not to swim in some places in Queensland for instance because of the crocodiles. And in the south, and also the east, there are stingers. When we went snorkeling, we also wore a stinger suit. Will write more later - Love from Constanze
 
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your caring remarks :)

Results of hip X-rays - excellent news on the implant hip. No such luck regards the left! I am able to get the report and X-ray images within hours of the X-ray. My OS will contact me when he has read the report...

Report
The right hip prosthesis is intact. There is no periprosthetic fracture or lucency.

There is severe osteoarthritis in the left hip joint with bone on bone articulation and marked osteophytic formation.

Thankfully patience is my second name - I will wait to hear from my OS.

The good news for my prosthetic is further recognition of the strength of our implants. I hope this good news may reassure folk reading this. :)
 
@Poppet - my goodness! Thank you for documenting your fall and giving us all reassurance after
that horrible fall. It is unfortunate but sounds like you need a left hip replacement too, :groan: hopefully
you can get the swelling and pain sorted out on the right before.

I am now 5 days out from surgery and falling has been on my mind. Especially since my
wonderful husband made me a very sturdy, firm seat to take a shower in, which I was able
to last night. Felt like a new woman, but was very gingerly getting in. The tub is an old
claw tub with high sides which I have to step up to and then step down out of.

Even though my husband said that an elephant could sit on the seat, which he tested frequently
before allowing me to try I was still very nervous thinking of my hip hitting the tub!

Please keep us informed as to your prognosis, we are all rooting for you and definitely
appreciate all your helpful information:flwrysmile:
 
@Poppet such good news about your right hip! The left one, have you a window of opportunity to get it done yet?
You know, what if your lingering pains are just your good right hip compensating for the increasingly worse left one?...


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@Poppet Thank goodness the newer hip is doing great! :loveshwr: That must be a huge relief to know that no damage was done during your scary fall. But alas it does sound like the old hip is ready for replacement. And I agree with zauberflote .... I'll be very interested to hear what your OS has to say and recommend
 
It is very interesting Deb, @djklaugh (and anyone else reading this). Even though the X-ray on my left hip sounds all gloom and doom, I can honestly say that I have minimum random discomfort. I only take a very occasional paracetamol. I have severe and chronic lower back OA and I suspect I am getting a lot of referred pain from my back... Let's see what my OS thinks x
 
Poppet always there im background but popping up when needed its time to give a tad time to you as well. Good luck oh btw made a grand thai red curry not sure on nutritional value but feel goood value a trillion.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Waiting to hear your news from your OS.......glad your implant is steady & firm @Poppet
I can feel your relief from the UK!!! Much love....Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Amen to @Legin's comment Poppet, thanks so much for all the help you give so freely and wisely. It is really appreciated. Hope your surgeon comes back with some great advice for you and it is all do-able.

I also hope you are following your own advice, and tucking in to a nice bit of steamed salmon, broccoli and carrots to top up your mineral and vitamin levels. xxx
:loveshwr:
 
Well I had a second set of X-rays subsequent to my major fall late last year, before relocating house and home.

It now seems my left native hip has deteriorated significantly with the report indicating: "There is severe osteoarthritis in the left hip joint with bone on bone articulation and marked osteophytic formation". Unfortunately, replacement will have to wait as we have a major building project happening.

So I have completely modified my diet approx a month ago and concentrating on non inflammatory producing foods which so far is working well for me personally. Along with limiting movements or modifying them to avoid causing a flare up.

Caution though, my nutritional changes will not change the requirement for a THR replacement down the track, but from my vast knoweldge base as a Natural Medicine Practitioner I am fully aware that by eliminating the 'inflammation producing' foods for my digestive system it will help my situation... As I cautioned, this approach is not for everyone and does not replace the advice from your OS..
 
Oh dear @Poppet - have you a date in mind to get the other hip done now - it sounds well and truly done? I hope your building project is not too long, as you won't want to put it off too much. If it is at your own place, @FiFi is the one to give you some advice about living with the builders - she only just got a roof on her room before coming home. I'm sure it is good to know where you are at, and be able to work on some kind of plan now, but I do feel for you.
:console2:
 
No, no definitive date @Great Aunt Janet - thanks for your kind thoughts - it is not just about the building project, there are other health factors to consider.

I will be guided and am working with my OS and my Renal Specialist to assess any further deterioration by ongoing xray monitoring, pain levels, requirement for pain pain relief. They totally agree that whilst I do not require daily pain meds and can continue to go about my daily living activities (with some modifications) and given my Chronic Kidney Disease (which is at stage 4) it is in my best overall health interest to delay as long as possible without compromising either condition. Major surgery is not straight forward for me. My RTHR involved a very comprehensive team of specialists, my OS, Anaethetist, Renal Specialist, Intensive Care, and a Cardiologist to keep me alive in the early days. I have a wonderful medical support team. They also respect the fact that I am qualified and a registered practitioner in my own field. I am confident that between all of us, I will get there xx
 
@Poppet I have not been on the forum for some time and I am just catching up.Sorry to hear about your fall but I am so glad that there is no damage to your new hip.It sounds like your left hip is in a bad way but how good that you are experiencing minimal pain and that you can plan your replacement for a time which suits your chronic kidney condition best.I have gained a lot of information regarding nutrition from reading your articles and would really like to know which foods you have eliminated because they are associated with inflammation.My current situation is that I am now waiting to have my left hip replaced but due to family and personal reasons I chose to wait until September for the surgery so any measures I can take to relieve inflammation would be very welcome.
 
Oh my @Poppet what a collection of rocks and hard places you are among! Wish we could wave a magic wand and make everything all better.
Like @Kim22 (hey good to see you!) I am very interested in what's working for you :) i am loving your nutritional snippets!!
Keep us posted and know that I've been thinking of you often even though I never write. Will try to improve that :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Good grief poppet makes my problem like a wee sting from.a.bee. I really hope.it all works out for you. Life can be cruel the nice people get more illness than they deserve.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Poppet big hugs all the way from Scotland. Jeezo you have been having a hard time and hope you can get things sorted out soon. You still sound upbeat so mind you need support as well so pop in for a wee chat and keep us updated,

Billy
 
Poppet, good to see that you are forging forward with the building project. I know how important it was to get the new house together. Glad to hear that your bionic hip is being the star; and I know you're working diligently to keep the left at bay as long as possible and staying focused on your nutrition is a model we should all follow (want to but not always as successful as you!).

I'm working on getting the knicky knack issues with my feet under control. I just had my rt big toe fused, so lots of rest and heel to heart for me. I'll head back to work next week, but will still be not weight bearing for another 6 weeks after that. As expected, DH is being a great sport and catering to my every need (well, almost).

Wishing you the best from the NW!
 
So glad you are managing to 'hold off' your next THR surgery @Poppet
Hoping your building project is going well and life is being kind to you....interesting about the non inflammatory diet...what we put into our bodies certainly makes a difference. Take care honey...love & hugs...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom