PKR Poorlyknees Returns!!

Best wishes for your physio appointment, let us know how it goes.
I hope your headache is history.
@PoorlyKnees
 
August 4th - Day 16

The big reveal…

Had my dressing removed and wound checked today. All good, my surgeon was pleased with the results; no swelling, no sign of infection. He stressed the importance of working on the range of movement.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it?…
First appointment with physio. He was really impressed by my ability to walk unaided, flex/straighten my leg and climb stairs. He measured my ROM as 105 degrees! He’s given me my exercises to complete with a target of 130 degrees bend. Challenge accepted.
 
August 5th - Day 17

Climate change, the convenient truth…

Following my first PKR on March 1st, we (the UK) experienced one of the wettest March/April periods on record. May/June we’re dry with a stifling heatwave.

Here comes summer…
Following my second PKR in July, we have experienced one of the wetted test summers on record, with no real sign of warmer, drier weather.

Now, I’m not claiming any supernatural power over the weather or any influence over divine intervention but….we all love a conspiracy theory, don’t we?

To summarise…
Nothing happened today.
 
August 6th - Day 18

You gotta love physio…

So, I’ve dropped the painkillers and I’ve got my physiotherapy regimen. I know I should do it, but it’s tough.

Raising pain levels…
My knee is fine with all the moves but I struggle with pain on the outside of my shin when I do the prescribed calf raises.

A bridge too far…
My core is weak and I struggle with the bridges. Ironically, the only pain I get is from my left butt cheek which has been a problem since my first PKR.

Never give up…
I’ve accepted the challenge and I’m gonna stick at it. These areas will get stronger and both of them contribute directly to maintaining a healthy knee.
 
Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m sharing…then running for cover :bolt:

bridges - can cause generalized tendinitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings
bridges.JPG

Whatcha think? Yay, or Nay?
@PoorlyKnees
 
Thanks Layla, I don’t feel any pressure or strain. I’m certainly not strong enough to get my hips up as high as the model in the picture. I’ll be careful and check with my physiotherapist.
 
August 7th - Day 19

Physio-go-go…

No pain from my shin this morning, even with the calf raises (relief). Gorgeous wife Claire and I went for a walk today (1 crutch). Opted for a trek around the golf course as it was closed (no risk of injury from wayward golf balls). It’s quite a hilly course so it was a good (and familiar) test. I last played on July 18th (the day before my operation), I paid particular attention to how my knee felt as I negotiated the gradients, to form a point of reference. It was uncomfortable, even with pain-killers.

Getting stronger…
No such pain today. We did 2-3 miles (and found 5 lost balls). Sure, it was a bit sore, but there was no pain from the knee joint itself. I’m getting stronger and more confident walking up hills and climbing stairs. I find this helps me appreciate the steady progress that naturally occurs if I work with the knee.

Give a little love…
I’ve started to give my new knee, in fact both my new knees a bit of a massage. It’s a bit numb but I feel that if I engage with it, get used to how it feels and understand that it doesn’t hurt, I get more confident with it. It must be good for circulation as well.
 
if I engage with it, get used to how it feels and understand that it doesn’t hurt, I get more confident with it.
Massage can be very helpful. I relied on it after both my hip and knee surgeries.

Just stay away from the incision and listen to your body; if it tells you "too much," back off a little for a day or two and then try again.

Good luck!
 
if I engage with it, get used to how it feels and understand that it doesn’t hurt, I get more confident with it.
Massage can be very helpful. I relied on it after both my hip and knee surgeries.

Just stay away from the incision and listen to your body; if it tells you "too much," back off a little for a day or two and then try again.

Good luck!
I agree. When I say massage I mean more of a gentle rub. I think it’s important to get used to the new feeling. I’m really lucky my body heals wounds/incisions really quickly. Even the nurses, physios and surgeon were surprised.
 
August 8th - Day 20

Hello Muddah, hello Faddah…

Here I am at Camp Grenada.
Camp is very entertaining,
and that say that we’ll have fun if it stops raining…️

August, the height of summer, and once again it has rained all day. I had a disturbed night last night. I don’t sleep well on my back but currently that’s the only option. Having so little to do during the day leads to me dreaming. Weird non-sensical dreams that seem to last forever yet, when I wake up it’s only 30 minutes later than when I last woke up.
Sean tried his best to help, bringing me a mouse at 5am.

If you can’t fight ‘em…
I had to resort to some painkillers this afternoon. I’m getting that sharp pain down the outside of my shin again. It feels more like a nerve pain (if that makes any sense), not anything to do with my operation. I’ve sort advice from my physiotherapist.

Still pushing forward…
The pain is annoying, but my knee is getting stronger everyday. Stairs are easier every time and my range of motion is increasing daily. Let’s hope the weather improves tomorrow.
 
Sean tried his best to help, bringing me a mouse at 5am.
Aaah, yikes! We were just discussing mice today, amongst staff.
Creeps me out! :swoon:

I am sorry to read about the pain…I hope it eases for you soon.
Wishing you blue skies and sunshine tomorrow! :SUNsmile:
 
August 9th - Day 21 3 Weeks post op

Summer has arrived…

Rumour has it, it may last until the end of next week!! I made the most of it and got outside. I walked around the front 9 holes of a golf course whilst they did their best to lose golf balls. It was nice, a bit of a challenge at times, but my knee coped well. Saying that, I was glad to get home and put my feet up.

Twinging glutes…
Even after trekking around a golf course, my knee hasn’t swollen up. I am getting twitchy pains between my glut and the outside of my knee, just like last time. At least I have an idea what causes this. So, I’m doing lots of later raises and stretches to activate the muscles and release my IT band. Fingers crossed.
 
August 10th - Day 22

Life changing experiences…

Last night I experienced the absolute joy of…sleeping on my side! For me this is a major step forward, for Sean, disaster. He can’t sit on my chest if I’m on my side; I dare say there will be repercussions.

The next step…
I went to the gym today. My first visit since my PKR. My surgeon is very keen that I exercise my knee using the recumbent cycle. His mission (as it appears to be for all surgeons) is to increase the range of motion and prevent the formation of scar tissue within the joint. My mission is to activate my quads and glutes to expedite my recovery and keep them IT bands under my control.

Did it work?…
Success. I put the seat back one extra click, but I can use the recumbent cycle. I did 30 minutes on low resistance (take it steady). There was no pain from my knee, but I could feel it in my glutes, which was reassuring. My knee was a little sore this evening, but no swelling or sharp pains.
 
August 10th - Day 22

Life changing experiences…

Last night I experienced the absolute joy of…sleeping on my side! For me this is a major step forward, for Sean, disaster. He can’t sit on my chest if I’m on my side; I dare say there will be repercussions.

The next step…
I went to the gym today. My first visit since my PKR. My surgeon is very keen that I exercise my knee using the recumbent cycle. His mission (as it appears to be for all surgeons) is to increase the range of motion and prevent the formation of scar tissue within the joint. My mission is to activate my quads and glutes to expedite my recovery and keep them IT bands under my control.

Did it work?…
Success. I put the seat back one extra click, but I can use the recumbent cycle. I did 30 minutes on low resistance (take it steady). There was no pain from my knee, but I could feel it in my glutes, which was reassuring. My knee was a little sore this evening, but no swelling or sharp pains.
Awww....At least you let him in the room and on the bed! One of my three kitties is an 18 pound klutzy galoot who 100% thinks I'm mom, and on account of him all cats have been barred from the bedroom overnight since the month before my first TKA! (Likely having cataract surgery this winter, so the exile will continue)

I envy your biking! My ROM is good but I'm super short - the bikes at PT are great, but in order to reach the pedals at the gym my seat is so far forward my knee has to reach nearly my chest!!! Still working on it. Really happy to read your update!
 
Last night I experienced the absolute joy of…sleeping on my side!
Yippee!! That is a huge step!
His mission (as it appears to be for all surgeons) is to increase the range of motion and prevent the formation of scar tissue within the joint.
Adhesions form when the knee gets hot and dry. Dry tissues can stick together easier than moist ones. Not bending your knee won't cause adhesions, (what most call scar tissues), overworking it will.

This article explains the difference between scar tissue and adhesions:
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions

You need normal scar tissue. That's what holds your incision together, and it's part of the normal healing process. Without it, you'd always have an open wound.
 
Understood. I know he’s referring to the risk of adhesion. I’m more concerned about muscle atrophy. Many years ago I was in traction for 6 weeks. It took me a long time to rebuild the flexibility and strength in my leg.
 
August 11th - Day 22

A funny thing happened on the sofa…

Late last night I was, perched on the sofa with a sore knee, following my first “outing” on the recumbent cycle at the gym. The pain was a sort of soreness across the top of my kneecap like it had been irritated by the pedalling, like the skin was too tight to allow my knee to bend. But it wasn’t swollen. It was very late, I was focused on keeping myself occupied whilst I waited for the women’s soccer world cup match between Spain and the Netherlands to start at 2am (it’s a man thing).

Time for some TLC…
I thought I’d give my knee a bit of a massage. I did the usual rub down with oils and then gave the incision scar a rub in small circles. Suddenly, there was a sharp pain (like a really sharp pin prick) and all the soreness across the top of my knee joint disappeared. Cautiously, I placed my heel on my roller and pulled my heel towards me to flex the joint…. I’ve got way more range of motion and the pain I was getting on the outside of my knee when I put weight on that leg has gone! There’s not a lot of difference in terms of range of motion between my left and right knees now.

Is there a down side?…
The only challenge I have is the dull ache I get intermittently in my glute. It’s the same ache that I got on my left side after that knee was done. So it’s back to lateral raises and hamstring exercises to activate the muscles and relieve the pressure on the IT band. At least I know it will pass; it just takes time.
 
uddenly, there was a sharp pain (like a really sharp pin prick) and all the soreness across the top of my knee joint disappeared. Cautiously, I placed my heel on my roller and pulled my heel towards me to flex the joint…. I’ve got way more range of motion and the pain I was getting on the outside of my knee when I put weight on that leg has gone!
I bet it was an internal stitch that finally let go. What good news! The stitches inside can hold us back and now, that one is gone! Yippee! Whatever it was, it is good news!
 
uddenly, there was a sharp pain (like a really sharp pin prick) and all the soreness across the top of my knee joint disappeared. Cautiously, I placed my heel on my roller and pulled my heel towards me to flex the joint…. I’ve got way more range of motion and the pain I was getting on the outside of my knee when I put weight on that leg has gone!
I bet it was an internal stitch that finally let go. What good news! The stitches inside can hold us back and now, that one is gone! Yippee! Whatever it was, it is good news!
That sounds like it could be right. I’ll ask the surgeon when I next see him.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom