PKR Poorlyknees Returns!!

July 27th - Day 8

Rest day…

Did lots yesterday, mowed the lawn, mowed my neighbours lawn (she’s 82 and had a fall recently), did a grocery shop (gorgeous wife Claire drove to the shop), so today is a rest day.

Pain management…
When I left hospital I was given a range of painkillers and guidelines of what to take and how often. One week in, I’ve decided to reduce the amount of the strong painkillers (codeine). Seems OK at the moment.

Range of motion…
Today I’ve focused on the range of motion exercises. I can get my knee to about 90 degrees and hold it for a count of 10. It’s not painful, just sort of stops there. I’m really pleased with that.
 
July 28th - Day 9

Range of motion…

Yesterday’s rest day was a challenge. I can’t sit still, I was very bored. That being said, sitting and flexing my knee paid huge dividends. By the evening I was able to flex my knee sufficiently to climb the stairs in a normal, “left, right” step pattern (that took over 3 weeks with my left knee). The additional flexibility also allows me to walk more naturally, which takes the tension out of my hip and back.

Swelling and numbness…
My new right knee has more bruising but hardly any swelling, much less than I experienced with the left knee. Similarly, the numbness resulting from cutting the intra-patella nerve is minimal. It’s only an area about the diameter of a peach.

Bubble wrap…
As I start to recovery the mobility in the joint I’m starting to wonder if my new knee will have any quirky habits. My new left knee works really well, but it does make a funny noise. It quietly crackles when I bend it, a sound a bit like when you twist bubble wrap (but a lot quieter).

Team work…
Another thing that has become apparent is how much my new left knee is benefitting from being forced to step up and do the work whilst my new right knee is recovering. My new left knee is less than 5 months old. It’s still a bit weak, but it’s getting stronger everyday.
 
July 29th - Day 10

Finding the balance…

Had a bit of trouble sleeping last night. I’ve experienced strange little twitches in my left thigh after that knee was done. They didn’t hurt, but they kept me awake at night. They tended to happen when I hadn’t done much during the day. I’ve had two “lazy days”, and now both my thighs twitch!!

Action required…
So, it was up for a walk this morning. Down to the shop to pick up newspapers for my mum-in-law and my neighbour; I started doing this on Saturdays during lockdown and it’s just sort of stuck (it’s just an excuse so I can buy some cream cakes for me). It’s about a 2 mile round trip and I managed it with 1 crutch.

The rest of the day was pretty event free, just cycles of physio then rest. I’ve attached a piccy, is 90 degrees, or what?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Poorlyknees Returns!!
    IMG_5341.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 84
Wow...Impressive!

I hope your sleep tonight is twitch free.
@PoorlyKnees
 
July 30th - Day 11

Getting active…

Following a very strange dream-filled night, I took the opportunity (presented by a favourable break in the weather) to get outside and be a bit more active. It can be a little uncomfortable and I have to know my limits, but doing some work in the garden offers a great way to exercise my new knee and the surrounding muscles. Putting on the ice-filled Cryo-Cuff on when all the work is done is a very soothing sensation.

Pain management…
I’m managing well on my scaled down painkiller regimen. I plan to reduce the level of Codeine further in the coming week.

How’s my new knee doing?…
The bruising resulting from the intra muscular anaesthetic is rapidly disappearing and the staples are starting to itch. I still have virtually no swelling around the joint so I can’t help feeling that the dressing is adversely affecting any increase to my range of motion. I’m looking forward to having my dressing removed at the end of the week.
 
July 31st - Day 12

Take your time…

I can walk almost normally, crutch-free. I can get in an out of the car. I can sit normally on a chair (no need to stick my leg out. I can even climb the stairs normally. It’s all well and good, but it’s very important that I get enough rest.

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…
I think I sat with my knee bent for a bit too long today, it’s a bit sore over the top of the kneecap. I have reduced my painkiller dosage which my be a contributing factor or a coincidence. Tomorrow will be a rest day.

It’s not the same…
The funny thing is, two days before surgery we went out to dinner with my son and his girlfriend. We had a lovely time, we shared the bill and when I tried to stand up from the table it really dawned on me how painful it was to rise from a chair and start walking. Arthritis loves to remind you it’s there. The pain I got after sitting today was not the same. No stabbing pain through my knee joint, in fact no pain at all from the joint. The pain I got was from the surgery, the trauma and the staples; it will pass. This is very reassuring.
 
August 1st - Day 13

Feeling a bit down…

Time seems to stand still when I can’t do what I want; I hate being bored. My new knee is a bit achy (not painful) and I feel as if every time I think of something to do I’m hampered in some way. I guess everyone gets this feeling. Time to have a word with myself.

What would happen if you could go back in time?…
Two weeks ago I played golf with a friend. I loaded my clubs into the car then had one of those checklist moments….clubs, trolley, course map, water bottle, painkillers…. check. To play a round of golf (which is, in effect, four hours of walking about) I would need to take Codeine-based painkillers before the first tee and probably a couple more half way round. It wouldn’t solve the problem, but it would allow me to complete the round without having to sit down and have a little cry (I’ve just turned 58 and yes, that has happened). In a few weeks I’ll be able to hit a few short shorts and in no time I’ll be back out there hitting every shot, chasing birdies and trying to out-drive my buddies.

How can you be so sure? …
5 months ago (today) I had my left knee done. I did my physio/rest/ice routine and got back on the course after 2 months. It was tough at first, but I was soon able to play without any discomfort from my left knee….just my right knee. Having no discomfort from my left knee has given me a taster of what it could be like once both my knees are pain free. It can happen, it will happen.

Let’s look forward…
So, I’m going to stop moping around whining about what I can’t do; get my mind straight; and concentrate on what I can do now. Put my energy into planning what I’m going to do tomorrow and dream about what I’ll be doing in a few weeks. Bring it on!
 
I feel for ya! At 7 weeks into my second TKA I am growing tired of this long slog... it was the same 6-7 weeks post op the first one. At times it's hard to focus on all the milestones accomplished, so I remind myself of future Very Long Walks and tai chi (eventually... next year sometime) a return to a particular form of very slow meditative weight training I enjoy.
 
So, I’m going to stop moping around whining about what I can’t do; get my mind straight; and concentrate on what I can do now. Put my energy into planning what I’m going to do tomorrow and dream about what I’ll be doing in a few weeks. Bring it on!
I love this! You have the right attitude!
 
August 2nd - Day 14

Two weeks post-op…

Feels like an important milestone. Comparing the progress of my right knee recovery with that of my left knee really is like comparing chalk and cheese. I was always expecting my right knee recovery to be more straightforward but I am surprised at the difference. I was just about able to lift my left foot on to the bottom stair after two weeks. I can walk up the stairs normally this time round.

Pain management…
I tried a “no pain-killer” day today. Just to see how it’s going. Overall it was fine, no sharp pain. A bit achy and I was not able to get around quite as easily as yesterday. I think I’ll bring back the pain-killers tomorrow.
 
Comparing the progress of my right knee recovery with that of my left knee really is like comparing chalk and cheese.
:heehee: Humor on point. Funny! First time I ever heard that one!
We do apples / oranges this side of the pond.

No shame in bringing pain relievers back on board at only two weeks post op.
I hope today has been better than yesterday.
 
i enjoy your daily updates! It’s an excellent method of recording progress! I will do the same when joining the recovery side.
I find it really helps me to reflect on the situation, think a bit more “bigger picture” and resist the urge to feel sorry for myself.
Good luck with your adventure!
 
August 3rd - Day 15

Not a good day…

So, yesterday I decided that I would skip the pain management. It got a bit uncomfortable towards the end of the day so I opted to take some medication before bed. I figured it could only help me get a good nights sleep. I was right, but…I woke up with an horrendous headache that kept me in bed all day. Sean (cat) did his best to support me by occupying 2/3 of the bed, but I felt rough…all day.
I don’t know what could have caused this, but I certainly got a lot of rest.

What did I learn from this?…
When I finally managed to get up (19:30). My knee felt fine, in fact it felt better than ever. I’ve had no further pain-killers so I’m led to believe that this noticeable improvement in my already happy knee must be down to the forced rest. Who knows?

And so to bed…
Anyway, I’m off to bed again (still got that headache), I’ve been up for just over 2 hours. I’m looking forward to tomorrow morning, I get my dressing removed and have my first appointment with my physiotherapist.
 
I remember the cat 'blankets' I had during my tkr recovery. They were a lot of comfort plus a pain in the butt! I'm a firm believer that pets help in our recovery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom