TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

@PolarBear60 just catching up with your thread. Wow - you are flying through this recovery! Well done on all the progress.
 
Wonderful news Jean! I really enjoy reading your progress reports! You are doing so great!
 
After yesterday's PT session, I debated about whether to walk this morning. I wound up walking. The same distance as yesterday took sixteen minutes instead of eleven. I petted my outside cat, came inside, had breakfast, and took a two-hour nap.

I stopped taking the OxyContin on Monday night. Today is my first day switching the Hydrocodone to twice a day. I'm supplementing with an unconventional pain relieving process in mid-afternoon (a non-pharmaceutical substitute for Tylenol). So far, all is going well.
 
It's great that you are doing so well. I'm happy for you. Be careful not to overdue though
 
Sounds like you are doing really well! Keep up the good work!
 
I did the same walk today (.37 miles according to MapMyWalk) only instead of two crutches, I used one cane. With the one cane, I felt my upper body was out of sync and stiff. I couldn't get a natural flow to my arm movements. My husband suggested I try two canes tomorrow, because that might help with a more natural arm movement and help me get a good stride going. I like that idea and plan to give it a try.
 
Two canes sound like they would be similar to my Nordic Poles. I love them. They take weight off the joints, help stabilize you, exercise your arms and shoulders, and help you with an upright natural stride. I hear they are quite the range in Sweden and Norway. Good luck with your two cane adventure!
 
I used the two canes today. I felt a much more fluid gait, but oh my, I found it way more tiring. Checking my MapMyWalk statistics, it's because I set a significantly faster pace with the two canes (poles).


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Staples removed. Cleared to begin driving on Friday. Extension 0 and flexion around 110 by doc's eyeball estimate. He's very pleased.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Wow! I can't drive til 6 weeks out. You are doing fantastic!
 
Then my PT came to the house this afternoon and worked with me on steps and sit-to-stand. Ugh. I so appreciate her feedback, but I'm sore tonight. Looking forward to seeing how everything feels in the morning. Will I recover? Hope so.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Be sure and ice and elevate tonight to help with that inflammation.
 
Iced and elevated throughout the night. Walked twenty minutes this morning on an out and back route. The distance to the long end of my block is a hair over a quarter mile, and it took me ten minutes to walk it this morning.

My knees are mildly protesting yesterday's PT session. My plan is to spend most of today resting and icing to help compensate for yesterday's overdo.

My focus for outpatient PT is going to be getting rid of the bad habits I developed with stairs over the past year while I have someone who can correct me knowledgeably. Too much turning sideways and other compensatory measures. OS has prescribed twice a week for six weeks. He doesn't think I'll need that much, but this is my chance to work on things, so I'll try to get as much benefit for me as I can get.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
You are walking much farther than I can walk and you are not that far out from surgery! You are very tough. I think it is great that you are using PT to YOUR advantage.
 
I firmly believe part of my progress has been because I've been working with this PT from the start this year. I by name requested her. I'm going back to the same outpatient PT folks I used last year, and my relationship with them was very interactive. Having a clearly defined goal going in this year should help a great deal.

I had to laugh at my OS. He mentioned I was reasonably stoic and handle pain pretty well. He said the worst ones are 50-year-old males who don't have a clue what pain is. (Apologies to any 50-year-old males reading this.) (My OS is an approximately 38-year-old male.)


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Wow! That's. A good bit of walking at this point, Jean. But I agree on the PT, use it to your advantage.
 
I also asked for my favorite PT. He even saw me in the hospital. I had seen him before after arthroscopic surgery and back problems. He is very knowledgeable and also gentle. I can't see him every time but he set me up with someone that I also like. I only have two more sessions to go!
 
Back
Top Bottom