Guest viewing is limited

TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

What wonderful future trips you have planned. Good future goals to work towards.
 
I found I needed plans to look forward too as well, goals of sorts. I wanted to go to several baseball games, Highland Games in the Laurel Mountains of PA, back to the beach etc. It felt wonderful to take part in those plans. I'm sure, Jean, you're looking forward to all these activities in a few months!
 
Five week update. My outpatient physical therapist (same one as last year) is amazed at how far ahead this knee is for where knees usually are at this point. I'm frustrated at the regression of my left knee (last year's project), but I agree with him that it's just angry that it's had to do all the work, and it will come around. Last year, about midway through therapy, he had me walk backwards on the treadmill. It hurt, and it hurt for two days afterward. When I told him, he said we wouldn't be doing that again! So, yesterday, on my first official day of PT, I walked backward on the treadmill with no ill-effects. Of course, the knee that hurt last year was my yet-to-be-replaced right knee, so that makes sense.

Short of getting on the floor, kneeling, squatting, running up or down stairs, or standing from a low seat, I can do pretty much anything. Just not all at once. I rest a lot. My right knee has a sensation of strained muscles with slight soreness. Swelling is still averaging 1 1/2 - 2" larger than my left knee. That will go down in time, and as that happens, I suspect the soreness will also go away.

I'm walking around the big block (.6miles) on non-therapy days. I'm not increasing that because it still feels like it's my limit. Also, my activity level throughout the day feels Ike a lot. My husband hasn't said anything, but I feel like I'm spending a lot of time in my chair, despite feeling like I'm doing more than I should. I can do something for 15-20 minutes, then indeed to rest for about an hour. Sometimes more. The key, to me, is that I do rest.

I have very little heat in my knee. There's the soreness I mentioned. I have a smaller dead zone on the outside of my knee than last year (for those of you wondering, I got feeling back in that area on my left knee at around 12-13 months). I get the occasional shooting zinger of pain that thankfully doesn't last long. I'm still sleeping downstairs in my recliner because I'm just not motivated to climb the stairs or to use the too short toilet upstairs (that's the real motivator). We have a work around to a raised seat -- my walker turned backwards over the toilet allows me to use my arms to raise up without excruciating pain, but I still prefer the downstairs set-up for now. (Last year I moved back upstairs at the 3-4 week point, so I'm milking it this year.) Like nearly everyone, I'm impatient to be back to normal. On the other hand, I'm enjoying time to read, crochet, watch movies, nap, and relax. I don't have the mind numbing brain fog from last time, so I can do those things. KarriB, still no blues sessions, so maybe my nutrition regimen has made a difference there? Or maybe it was the femoral block instead of the spinal block? Hard to tell.

I'd stopped taking the essential oil pain relief blend for a few days, but I put myself back on a morning and evening maintenance dose just because I feel like it helps.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
You are doing remarkably well. Hopefully it will only get easier from here on out.
 
Whatever the reason, I'm glad you haven't experienced the blues. That was the worst part for me along with nighttime sleeping. I'm usually a very upbeat person, but the infection took everything out of me. Here's hoping things continue to move onward and upward.
 
That's a great report, I never experienced the blues either and I'm thankful for that, I have a small area on my knee as you call it "the dead zone", it has no feeling, I figured some of those nerve endings are going to take a while to reconnect.
 
I only got the blues one day after this surgery. After the THR I was a wreck for at least a week. The lower outside part of my leg is numb. The doctor warned me about this. I know it took over a year for the feeling to come back in my hip. It doesn't bother me since I know it is normal.
 
What a great report! As your fellow June 21 TKR buddy, I'm doing pretty much the same things. I think what's helped the most is daily rest, elevation and icing. So glad you're doing so well!
:wow:
 
Six week update.

I started sleeping upstairs over the weekend. I'm gradually moving back to my bedroom, but I still use the recliner a lot during the day.

I walked into therapy yesterday morning, and my therapist said I was walking the best he's ever seen me walk. We modified an exercise yesterday that didn't seem to bother me while I was doing it, but last night I realized it did. He said it would work the hamstrings, and I noticed a tightness last night.

I went to bed early, but by 1am I realized I should have iced and taken something for the pain. I thought I had acetaminophen upstairs, but I did not. The only essential oil I had upstairs was a diluted bottle of PanAway, which I applied topically. I was pleased to get temporary relief with that, but it wasn't enough. Finally, I moved back downstairs, got ice, and made up an essential oil capsule of Copaiba, Frankincense, and Idaho Blue Spruce. Those two combinations allowed me to get comfortable enough to sleep for the rest of the night in my recliner.

With the therapy focus we've been employing, I've noticed a very slight improvement in my sit-to-stand and stair climbing and descending abilities. As I go upstairs at night and come down in the morning, I focus on proper form. The only time I need my cane is for the steps into and out of the house. We don't have a railing, so I use the cane. I also focus on proper form there. I still have a tendency to turn sideways, so I concentrate on catching myself doing that and correcting it.

Stamina is getting better, but I spend a lot of time working in my recliner. I spend less time napping, though.

The pain I experience in my left knee is from a patellar tracking problem caused by the knee doing too much while compensating for my right knee's weakness over the last year. Somehow, my overcompensation allowed my vastus medialis to weaken. As I strengthen it, the patella will track more correctly, and I'll experience less pain in my left knee. My home therapist identified the problem during our last session, and my outpatient therapist confirmed it and has designed my therapy to fix the problem. Since the left knee is well over a year out from therapy, strengthening exercise are entirely appropriate for it.

As I work with the two knees, it's interesting to note the differences in how they feel. I'm thankful my therapist explains why I'm feeling those differences and what he's doing for each knee to bring them to normal operation. I feel blessed to have this collaborative relationship.

I still have some tightness in my right hip. This is a old problem, possibly related to the knees, but I'm not sure. I guess I'll mention that at Thursday's therapy session. Also, my left heel was really bothering me last night. Thankfully, the Copaiba capsule seemed to help it, too. Nothing seems to help the numbness in my left foot that resulted from my December sciatica attack. I don't like the numbness, but I do prefer it to the sciatic pain. Walking backwards is supposed to help that, and that's one of the things I do during every therapy session, so maybe it will eventually improve.

Overall, I'm pleased with where I'm at in recovery.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you are making wonderful progress. You encourage me to do more. Are you doing the stairs with alternate legs or up with the good and down with the bad technique? I still am uncomfortable going downstairs and wonder if I should be working on that.
 
:wowspring:Great report. You are so lucky that you have a great PT. He/she sounds like they know exactly how to help you through your recovery.
 
FloridaGal, I am practicing alternating legs. I tried alternating legs last year after my first TKR, but the non-operative leg was too bad to allow me to do that reliably. Now, going upstairs is a little easier than going down with alternating legs, but I take it slowly and deliberately.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
What a great report! It's interesting that after we heal from the initial surgery, there are so many 'little' things that become really important to address so that our body functions properly. Your therapist sounds excellent and you can move forward with confidence in your treatment.
:wow:
 
This week's PT sessions have been intense. Not really, but they feel like it.

My left knee is making fabulous progress. My right knee (the newest one for those of you keeping score at home) seems to be at the fussy toddler stage this week. Hip discomfort (PT thinks it may be IT Band) and odd shooting pains. Pretty sure it's all normal, but it's a little uncomfortable. Got a nice, easy exercise for IT Band.

Dealing with the shooting pains tonight. Seem to get them for brief periods every couple of days in different locations.

In other news, we're all set up for the indoor yard sale this weekend, kicking off in the morning. I paced myself all week, so I didn't do too much on any given day.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
You've got a lot going on with your entire body right now. In addition to major healing, everything needs to work together again. The worst is behind you. Now it's managing the ups and downs. Hang in there and best of luck with the yard sale!
 
Jean it looks like you are doing extremely well overall...this is such balancing act.

It sounds like you have a wonderful therapist.

I can handle whatever discomfort is thrown at me during the day, but it seems like the worst of it it's always at night and sleep can be so elusive.

I hope your pain gets better!!
 
You're right, TML, lots of things are reintegrating and rebalancing in my body. It's all going to be good, probably sooner than later. Uva55, you're right, too. It's all healing pain. I've discovered a topical application of PanAway essential oil blend provides relief for between 20 minutes to three hours. I have an unexplained heel pain ( possibly more related to my December sciatica attack than to TKR) that I managed to soothe with that technique last night.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I rarely get on anymore but just did and read your remarkable update -- you are doing so well! Glad to hear that this second knee is now behind you and you have mobility to look forward to in the future!
 
Has it really only been seven weeks? Goodness gracious, it seems like it's been three months. Or more.

Good to see you, @Kansas Teacher ! I know you're out living life, but I'm so glad you stopped in to say hi. Hope your mom, kids, grandkids, and hubby are all well.

Yesterday, when my PT put me "on the rack" and I said it was too easy, he told me to get off, and he took me over to the sink and gave me a modified sink hang exercise that's a little more intense than the one I do at home. He told me to shoot for 30 (the standard number of reps at this PT place), but to stop when it got uncomfortable. I did 16. Then, he had another toughie for me. Despite all that, I feel okay today. Better still, I'm improving in my ability to go up and down stairs normally and to rise from a low-level seat. It's not effortless yet, but it's no longer excruciatingly painful. I'd rate it as mild to medium discomfort.

It's like I told him, this knee feels so amazing, yet at the same time, I'm thinking when will this feel better?

Saw my surgeon yesterday, and he sent me for x-rays (across the waiting room), which he says are perfect. He's pleased with my progress, and I see him again in November. My scar is a little funky, but my left knee scar was that way, too. It has laid down nicely, and I noticed after wearing long pants for a couple of hours on Saturday night that the new scar was a little flatter, too, so it's just a matter of time before it melts into my skin.

A friend of ours told me Saturday he hoped he never needed to get a scar like mine. I laughed and told him if he was ever in as much pain and discomfort as I was in, he'd welcome getting a scar like mine.

I'm ready to add a little more distance to my morning walks. Probably increase from .75 miles to a mile a day four days per week. Walk for four days, PT for two days, and one day to rest.

We made it through the yard sale last weekend. At the end of the month, we're setting up at a swap meet at a town about fifty miles down the road from us. We'll park two trailers on our spaces and set up our canopy on Thursday afternoon. We'll put our stuff out for sale on Friday morning. Then we'll pack up late Saturday afternoon, and pull out canopy down on Sunday morning and head for home. We'll stay in the local Best Western, so I plan to get some pool exercises from my PT for evening relaxation. We have a little generator which will power three or four fans on the field for personal comfort.

All this is gentle preparation for me to drive us to Hershey PA and back over two weeks in October. Sometime in September, I'll make the drive to and from San Antonio as a tune up.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom