TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

Took today off to give the knee additional rest. Had my final home PT session today. PT measured 120 flexion.

PT worked with me on sit-to-stand. When I reported pain in my left knee, she verified the type of pain and assessed I may have a little scar tissue. She massaged it with us checking it several times. As the pain shifted, she worked new areas of the incision site. (She said I'll probably need to work the right knee a little after it heals) She also assessed my kneecap is a little off center, and she gave me an exercise to get my Vastus Medialis firing sooner.

My first outpatient appointment is set up for Wednesday.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Tomorrow will be four weeks on my new right knee. Four steristrips remain but all but one are in the process of falling off. I don't use any assistive devices when I walk inside the house. I take a cane outside. This morning I wrapped my new knee in a neoprene wrap and took my cane for a walk about my block. It's .6 miles, and I walked it in 23 minutes. I carried the cane but didn't need it. (Note: This is much further than recommended in the progression for recovery, so don't try this at home unless you are comfortable with it and have time for a nap afterward.)

I took my last pain pill last Thursday morning (the 14th). I took two acetaminophen early Friday morning. Since then, the only pain reliever I've been using is a combination of three therapeutic grade essential oils in a capsule three times a day.

I begin outpatient PT twice a week for six weeks on Wednesday. I was cleared to drive as of the 15th, and I've made two short outings. For me, this second recovery feels like it's happening a little faster (but I'm still impatient with the pace of healing). I attribute that to not having to drag around another bum knee (since the left knee is healed and doing very well).


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Four steristrips remain but all but one are in the process of falling off.
You can probably just take these off, two weeks is long enough. For some reason in the US they like us to wait until they come off, just to torture us.
 
@PolarBear60 I'm so glad you are doing so well, that is a nice little walk.

I'm starting to get into essential oils, I love to infuse them and use some topically, but never ingested, can you please give me a little more information as to which and how much you are taking for the pain, Tylenol doesn't do much for me even the arthritis strength, I'm going back to work in 2 weeks and if I can find something natural than can help that would be great, I have ordered some veggie caps, and a couple of books on essential oils for research, already.
 
@uva55, I'm using Young Living Essential Oils. 5 drops each of Copaiba, Frankincense, and Idaho Blue Spruce in a vegetable cap. Ensure the oils you're using are pure, undiluted (feel free to add a carrier oil if you think your tummy may be upset) therapeutic grade essential oils on the Generally Regarded as Safe list (this brand and these specific oils are). Idaho Balsam Fir is recommended (and a little cheaper) for this blend, but it's out of stock. Idaho Blue Spruce has all the same constituents of Idaho Balsam Fir, plus two more, so the effects should be comparable.

I have no idea if I don't need anything for pain or if this works. But my sense is I experience an easing of restlessness and tension in my knee within twenty minutes of taking this combination. I'm using the new OTC rated Cool Azul Pain Relief Cream to soothe my tight muscles around my knee, and I find it helpful.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Interesting on the Essential Oils Jean! I have wanted to learn more of their health benefits but it seems like such a vast area- with so many different companies and so forth. I will be looking into Young Living because it's clear you have done some research and found a reputable product you feel comfortable with! Thank You for bringing this back to my attention!
 
@Suz I have been using some topically, and I diffuse all the time, I love burning candles but they bother my husband's throat, so I started diffusing essential oils, they don't bother him because they are natural, they actually do a much better job getting the fragrance throughout the house. Amazon even has a few books that are free and you can download to learn more about them and recipes you can make!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pinterest will overwhelm you with recipes.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Tested my stamina today. Husband had a dental appointment in a town 15 miles away. I drove him. We ran three small errands (I stayed in the truck for one and rested), I rested in the waiting room while he was at the dentist. We did grocery shopping at Walmart -- I rode the electric cart. We headed for home. I stopped at my veterinarian's on the way home to buy cat food, drop off old towels and wash cloths (vet was thrilled with wash cloths--did you know they are ideal for C-Sections? You do now.), and make boarding reservations for the entire herd in October. Made it home, put away the perishables, and headed for the recliner to rest for an hour before making dinner (which I was almost too tired to do but did manage). Resting again.

Husband will ride with me tomorrow on the 40 mile one way drive to PT to make sure I can handle it. In anticipation of the exertion, I didn't walk this morning, nor will I be walking tomorrow morning.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks. Walking would have been unwise.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Had my final home PT session today. PT measured 120 flexion.

I begin outpatient PT twice a week for six weeks on Wednesday. I was cleared to drive as of the 15th,

Husband will ride with me tomorrow on the 40 mile one way drive to PT to make sure I can handle it. In anticipation of the exertion, I didn't walk this morning, nor will I be walking tomorrow morning.
You're doing very well, Jean.
With a ROM of 120 already, you probably won't need much out-patient PT, so don't hesitate to cancel or cut back the sessions if you feel the 40-mile drive isn't worth it.
 
:wow: You are doing really well. We had our surgery the same day but you are doing much more than I. I'm still in the sleeping all-the-time phase. PT is quite a distance for you. I've found it helps to take a protein drink and ice packs in the car. Keep up the good work!
 
Thanks, TML. I sleep and rest a lot, too. Last year, when I had my first knee done, I had a great recovery, but this one, perhaps because I know more what to expect, seems to be progressing rapidly. Yet, I'm still impatient and have to remind myself I'm "only 4 weeks out." Saying that, here's my 4-week update.

First outpatient PT session today. I'm working with the same therapist I had last year, and he was blown away by where I'm at in my recovery compared to many patients he sees at this same point. As with last year, he is happy to work with me on the whole body, and I shared a few concerns I have in addition to my knee. I'm pretty sure I won't NEED the whole eight sessions, but I treat these as an opportunity to work with a personal trainer if you want to look at it that way. My copay is $12, so that's cheaper than a personal trainer, and these guys are better qualified than 99% of personal trainers.

Last year, he sent me home with two very basic exercises. This year, he sent me home with two very specific exercises designed to address my sit-to-stand and stair climbing/descending concerns, but they will not be painful to do, so I'm thrilled. What a difference a year makes and going into the therapy session with specific goals instead of well, uh, I want to move better, which is about where I was last year.

I was able to truthfully say my pain level was 0-1 today, and I've had zero pain medication of any kind (including my essential oils) since yesterday morning.

My surgeon said the only thing he could say about this knee is it could be better, worse, or the same as the other one in recovery. So far, it's better, which is what I challenged him to do.

I'm slated for PT twice a week for the next four weeks at least on Monday mornings and Thursday afternoons. That should spread things out well. Life is about to begin getting busy for me again, so I'll need to conserve energy. I'll walk on the mornings I don't have other activities planned until my stamina returns. Now that both knees are in good shape, I want to begin a walking program where I walk in the morning. There are several walkers around town, and I plan to become one of them (we're all independent of one another, but I see them walking by the house every day). Then I have my yard work for four properties, the ranch, and inside work as well as my writing work, and helping my husband with his projects when he needs it.

In August, we're doing a yard sale at the beginning of the month and setting up at a swap meet in a nearby town at the end of the month. October will be nearly three weeks on the road driving for our Hershey vacation. November involved a trip to see my parents. We're planning Grand Tour 2017 which will be a big train trip with a stop in Seattle for me to catch a cruise to Alaska -- it's the last of the 50 states I need to visit to have been to them all, and I'm anxious to "check that box." That's going to be longer than three weeks, but it should be the final huge trip to plan. Unless next year's Hershey trip, when we plan to conclude it by riding the Auto Train to Orlando. That's probably going to stretch beyond three weeks, too. (We get anxious to get home after two weeks, but some trips just have to take as long as they take.)

Life is gearing back up. I'm still resting more than it sounds like when I report here, and I'm good with that. But I'm happy to be moving again.
 
What a grand report and lovely future to look forward too! I am excited for you and your grand adventures.
 
Just a note. Make sure you note that the last three paragraphs of that last post were FUTURE plans. Things I am slowly recovering to be able to do. I am not doing them NOW.
 
It's nice to have plans like that. You have a reason to get better and look forward to fulfilling those plans. I'm so glad you're doing so well!
 
What a great report! I'm so happy for this to be your second knee, which is recovering really well, and you can plan your life now without restrictions. Your plans sound wonderful. Celebrations are in order!

:egypdance: :yay: :happydance: :dancy: :spin:
 
It's a great idea to have plans to look forward to once you are fully recovered. That helps to keep the blues away.
 
Back
Top Bottom