TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

Welcome back, Polar Bear! It was good to read your excellent report. It sounds like everything is progressing smoothly. In fact you are ahead of schedule. I hope that the healing continues with no surprises.
 
Congrats on an excellent report. Sounds like you're back to living your life!
 
Hi, I just read through your whole thread, and it sounds like you had a model experience for knee replacement. Congratulations! Stories such as yours do help those of us just now starting the process. Appreciated all your detail.
 
Thank you, greatlakes. I thought my left knee went well, but, yes, this right knee has been amazing. Despite fitting the definition of a model knee replacement, it's worthwhile to note it still has some aches and pains throughout the day and night. They are diminishing. I would still hesitate long and hard before getting onto the floor or kneeling. I'm not quite ready to think about squatting yet.

I think I forgot to mention I'm up to walking 1.25 miles. I'll do that for a week or two, then add another quarter mile when it feels appropriate. The important thing is to increase activity ever so gradually and to do what feels right for the knee. I think the experience of having the left knee done already increased my confidence for the right knee, so I was a little more comfortable doing things this time around. But I also have to credit the knee for being ready.
 
@PolarBear60 can I ask what is the small green box with op in it after your name mean I have one on mine just intrested I am veuing on tap talk

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
You are doing just so splendid. So happy to see such good recoveries. Keep up the awesome work!
 
Wow! You are walking 1.25 miles. I am going to have to work to catch up to you. Yes, gradually is the word. My competitive juices are flowing. I think I've been a little lazy. Of course, the rains will give me an excuse to stay inside just like the heat gave me an excuse. Do you walk outside or on a treadmill? I presume that it is hot in Texas.
 
Floridagal, it is hot in Texas, and we've had rain for the last couple of weeks. I did use rain as an excuse not to walk. My commitment is to "move in the morning," so I get out shortly after I get up and walk on shady streets during the coolest part of the day -- when it's "only 80-85 degrees F." LOL. Remember NOT to compare your recovery with anyone else's. Each recovery is unique, even on the same body.

I do have a recumbent stationary bike that I keep in a personal gym area in a shop building we own downtown. It's a mile away from the house. We were anticipating possible hail a week or so ago, so we drove the trucks over and tucked them into the shop (our three car garage doesn't have room for vehicles, go figure) and rode bikes back home. I was able to ride the one mile in about ten minutes with no trouble other than thinking I should lower my seat about an inch.

@Dawni , Your question prompted me to try out TapATalk on my phone to see what you meant. OP appears to mean I'm the original poster (OP). On your thread, you should see that next to your name.
 
@PolarBear60 thank you I thought it was a special badge of some sort that's why I hate shorting words

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
I started giggling because you had mentioned stationary bikes in the garage, then later said you ride bikes home from the garage, and I got a mental picture of your husband pushing a stationary bike home with you sitting and furiously pedaling. But putting aside my mental state, congratulations on being able to do normal workarounds like that. Makes me realize how severely restricted my life had become living with such bad knees, that such a normal thing to do was impossible to even consider. Did a lot if sitting in the car reading a book while others got out and did things. So looking forward to being able to drop something off, then walk or bike home, as you just did.
 
11 Week Update:

I'm not really noticing anything this week. Little things here and there. Of course, the numbness in the skin on the outside of my knee is still there. I expect that will be there until around the one year mark. On this knee, it's less numb than on the other knee, but it's numb all the same. Normal, I know.

I'm experiencing very mild still healing stuff, but I'm not thinking about my knee as much. I think I need to think about my knee more when I'm getting up off chairs of a comfortable height because I'm still trying to push myself up with my arms instead of focusing on using my legs to get off those chairs. If I begin using my legs more for those chairs, I believe it will become easier for the lower seats that I still have to think about so much.

Stairs are getting there. I still catch myself turning sideways, so I need to continue to pay attention both going up and coming down. I feel it in both knees, and I'd like them to get to the point where I don't. It's not painful, but I know it's a form of pain.

Overall, a good week and a good report. I even caught myself kicking my right leg up behind me to close the dishwasher door earlier this week. That indicates the return of a certain level of dexterity I hadn't anticipated.
 
Jean,
Glad to hear you are doing well. You are still less than a year out and both knees are still healing. Stairs, sit to stand, and the numbness will soon be a thing of the past.
 
I'm looking forward to that time, Pumpkln. I know it will come. Spreading the surgeries over a year has been a really tedious way to do this, but it is what it is. I'm so thankful everything is going so well.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I've been considering that, greatlakes. Weekend before last, I dropped a ladder on my big toe and bruised it. It's healing, but I was wishing I had the safety toe sneakers on that day!
 
Listen ladies, I just want to be able to walk normal I'm not taking any chances kicking anything...I feel like I should wear some kind of protective gear to make sure nothing hurts this baby:heehee:
 
Back
Top Bottom